Le Havre» Forums » Rules

Subject: Subtle question maybe only Uwe can answer... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Dore
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This seems to be clearly a rules interpretation as it's not explicitly answered by the rules. My group is split 50-50 on the answer. The rules allow me to build two buildings from the same pile... one after the other if I put my worker on the construction firm that enables me to build two buildings. The rules also state that I can buy a building at any time. Here's my question: When on the 2-build construction firm can I from one pile only build the top building, buy the next building, then build the building under that effectively splitting up the two builds with a buy in between? To me it seems like a bending of the rules. If it's come up, how have the rest of you resolved this question? And Uwe... what's your final answer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to hear as well. Ponton might know.

We allow buys "in the middle" and there haven't been any arguments about this (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem pretty clear on this. From page 5 of the English rules: "In addition to the Supply and Main actions, a player can buy one or more Building and/or Ship cards at any time during his own turn." (the bold writing is used in the rulebook as well) You can build, buy, and build back to back to back. You'll have to do better than this to get Uwe to answer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, never even thought of this one. Yes, it says any time, but in the middle of an action just seems wrong.

I guess it'd be allowed, officially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in 99% of cases we're talking about the Black Market and the Claymound as the middle buys. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That selling rule is an equally odd duck. Selling "may even be taken during another player’s turn, but not while she is taking an action."

That leaves you with fractional timing issues. Filling the offer spaces is a player action. When does this action start so as to prevent the other person from cutting in? At what point does it end, allowing selling again? When does their main action begin, when they think of what they're going to do, when their hand starts to move, do they declare it out loud?

Yeah, it rarely matters, but allowing one player to do things on another player's turn is just messy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You just can't sell it out from under the current player while they are using it, is the idea behind it. taking an action=using it It can not be used to stop someone from using the building if they have decised to. If you know they are going to use it on their turn, you could sell it before they hop onto it.

The OP? we do buy anytime during your turn, before or after an action, or during an action if the case allows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I think in 99% of cases we're talking about the Black Market and the Claymound as the middle buys. Right?

I've on several occasion seen late game buildings get bought in the middle of someone's double build. There are several reasons to do this: perhaps a player wanted a certain building (e.g. a scoring one) and only had a certain amount of brick (and no intentions of getting more). Also preventing other players from building is a huge incentive to buy if you have the money. I've certainly seen this tactic more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markinho Nieno
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it right the way "buy at any time". So yes. it can be played like this at its sometimes a good move. but we always let the action end.´, before buying. coolcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortunately someone already thought of this scenario.

From the "Buildings Overview" that comes with the game:

Construction Firm
...A player may even use the Construction Firm to build one building, then use an additional action to buy the next building, and then build the third in the pile with the Construction Firm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read this thread earlier, but I see you've already find the passage in the rules that explicitely allows you to build, buy*, and then build for the second time using the CF.

PS: The "*" above is meant informatically: buy one or more times if you like or don't.

Edit: Going even further, you can: build a building, immediately sell it to have the money to buy the next one from a stack and then finally build for the second time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I've on several occasion seen late game buildings get bought in the middle of someone's double build. There are several reasons to do this: perhaps a player wanted a certain building (e.g. a scoring one) and only had a certain amount of brick (and no intentions of getting more). Also preventing other players from building is a huge incentive to buy if you have the money. I've certainly seen this tactic more than once.

I'd buy the Shipping building or the Wharf between 2 other decent buildings. Perhaps I'd sell the first building to buy the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Enríquez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AFAIK you cannot buy a building directly from the building proposal piles, since they weren't already built. Only buildings from the town can be bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
McErniak wrote:
AFAIK you cannot buy a building directly from the building proposal piles, since they weren't already built. Only buildings from the town can be bought.

No, you explicitely are allowed to buy buildings from the Building Proposals. This is seen as another company/town has built them for money and now transferred to Le Havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Enríquez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ooops so I've been playing wrong!:modest:Thank you for the point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.