Hide
8 Posts

Warhammer 40,000» Forums » General

Subject: need a bit of help getting a birthday gift for a friend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brentos zapff
msg tools
Hey guys, a buddy of mine has a birthday coming up and he's recently (well, a few months now) picked up on warhammer. What'd be a good gift to get him, something special but also useful in the game? I don't know anything about warhammer but I do know that he plays "Space Marines" and was excited to win a "tank" at a tournament the other week. I think he's just trying to build up a good army. I"m also interested in any other things that he may enjoy (books, other accesories and such).

Any help would be appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Steer him over to BLOOD BOWL!

Quick!

Seriously though, you could pick up PLANETSTRIKE -- it's a supplement to 40K, or maybe get him a set of Terminators. Every Space Marine Player LOVES terminators.

Then steer him over to BLOOD BOWL!

Which is STILL available in a complete box sets, by the way.....any FLGS store can order it for you from GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starbuck
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably anything you'd get him in the Space Marines line he could add to his army and be useful. Tactical squad, assault squad, a tank of some kind, or terminators like the previous poster suggested. And it probably won't matter if you get him something he already has... two tanks are better than one.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but if he doesn't have the Assault on Blackreach box set yet that'd be a great set for a starter and is a great value. Comes with a ton of marine stuff, plus a ton of Ork stuff that he could possibly trade away for more marine stuff or start another army with it, plus it comes with the rulebook, dice, etc.

Something else not many people think of would be hobby tools... flush edge snips are really useful, pin vise, needle files, paint brushes.

Blocks of dice are good, too, like the box of 36 chessex dice. Can always use dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am going to put my codex army books on ebay.

But if you want it, I could give them to u for a special price. It would be a big big surprise for your friend.

Codex including all different armies: Space marine, Dark Angel, Blood Angels, Chapter Approved, Chaos, Tyranid, Tau, Necron, Imperial Armour 1+2, Rule book, Index Astarte1+2, Orks, .....etc.

Almost all the books in the 40k series.

It will impress your friend for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentos zapff
msg tools
I'll mention that to him the next time I see him, he might be into it. Thanks! (I don't know how to use these forums. lol, that was to the first poster.

I'm sure he'd love the books but I don't know if it's in my budget atm, but we'll see, what price are you willing to offer them at? I'll tell him about them for sure.

I've been looking on the website and came to a few conclusions, but it all depends on how much I care to spend on him haha,

Space Marine Terminator Squad: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...=

Space Marine Venerable Dreadnought: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...=

Space Marine Bike Squad: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...=

Space Marine Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...=

Space Marine Land Raider: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?...=

Those are what i've picked out so far, still having trouble finding one that'd be best, although I'm looking at the Dreadnaught for some reason, what a pimp. Btw, these are so detailed it's great, even I might start playing soon! Also, what is the difference between the last 2 tanks, is one substantially better than the other or do they just serve 2 different purposes.

Thanks again for the posts guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference in the Land Raiders is all in the weapon lay outs. Different Land Raider gets different weapons. Pretty simple.

If you want to be a huge pimp, and the B-Day is after the 18th of July, get him one of the new Ironclad Dreadnought kits. It look really cool and is really useful in the game... plus it'd be brand new!

Can't go wrong with terminators, but if you got them, I'd suggest getting Close Combat Terminators, as I think they look cooler with hammers and claws and other bad-assery.

I'd also look into getting him the book "Horus Rising." It's the first book in the Horus Heresy series of books that depicts the epic civil war fought between Space Marines that essentially led to the 40k universe. Very fun books.

Cheers, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brentos zapff
msg tools
hahaha, that's perfect! His birthday is on the 19th! K, that's to cool, must be a sign of some sort.

Hopefully this'll ship on the 18th as that's when us dudes are gonna do our thing for a couple days. If not, oh well, he'll get his uber awesome new fighter soon enough.

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like this will be a very cool present for your friend. Kudos to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.