Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-acknowledge the request below is interesting only as trivia.

We all know about the cult of the new phenomenon - a new game grabs everyone's fancy, rockets up the charts, and then falls down to its "level", whatever it ultimately ends up being.

In the stock market, stock prices come with a variable known as a "beta", which is roughly defined as follows (from Wiki):

The beta coefficient, in terms of finance and investing, describes how the expected return of a stock or portfolio is correlated to the return of the financial market as a whole.

An asset with a beta of 0 means that its price is not at all correlated with the market; that asset is independent. A positive beta means that the asset generally follows the market. A negative beta shows that the asset inversely follows the market; the asset generally decreases in value if the market goes up and vice versa (as is common with precious metals).

I think it would be a cool stat to include with board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
not a bad idea..as someone who has worked a bit in the industry I have seen this used largely.

My only issues is defintion:

how do you define "the market" in this situation? Most games do not move around a whole lot and the rankings don't wildly switch...it doesn't seem very stock market like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it might involve a little more work than the admins/programmers really want (or indeed need ) to do, but "the market" might be the global BGG game average, which varies very little over time, and then the beta would be relative for the game.

So for the purposes of having a "beta" on a game, it would measure how volatile a game is relative to games that have been on the geek a long time and have settled into their spot in the overall rankings. i.e. it would measure the up and down trends of newer games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe track how a game's rating evolves over time compared to historical patterns for other games starting from when they were released? (That is, create a simulated market that lines up the release date of all games ever.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.