Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone I was planning on purchasing TNW 2nd Ed. and I have been looking at the SD map. For those of you that own/play this game and have the new map did you find that it was worth the $30? I have never purchased a SD map from GMT so I am not exactly sure just what you get other than some tables/charts on the perimeter of the map.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the deluxe maps I find are not worth it, but the Napoleonic Wars map is pretty good, because it is bigger than the normal map. Most deluxe maps are simply the same as the normal map, but made out of thin card. I find once you put it under Plexiglas it makes no difference what the map is made of. Even not under plexi (which I wouldn't recommend), I'd rather have paper as it is easier to make sit flat. However the NW SD map is also much larger and has holding boxes. Is it worth 30 dollars? Well not for me, but it isn't a complete waste of time either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the input Colin, that is just what I was looking for. Can you tell me one other thing? do you know if the SD map will fit in the game box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe so as it is in two halves, but I'm not 1000% sure. I'll see if I can find out and post back asap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
It does fit in the box. I have the large map, but don't like it. I find that it's too big; the game works just fine - better, even - with the regular map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I emailed my friend whose copy we use to play. Given a decent table I like the SD map, but I can see your point NW has a pretty big footprint with all minor powers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Monkatron wrote:
It does fit in the box. I have the large map, but don't like it. I find that it's too big; the game works just fine - better, even - with the regular map.

I like the map because it so big - we always have at least four players, and since we seem to play it at least twice a month, the added elbow room and accessibility is well worth it.

You do need the space. It covers about 4.5 X 3 ft, and add another 2 X 3 for the nation cards.

The map that comes with the game is adequate. You don't need the SDEM, but for our group, it is a great add-on.

A great benefit of having it is you can spread your pieces around near the duchies without bleed over to adjacent duchies so you can see everything in the 'stack' at once, without using the Army Boxes, or having them buried under the leader stands. Really shines when your in a duchy packed with AGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lupi
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own personal thoughts on the "deluxe map" phenomenon;

If they put out a deluxe map is that a statement that the original version isn't a high enough quality product?

Skimp on a couple deluxe maps and you have enough to buy another whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
lupi wrote:

If they put out a deluxe map is that a statement that the original version isn't a high enough quality product?

Yep, that is the risk. I too wish it came, by default, with it, but others just have the space for the perfectly usable 22X34 that is in the TNW2ndEd box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lupi wrote:

I was thinking along these same lines and that was why I posted the question. But on the other hand I also started to wonder if getting feedback from players and playtesters lead to the need or desire to create the SD version of the map.

Either way I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had wonderful experiences with the deluxe mat, but I generally only use it for games where I am playing with the full compliment of players and using all of my miniatures. Otherwise the standard map is more than enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kemp
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Thanks, I emailed my friend whose copy we use to play. Given a decent table I like the SD map, but I can see your point NW has a pretty big footprint with all minor powers anyway.

I'm the friend and yes the map is excellent compared to the small map sundry aids.

The only complaint is that the Prussian Army Group box and the Austrian Army Group box should be swapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give a late addition to this post: in fact, the NapWars Deluxe Map was the first GMT Deluxe Map that I have bought, and I was disappointed with any other Deluxe Map thereafter, since the others only thicken the board but do not enlarge it. The enlargement (EE size) is very handy in respect to the player number. With 5 players, you sit a t a large table anyhow, so the board should be somewhat larger anyway.

Moreover, if you take a look at the image gallery, you'll find pics of the large gameboard with Viktory II playing pieces. IMO this combination was simply meant to be used (even though risk minis were intended in the first place). You'll even get some minis to use as frigates. All together, the map and the minis cost as much as the game itself, but when you like top notch components and are willing to pay for them, the decision is a no brainer (at least it was for me). Even though I really enjoy the game, I don't know if I'd play this with the standard map and counters again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.