Popular Tags: [View All]
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just received Runebound 2nd ed. I have only played three games. The first was a solo walkthrough learning experience. The second was a by the rules solo game and the third was a two player by the rules game. I have waited a long time to get this game and I must say I am thrilled so far. I think the 2 player game following the printed rules worked just fine and was quite fun. The solo game (which is the way I will be playing most often) was great fun too. My question to all of you is this. How many of you use the movement dice in solo games? While I had good fun, the movement seemed a little bogged down by the dice. I tried using a D6 and simply moving the number of spaces rolled with no terrain restrictions and that worked ok, but seemed to remove some of the challenge of the game. I am thinking that next game I may use the D6 and then add the add a threat variant for landing on non adventure spaces. I would love to see what all of you think on the subject and to hear how you have addresses solo movement in your games. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Happy gaming,
Marlinus64
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a solo game, you are racing against a ticking clock and movement dice can greatly affect the speed of your progres...as it should! You cannot ignore the geography of the board. In fact, that geography even matters is one of the unique, and better, aspects of this game.

If you want to ditch movement dice simply because they slow you down, than you loose an important aspect to the flavor and mechanics of the game. If you just don't like the movement dice mechanism, than I think you need an alternative that still takes geography into account, without the need of geography. For example, you could have a certain number of "movement points" (or roll for them) and make different terrain cost different amounts of movement points (e.g. roads and plains take 1, while mountains and forests might take 3).

I think there are many ideas for doing this floating out there, perhaps someone other than myself can point you in the right direction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. Since I am new to playing the game I imagine I haven't had time to get a feel for how all the elements play off one another. I do see from your comments that the movement dice are more integral to the game play than I had imagined. I am also beginning to see that many of the "problems" people have with the games elements could be looked at as the random variables of "life". For example, having to use the movement dice in solo games would be adding trials and travails to your journey (not getting a river symbol could be looked at as a bridge out or flooded area) which would make traveling more realistic. It just seemed to me that the movement dice in a solo game added a lot of time to the game, but that may have been because I was excited to get through my first games so I could see the endgame and get a feel for the overall experience. Please everyone feel free to keep commenting and I look forward to seeing everyone's ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the terrain dice. They sometimes make me think twice about going to certain parts of the map, knowing it will not be easy to get there, or back again.

They add a lot to the game. I really don't get people who dislike them.

Having to deal with terrain is part of adventuring, and is also pivotal in the fantasy genre (should we go throught the mountain pass, or through the mines of moria?).

Most games, when going after the blue/red gems, I have to struggle with having to go somewhere, but not having the movement dice, and the thereat track is dangerously close to 10. Should I take the path around the mountains, spending 3 turns to get there? Or should I use the single mountain die that I got this turn and hope for another one next turn, getting there in 2 moves?

That gives a lot to the game in terms of unpredictability, strategy, and sit-on-the-edge-of-your-set excitement.

Plus, there are lots of items, and ally special abilities that help movement, so taking the movement dice out of the game would rend them unusable.

My advice? Stick with them. You'll grow to love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Arbelaez
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP also needs to play solo games using the threat track.

Better yet, download Mr. Skeletor's guide to playing Runebound solo.

Otherwise, the solo games are really not that fun, the solo rules included in the manual are really not well thought out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.