James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently created a set of rethemed cards for Dominion and Dominion: Intrigue here and here. People have started asking questions about image files suitable for printing, but I've never done that before. Any tips?

The cards were made with Powerpoint, and I made the images with screencapture. Is that sufficient? What DPI should I use?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Most universal file format would be PDF. There are free virtual printer drivers to create PDF files that do the trick, but some of those create hideously large files and have limited options to set desired resolution. (You could do that in Open Office, but downloading and installing Open Office just for this seem a bit silly.)
There may be an issue with the card artwork, however. I'm assuming that you didn't draw it yourself. In that case, the artwork is most likely copyrighted and you would not be allowed to upload files using that artwork anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Most universal file format would be PDF...

Except for maybe .JPG or .PNG. Either will result in files that are smaller than the same image in .PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:
Except for maybe .JPG or .PNG. Either will result in files that are smaller than the same image in .PDF.

True, but if there are many pages of cards, a PDF file is a lot more convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right that the images are not mine. I was hoping they were covered by a fair use policy, but I'll post any further files off BGG.

Will there be any loss of resolution if I made a PDF of image files?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That depends on your settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
kswingruber wrote:

True, but if there are many pages of cards, a PDF file is a lot more convenient.

You're both true, depending on the context.
When producing definitive PnP - yes, the PDF is wide used.

I often prefer the .PNG (with layers) especially with the translation & other custom editing in mind...

No matter the file format, the basic "true" print resolution starts at 600 dpi => which means large files => usually too large for easy handling (e.g. 1500*2100 pixels for one common 2.5*3.5 card)

For a home inkjet printer the 300dpi is acceptable resolution todaycool You have to start with this from the beginning to avoid artifical bitmap zooming later (which degrades especially the texts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.