Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » Rules

Subject: The watcher and palantur related rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1)Can the wathcer attack enemies after beeing revealed? If not its by far the most useless charracter in the game! Cave troll being one of the best by far against my usual opponents who waste 5 and 4 strenght cards at the beginning of the game everytime!

How can you play with the watcher?! Is there any strategy?! Is there any use for this charracter. Lets say pippin etc reveals the wathcer an uses his ability to retreat back! The end you just losed a charracter! Everyone can avoid it if they know were it is.

2) Sauron super card the palantur Reveal one area not the shrine and see all charracters there. Is this by far the most useless super card for sauron?! If you use it to spot a lets say legolass and gandalf in one area!? Then they are imidiately hid?! and you lose chance to choose which charracter you attack?! So ok you know for a while where legolass was but after he moves you can not be sure again!?

What strategies do you use to get anything positive with this card?

Its allmost like king revealed! Which btw. I have never seen having any practical use!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. The watcher cannot move, and therefore cannot attack after being revealed.
2. Revealed characters are revealed until the end of the turn, so you can use the Palantir before you attack, and still get to pick the character to battle first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
1)Can the wathcer attack enemies after beeing revealed? If not its by far the most useless charracter in the game! How can you play with the watcher?! Is there any strategy?! Is there any use for this charracter. Lets say pippin etc reveals the wathcer an uses his ability to retreat back! The end you just losed a charracter! Everyone can avoid it if they know were it is.

Park him in Gondor and leave him there (hidden or revealed). Str 6 blocker, forcing a tough fight or otherwise blocking half the path to Mordor for Frodo (or Sam).

Quote:
Cave troll being one of the best by far against my usual opponents who waste 5 and 4 strenght cards at the beginning of the game everytime!

Unless Gandalf does the meeting, I never use 4 or 5. Noble Sac removes him nicely (sure I'd like to save it for another nasty, but against CT it's 100% guaranteed success).

Quote:

We never use any of the special cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
vhirvela wrote:
1)Can the wathcer attack enemies after beeing revealed? If not its by far the most useless charracter in the game! Cave troll being one of the best by far against my usual opponents who waste 5 and 4 strenght cards at the beginning of the game everytime!

How can you play with the watcher?! Is there any strategy?! Is there any use for this charracter. Lets say pippin etc reveals the wathcer an uses his ability to retreat back! The end you just losed a charracter! Everyone can avoid it if they know were it is.

Once revealed he can't attack as already mentioned and as clearly stated in the rules. But he is far from useless as strength 6 is not so bad. Unlike Rauli I think his best use is in Fangorn especially when Treebeard is in play neutralising him and/or blocking the tunnel. Of course this may also depend on the character mix.
The troll isn't Sauron's best charakter imho. He is quite stupid without card protection. Except this rare case when you only have "retreat sidewards" left, but need to win that combat.

vhirvela wrote:

2) Sauron super card the palantur Reveal one area not the shrine and see all charracters there. Is this by far the most useless super card for sauron?! If you use it to spot a lets say legolass and gandalf in one area!? Then they are imidiately hid?! and you lose chance to choose which charracter you attack?! So ok you know for a while where legolass was but after he moves you can not be sure again!?

Please reread the rules on special cards or see azuredarkness' answer. Some situations where the palantir might work:
Classic game:
- at the beginning when you may find Boromir and send the black rider against him instead of say Shelob
- later when you want to use say Witch king and do not know where Merry is
- in the endgame when you want to fly against Frodo instead of Legolas
Variant game:
- at the beginning when you want to discover Wormtongue's most annoying path
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
Once revealed he can't attack as already mentioned and as clearly stated in the rules. But he is far from useless as strength 6 is not so bad. Unlike Rauli I think his best use is in Fangorn especially when Treebeard is in play neutralising him and/or blocking the tunnel. Of course this may also depend on the character mix.

We play random draft, so no guarantee TB is in play. Even worse for Watcher in Fangorn is if somebody "sneaks" into one of the mountain spaces, then TB jumps into Fangorn, it's 6 vs 6, but if that mountain-man is Variant Gandy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:

Its allmost like king revealed! Which btw. I have never seen having any practical use!

I really like A King Revealed. Many fellowship character's text only works if they are defending a battle. This card can force your opponent to attack you. It's also good for turn stalling. You don't have to move forward but your opponent does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.