Brian Stevenson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading through a bunch of geeklists, like I always am, and starting thinking.......

I think it would be really nice to be able to select an option when authoring a geeklist, that would automatically order the items on the list from most thumbs to least thumbs. (or vice Versa)

that way if I'm looking at a list Titled, "best two player games" or the like, the game that the most people responded to in that category would be first and then so on......

In really long lists that talk about the "best" or "worst" of something, I find that there will be a bunch of non sequitor entries and then a real gem near the end. It would just be nice to have this sorted, It might also increase the reader participation for the list with thumbs and other things.

I don't think it should be a default property, but perhaps a check box at the end when submitting the list for publication.

Talk amongst yourselves, I gave you a topic, Discuss,,,,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This feature used to exist, and disappeared at one point. It would be terribly convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with this sort of thing is that early votes effectively set the order of the list. People are much more likely to look at the early entries on a list than to go through the whole thing, and knowing that the list has already been sorted on ostensible quality and/or importance by other people makes it even more likely that you'll stop once you reach the point where you get bored. There's a serious positive feedback problem in voting systems that present options in the order of current vote tally. You really need a "vote" mode that presents entries in a random order, and a "results" mode that sorts them based on votes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stevenson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, and I don't think that it would be applicable for all lists. But if a person put together a list of suggested games for certain situations, such as (great party games under Thirty minutes) Then I'd love to look at it in this format.

That would push things like Busen Memo or totally non-related games to a later point.

Yes, it favors entries posted earlier rather than later, but Maybe as anoption when viewing a geeklist you could select sortable options based on date, thumbs or other criteria.

Of course, the author would be allowed to turn on/off these features when writing a list, so if he was doing a storyline style it would stay how he intended.

It might also be nice for auctions as well. The most active item could be moved to the front.

Maybe even sortable by number of comments. I'd like that as well. I think the comments are usually better than the original paragraph entered in geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stevenson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
The problem with this sort of thing is that early votes effectively set the order of the list. People are much more likely to look at the early entries on a list than to go through the whole thing,

This is valid, although geeklists don't often stay active long enough for there to be a major discrepency. Most of the time list disappear into the Aether fast enough and are replaced by a similar title within a week, if not hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.