Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules about playing cards in combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok So could someone give me a rundown of the special occasions.

Lets say for example gandalf vs. mouth of sauron.

Gandalf forces sauron player to choose first. he chooses magic and uses it to play the eye of sauron then gandalf chooses?! a card and then if mouth of sauron wishes he can change it to card strenght 4 if that is allready been played he can still choose this but does sauron player lose that magic card either way?! or does it return to saurons hand?!

What if there is warg against gandalf?

What else can affect the order which cards are played and resolved in combat?!

Give me a list and is there a short rule of thumb so that i know how to play with different possibilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
Lets say for example gandalf vs. mouth of sauron....

that is "classic" gandalf vs. MoS. i'm not sure they were meant to be played together.

vhirvela wrote:
What if there is warg against gandalf?

in this case gandalf would lose his power (i.e. both would throw their cards at the same time, like a normal fight).

vhirvela wrote:
Give me a list and is there a short rule of thumb so that i know how to play with different possibilities?

plantier played on a (classic) frodo + sam stack then attacked by warg is kinda wonky. in this case the shadow player can choose to attack frodo with the warg and sam cannot change it due to the fact that the warg cancels all special powers in a given space. IIRC this particular entry is in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I thought variant rules WERE included in the box?! (You know those little cardboard pieces which repressent different charracters so you can draft the charracters you like!)

Kind of a bummer if you cant use all the new charracters together with the old ones?!

btw. what does variant sarumans reveal different card actually mean? You can choose what card they play against you in fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Magic is played against Gandalf, the Fellowship player only sees the Magic, and then must choose their own card. The Sauron player then resolves the Magic and may choose a different card. In the case of Mouth of Sauron, they may now choose to replace with the '4'

I find the rulebook pretty good in general about some corner cases.
The general rule is that the Fellowship character text takes effect first (excepting the Warg who cancels it), and the Sauron player's combat card gets resolved first. (So if both players play Magic, the Sauron player's Magic is resolved before the Fellowship player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Doroski
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Reish Galuta wrote:
If Magic is played against Gandalf, the Fellowship player only sees the Magic, and then must choose their own card. The Sauron player then resolves the Magic and may choose a different card.

I'm afraid this is incorrect. The rules clearly state that when Magic is played against classic Gandalf, the Sauron player must resolve the Magic card and choose his new card before Gandalf has to select his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walkingshaw
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drummond13 wrote:
The rules clearly state that when Magic is played against classic Gandalf, the Sauron player must resolve the Magic card and choose his new card before Gandalf has to select his own.

Yes, this is correct. From the rules:

"If the Sauron player plays his Magic card, he must completely resolve it and reveal his new card before the Fellowship player must choose and play a card."

ScrewTape wrote:
that is "classic" gandalf vs. MoS. i'm not sure they were meant to be played together.

vhirvela wrote:
Well I thought variant rules WERE included in the box?! (You know those little cardboard pieces which repressent different charracters so you can draft the charracters you like!)

Kind of a bummer if you cant use all the new charracters together with the old ones?!

They absolutely can be played together. And you're right, playing with a mix of variant and original characters is why they included those little cardboard chits, so you can keep track of who the other player has.

We mix and match characters all the time, often making up new ways of doing so (you choose secretly, your opponent chooses which ones you use, throw all the chits up and use the sides they land on, etc.). It works great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
throw all the chits up and use the sides they land on

We also use this one. And of course the throwing is done hidden, so really don't what the other guy is packing until you see a char revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
walkie wrote:
[q="drummond13"]

They absolutely can be played together. And you're right, playing with a mix of variant and original characters is why they included those little cardboard chits, so you can keep track of who the other player has.

We mix and match characters all the time, often making up new ways of doing so (you choose secretly, your opponent chooses which ones you use, throw all the chits up and use the sides they land on, etc.). It works great!

yeah everyone does it ALL-THE-TIME yet no-one seems to be able to clarify rules about Mos against classic gandalf forexample.

Is it true that normally you get to chooce what magic does after you see what other guy pickked? So for example I choose magic (as sauron) and opponent chooses elven cloak. Now I would have played some high number like 6 but when I see he has elven cloak I choose magic to play eye of sauron etc...and win the battle.

What does it actually even mean that in combat Ligth's charracters text abilities resolve first (except warg) and then in combat cards Sauron's combat card comes to play first. I think this is overly confusing.

Ok this might clarify that eye of sauron actually does something against double sacrifice. (But frankly I think common sense also would tell you that)

Isin't it easier to use something like MTG:"golden rule" that "if a card or ability says "NO"(or cancels something etc) and other card or ablitity says "YES". It's "NO" baby!

BTW. If you ever run out of combat cards. Do you then only compare numbers on charracters (which gives overwhelming advantage to sauron) or do you get all your combat cards back to be able to use again? (Which I think may favor Ligth player since in the end 2 more double sacrifice can be devastating!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
BTW. If you ever run out of combat cards. Do you then only compare numbers on charracters (which gives overwhelming advantage to sauron) or do you get all your combat cards back to be able to use again? (Which I think may favor Ligth player since in the end 2 more double sacrifice can be devastating!)

You get all the cards back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play magic: At which point do you choose the card you are going to use magic as?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
vhirvela wrote:
If you play magic: At which point do you choose the card you are going to use magic as?!
Is it true that normally you get to chooce what magic does after you see what other guy pickked? So for example I choose magic (as sauron) and opponent chooses elven cloak. Now I would have played some high number like 6 but when I see he has elven cloak I choose magic to play eye of sauron etc...and win the battle.

Yes, that's why Magic is so powerful, especially in Classic game, when a high number und Eye are already on the table. But as mentioned above this is not possible against Classic Gandalf. In this case you have to resolve magic before Gandalf plays a card.

vhirvela wrote:
What does it actually even mean that in combat Ligth's charracters text abilities resolve first (except warg) and then in combat cards Sauron's combat card comes to play first. I think this is overly confusing.

I think on the contrary that this wording helps to clarify a lot.
Note these two special cases from FAQ:
Quote:

- What exactly happens if two players both use magic at the same time? Does one
player choose and reveal his card first, allowing the other player to react to it?
In the rules it says whose text card goes first if there are two text cards played - it is
Sauron. So the Sauron player gets to pick first. Of course, if Eye of Sauron is in the
discards, he can use that to cancel the Fellowship player's use of Magic, which will
normally allow The Sauron player to win (Sauron has stonger characters).

- If variant Sarumon plays Magic and forces the Fellowship player to play another card,
must the Sauron player replace Magic with a card before the Fellowship plays another
card?
No. Character abilities are resolved first, so the Fellowship player must first play
another card. Then Sarumon resolves his Magic card.

"combat Ligth's charracters text abilities resolve first" does for example mean that Gimli beats Classic Orks and is still in the game. Or that Frodo can retreat from Classic Ork's deadly attack etc.

Back to the original question Mouth against Classic Gandalf. From the rules:
Quote:

After cards are revealed in battle, the Sauron player may replace his played card

With emphasis on cards I'd say, mouth can change his card after Gandalf having played his card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.