Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off: an army which is intercepted and decided to fight (rather than pull back), has its movement ended after battle, right? I couldn't find something which explicitly said it, but I assume that all battles mean movement is ended.

Second: T. Longus counter-attacks on a 1 or 2 if the original attacker. If he is Intercepted, is he the original attacker still?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, for both questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Borg
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Yes, for both questions."

As far as I understand to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For the second question:
Rule 12.1: "Interception forces the moving army to fight a battle..."
Rule 14.5: "The player whose moving army started the battle begins as the attacker and the other player as the defender."

So it would indeed seem Longus (who was moving and got intercepted and thus forced to battle) is the original attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
For the second question:
Rule 14.5: "The player whose moving army started the battle begins as the attacker and the other player as the defender."

So it would indeed seem Longus (who was moving and got intercepted and thus forced to battle) is the original attacker.

I'm not an HRC nut, but based on those two cited rules, wouldn't the army that intercepted Longus (e.g. Hannibal) be the "player whose moving army started the battle"? That is, Longus, if he is intercepted, is not starting the battle; the army intercepting him has started the battle. So I would think, no, Longus would not get his counter-attack bonus.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
russ wrote:
For the second question:

I'm not an HRC nut, but based on those two cited rules, wouldn't the army that intercepted Longus (e.g. Hannibal) be the "player whose moving army started the battle"? That is, Longus, if he is intercepted, is not starting the battle; the army intercepting him has started the battle. So I would think, no, Longus would not get his counter-attack bonus.

My quick interpretation was that they are using "moving" in the formal sense of "performing the Move action" (not to be confused with the Intercept action). As another recent thread showed, "Movement" has certain properties (e.g. limit of 10 CUs) that other things (e.g. Retreating) don't have, even though those other things are (in the informal sense) moving.

But I agree it's not entirely clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
russ wrote:
For the second question:

Chris

The intercepting army doesn't start the battle. They intercept into the space, but have no input on whether a battle occurs or not.

The rest of the sentence quoted above makes it clear that the moving army is the one that was intercepted (the active army).

Rule 12.1: Interception forces the moving Army to fight a battle or back up one space.

Since those are the options available to the army being intercepted, that must be the army they are calling the moving army.

It's further clarified that the moving army is still the attacker in rule 12.4: "The original active player will still play their BC's first in the battle, not the intercepting non-active player" (in 14.5, Sequence of Battle Resolution, the attacker plays cards first)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueJackal wrote:
First off: an army which is intercepted and decided to fight (rather than pull back), has its movement ended after battle, right? I couldn't find something which explicitly said it, but I assume that all battles mean movement is ended.

Since I had to pull out my rulebook for the second question, here's the citation for the first:

Rule 14.0, Battles: (2nd sentence) A Battle forces the moving Army to stop and end its movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker Hirscher
Germany
Oftersheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And to add two rules:

14.5 (regarding battle)
Quote:
The active player begins as the attacker

12.4 (regarding interception, end of paragraph)
Quote:
The original active player
will still play their BCs first in the battle, not the intercepting
non-active player.

So, as was said before: Yes to both questions. Have fun!

Edit: Just noticed, 14.5 seems to be a clarification in the VG rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.