Hide
6 Posts

Fury of Dracula (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: SENSE OF EMERGENCY - Vampires vs. Vampire Track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dee Kay
msg tools
Today a fight broke out at the table, and a careful reading of the German and English rulebooks did not bring peace.

Here's our problem:

SENSE OF EMERGENCY says that "the Hunter must lose a number of Health equal to the number of Vampires Dracula still needs to win the game".

Our Dracula's Vampire Track showed 2 points.

In his eyes we would have to spend 4 points of Health to use SENSE OF EMERGENCY - because this is the number he still needed to win.

In the hunter's eyes we needed to spend only 2 points of health, because each matured vampire would give Drac 2 victory points and therefore "the number of vampires he still needed to win" was only 2.

So do VAMPIRES equal numbers on the VAMPIRE POINTS TRACK - or do VAMPIRES equal MATURED VAMPIRES.

Could anybody give us an answer to settle our argument?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have lost 4 health.

The rules wrote:
Dracula Vampire Marker
This marker is used to track Dracula's progress towards his goal of an Un-Dead empire. In the standard game, Dracula wins the moment he manages to advance this marker to six or more Vampires. He advances this marker by successfully maturing New Vampire encounters, defeating Hunters, and by just surviving to see another dawn.

From this, a "Vampire" is one of the six VPs that Dracula needs to obtain to win. One of the ways of doing this is by maturing New Vampire encounters (which actually grants two "Vampires").

Cheers,
PP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 5 of the English rulebook in the center of the left hand column is the "Dracula Vampire Marker" explanation. It says:

"In the standard game, Dracula wins the moment he manages to advance this marker to six or more Vampires." This implies that each point is one vampire.

The New Vampire explanation on the back cover of the rules describes one Vampire per marker that equals 2 points (vampires) when matured.

So there seems to be a slight discrepancy between the rules on page 5 and the rules (or at least the description of the marker) on the back cover.

I think the rule on page 5 supercedes the description of the New Vampire Marker. I would side with the Dracula player in your game. I think he was correct in asserting that the Hunters need to expend 4 Health points to use the Sense of Emergency power. This is how I've played the game in the past, as well.

Looks like PsuedoPserious beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula needs to achieve 6 victory points which are only called vampires because of the theme.

And as victory can be reached without even maturing a New Vampire encounter at all it doesn't mean that sense of emergency would cost zero health. So it is obviously not a feasible thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee Kay
msg tools
Thanks for both of your replies!
It makes perfect sense, though I still find it confusing in a strictly atmospheric kind of sense to have "invisible vampires" coming up each morning and every time one of the hunters get killed.

Anyway the count was pleased with your arguments and is probably going to kill us all the quicker in the next game.

I suppose in our case it's the hunters that SUCK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice GlamourSuicide
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools

*evil laughter*
Beware of the Coconutvampirebats! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.