Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Each time stocks of a certain chain are purchased, one share of that type of stock is set aside as a market share. When a merger occurs the market share total of the chain acquired counts as an additional player (without money), eliminating or halving a majority or minority pay out for another player(s). When available shares for a chain run out market shares are sold.

Credit the old DOS PC version of the game from the 90s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you set aside one share for each share purchased, or just one share total? In other words, if I buy three shares of Tower, do I put one or three shares of Tower in the market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
It's one only.
This variant may be a relief for those players that start to find counting shares a dominant part of any strategy used. A similar variant would be to find a way to obscure all (player and available) share counts.
I believe the old PC version also allowed games with hidden share counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I do have another question though. Do you put a share in the market after the first free share for founding a company is awarded? Or is it only after a player actually purchases shares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
cptwacky wrote:
This variant may be a relief for those players that start to find counting shares a dominant part of any strategy used.

It's supposed to be a dominant part of any strategy used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
It's supposed to be a dominant part of any strategy used.

Very true. However, in the two-player game, this is a bit of a non-issue anyway. It's simple enough to count your own shares and the shares in the bank, and know how many your opponent is holding. I'm looking at the market share variant as a possible alternative to the "official" two player rules (i.e., draw a random tile). Any thoughts on how this works in play with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I've found it plays nice with two and it feels like something new, but still Aquire. Card counting isn't abolished but it is altered for something different.

I'm of the opinion the variant may be considered "official" since the rule was published, albeit in a video game version of the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for the delay...its for purchased shares only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.