Bill Jelinek
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife, son (John), and I had time for a quick game tonight, so John pulled out UNO Flash. If you haven't played, it's basic UNO, but the turn order is randomized and there's a 4- or 6-second (you set it at the beginning of the game) time-limit on your card play. If the timer expires, you have to pick up two cards.

It all sounds much better than it is. The timer element is OK, it keeps the game moving. The randomized turn order, however, removes the last vestige of strategy from the game resulting in a very aggravating and frustrating experience. Now when you play the Draw 2 or Wild-Draw 4 card, you could well be drawing the penalty cards yourself if the turn should come back to you immediately. Not that UNO is a strategically deep game to begin with, but now you can't even play a Draw card on the leader with guaranteed effect.

The fact that this situation comes into play every hand really detracts from the game. I found it very frustrating knowing that even when I held a card that would affect the leader in regular UNO, whether the card actually did what I wanted was completely out of my hands. shake

Anyway, UNO is a decent family game. We even enjoy UNO Attack! (or "UNO Kill" as it's come to be known in our house devil ), but the UNO Flash variant really misses the mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this is useful information. I was thinking of picking this up for the speed of play aspect but it sounds like a game that is too dumb even for people looking for a dumb game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jelinek
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are absolutely correct. Try UNO Attack! instead. It doesn't address speed of play, but the card-spewing machine is usually good for laughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.