Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I just found this website. It seems pretty cool -- does anyone else use it?

http://www.goodreads.com/

You can note which books you've read, which you're reading, and which you want to read. And you can rate what you've read. And write reviews. It's like IMDB for books!

And here I was, considering making a MySQL database on my computer just to keep track of what we've got. That would have taken a lot of time! (I've been planning it for months -- you can see how far I've gotten...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Amy, lots of us use it. We've been doing so for years without telling you. Pretty mean, eh? Mostly I just use it to see what Stven Carlberg and Chris Lohroff are reading lately, since they're my only contacts there that ever update with any frequency.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it, but it's so Facebooky that I ran screaming back to the dry and serious librarything.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you didn't read MY reviews, sbszine. In not one of them do I send you an easter egg; a request for an accordion for my farm; the results of my "Which Giant Ugly Toadstool Looking Goofball Ugly Damned Ugly Thing Are YOU?" quiz; or anything like that. Mostly I just try to lie about which books I've read--I have never read any books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
G'wan then -- is there a page of your reviews? Here are my teeny handful:

http://www.librarything.com/profile_reviews.php?view=sbszine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For crying out loud, I only logged onto the thing today for the first time in months because Amy mentioned it. You expect me to make "a page?" My reviews say nothing about the books--just about the reviewer. It's a trick I learned from T.S. Eliot.

Wow, Phil, I'm sorry that edition of Saki's work hurt your eyes! Did they get better? Can you see this??? I love Munro's work. He is my seminal influence, which means that he spilled his seed on the seat of my motor scooter one Christmas. Whoops, that's pretty RSP. Scratch that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no! I just got to your excoriation of "Ulysses." That was cold! As somebody who suffered eye strain from that lousy H.H. Munro edition, have you no sympathy for poor, blind-as-a-bat Joyce? Ah, how callow these youthful readers can be! You're right, of course, the book sucks, and it's all just an excuse for people to drown their sorrow in Guinness and moan over and over about the man's greatness. This is why Ireland will never be a superpower--too much devotion to that crappy guy and his witless books. But hey, the one story in Dubliners about the child molester was creepy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no!! Now you're all fawning over Pynchon and his "Mucho Maas" punning in TCOL49. Why don't you just french kiss Joe Gola for a few days? It's as good as reading that book, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without logging in (therefore, without this being an informed opinion), it looks a lot like Anobii. Anobii is nice, but it's no BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Mr C, my reviews are in the left hand column. The unwashed masses give their two cents in the right hand column, which is what you are reading.

For the record:

Ulysses - gave up halfway through... perhaps it was an easier read in the original serial form?
Saki - easy on the eyes, like Beyonce
Lot 49 - a solid 3 out of 5
Dubliners - loved it, even (especially) the child molesting bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Ah, Mr C, my reviews are in the left hand column. The unwashed masses give their two cents in the right hand column, which is what you are reading.

For the record:

Ulysses - gave up halfway through... perhaps it was an easier read in the original serial form?
Saki - easy on the eyes, like Beyonce
Lot 49 - a solid 3 out of 5
Dubliners - loved it, even (especially) the child molesting bits

You mean someone even remotely likes The Crying of lot 49? :shudder:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh フィル, thank goodness, you really had me scared there. I didn't notice the fact that some miscreants snuck onto your page. I couldn't get through any Joyce but Dubliners, and I am bored by Pynchon, though all my best friends in college swore up and down and sideways that I'd love him. Really, is ANY book sufficient to displace the love in my heart for Felix the Cat? Not even a book about Felix the Cat could do it, so why read books?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What sort of book would he have in his bag of tricks, I wonder? H.L. Mencken prolly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's too bad about Fortress of Owls. It sounds like it would be REALLY COOL! A giant fortress, all made out of owls. They could just fly the whole shebang out of there at night and eat a giant mouse, on the way to a safer place for the fortress. They could use the giant owl pellets from eating the giant mice to bean their attackers from up high. Oh man, I am sad that she missed so much of the really obvious greatness of her pretty solidly entertaining premise, there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
You mean someone even remotely likes The Crying of lot 49? :shudder:

Well, it's a slender volume, at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, maybe this link will work..I think it shows all my books listed on Goodreads, which are perhaps on billionth of the number of books we have lying around this cluttered mansion that I call "my hovel of cluttery books and junk."

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/843153

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Wow, that's too bad about Fortress of Owls. It sounds like it would be REALLY COOL! A giant fortress, all made out of owls. They could just fly the whole shebang out of there at night and eat a giant mouse, on the way to a safer place for the fortress. They could use the giant owl pellets from eating the giant mice to bean their attackers from up high. Oh man, I am sad that she missed so much of the really obvious greatness of her pretty solidly entertaining premise, there.

Apparently she's cranking out still more of these: Fortress of Ice I think, then hopefully a Fortress of Single Malt Whisky. In the meantime you're safer reading Lot 49 to Toggy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Okay, maybe this link will work..I think it shows all my books listed on Goodreads, which are perhaps on billionth of the number of books we have lying around this cluttered mansion that I call "my hovel of cluttery books and junk."

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/843153

Big on mysteries! Just last night I was watching Inspector Morse (the one where he bangs up a young Christopher Eccleston) and the new Miss Marple (the one where all the villains die afore she can bang them up). Do you like those? I am keen on Morse but this new sex and drugs type Miss Marple is SUPER LAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read mysteries almost exclusively for a year or two, and lots of them stand out. I haven't seen enough Morse stuff to comment, other than to say that I like that which I've seen. I've seen every version of Poirot ever done (okay, not the Afghani Poirot or the version done in bunraku.) Marple I haven't really seen for many years, since perhaps old what's-her-name had a run at it. I will look for sexy Marple, though, just because the idea of it is somewhat revolting, and I like nothing more than revulsion.

I think the bulk of my list on Goodreads was added in the few days when I first heard of the service--I was struggling to think how to pad out my "A Confederacy of Dunces self-sufficient libary in one book" collection, and for some reason series books seemed easiest. Of course I failed to think of Gene Wolf, or Iain Banks, both of whom we've each read. (I could have put in the Moosewood Cafe cookbook that somebody gave us for a wedding gift, just to please you, but I seem to recall that I never used it or looked at it much.) I think you and I have a large intersection of taste, but you're probably far more of a critical thinker than I can ever expect to be. I was one of those bright 8 year old who burned out at 8 and a half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ooookay... so maybe I'll check out librarything.com

Thanks, sbszine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My LibraryThing account was filled up in one go also. It tops out at 200 books, hence the brief peering at Goodreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on for a while, but only recently have been rating stuff:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1656680
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like bibliophil.org for straight-up logging of books read, reviews, and statistics. There are no ads and sometimes the site is wonky but it works well enough for my purposes. I've been logging my reads in bibliophil.org for years, and I've tried out Goodreads and other similar sites, but I still prefer bibliophil.org.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
My LibraryThing account was filled up in one go also. It tops out at 200 books, hence the brief peering at Goodreads.

Well unless you want to spend a bit of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried goodreads for a while and it is fine. However, I wanted a little more flexibility so I joined the borg and have been using google's ilibrary which allows tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.