Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evidently FRED is now permitting discounting on this game (and, it seems, Age of Steam) because some retailers are now selling it 25% - 30% off! At last I can buy this (still pricey) game! I still may wait for the next, corrected printing, but it's pretty good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresh meat for the grinder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn... 2 months after I give in and buy, it gets discounted.
Well, good for all the new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom from Boards & Bits said something in in a post about them relaxing the pricing since they were coming out with a new edition, otherwise, they'd never sell at the same price. That doesn't explain AoS though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Let's hope this was precipitated by a business observation based on market mechanics, not some artificial, ruinous, governmental meddling.

I'm pretty sure Barack Obama personally ordered the FTC to act on this vital matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
I still may wait for the next, corrected printing, but it's pretty good to go.
There will probably be a "next" printing (who knows if that one will be discounted). I wouldn't bet a whole lot of money on the "corrected" part, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
aaxiom wrote:
Let's hope this was precipitated by a business observation based on market mechanics, not some artificial, ruinous, governmental meddling.

I'm pretty sure Barack Obama personally ordered the FTC to act on this vital matter.

Yeah I don't see what this has to do with any small/large government arguement. FRED didn't discount. FRED now discount. Seems like a change in business strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the government, in the form of the US Supreme Court, did already weigh in on the subject and explicitly permitted manufacturers to set minimum prices on their goods when sold through retail.

I don't know that the new printing has anything to do with it - but I don't really know. I thought that the new printing was going to just have some minor tweaks.

I suspect that FRED is playing around with the policy, changing it so that older catalog games are no longer price protected. It makes some sense. You have a new game and you want to get the assistance of B&M retailers to promote and demo it, so you protect their prices. Once the game has been out for a while, you don't rely on their assistance (you've both moved on to newer things), so now you relax the price controls in order to let the game reach a wider audience.

Some retailers are discounting AoS and some aren't. It may be a case of renegade retailers - or perhaps FRED was finding that they needed to remain competitive with the Mayfair Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the discount is to clear stock as a new (and hopefully corrected) edition comes out. I may finally purchase a copy, if the printing is finally correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is also being discounted. I don't think this is about TtA editions and changes. I think it is about applying a new policy to older games in the catalog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
If it is market-driven: Good. If it's government-driven: Bad.

An opinion, from someone who enjoys what freedom remains.

And yet, the end effect is the same.

A response, from someone who enjoys reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

Shouldn't that be "...from someone who enjoys what reality remains"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

So, for example, if protests in Iran die down on their own, or do so because of government crack down - it is no matter, the effect is the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Jonathan Degann wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

So, for example, if protests in Iran die down on their own, or do so because of government crack down - it is no matter, the effect is the same?

Yep. Government gives you your games... the people who create them don't. Government is just so incredibly wonderful. My mistake.

I agree. As soon as the government stops telling me who I can marry, who who I can screw, when I can choose to terminate a pregnancy, and when my kids can learn about responsible birth control, my world will be a better place. Then maybe they can focus on things like infrastructure and social programs like they're supposed.

And really, Phil, how big does the chip on your shoulder have to be for you to turn this discussion into a political soapbox? Is there really anyone out here foolish enough to think the government is forcing FRED's hand on the couple thousand units of games they sell? Paranoid much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
aaxiom wrote:
Jonathan Degann wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

Yep. Government gives you your games... the people who create them don't. Government is just so incredibly wonderful. My mistake.

I agree. As soon as the government stops telling me who I can marry, who who I can screw, when I can choose to terminate a pregnancy, and when my kids can learn about responsible birth control, my world will be a better place. Then maybe they can focus on things like infrastructure and social programs like they're supposed.

And really, Phil, how big does the chip on your shoulder have to be for you to turn this discussion into a political soapbox? Is there really anyone out here foolish enough to think the government is forcing FRED's hand on the couple thousand units of games they sell? Paranoid much?

In America, they came first for the Game Publishers, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Game Publisher...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
I was speaking with a friend of mine who runs an online game store a couple weeks ago. He indicated that FRED is apparently dropping the price fixing structure completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan Degann wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

I don't deny that my comment included some hyperbole. My only point is that if there's a result that you want to achieve, it seems foolish to automatically rule out having government actions influence it. I don't have total faith in governments, but I certainly don't have total faith in market mechanisms either. It seems wise to give yourself multiple tools for shaping society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh hooray, nothing like political discussion to ruin a nice thread. Anyhow, from what I have heard, FRED is moving towards a new model to add distributors into the mix as opposed to FRED serving as its own distributor. This has caused some of their sales reps to resign, as their jobs became that much more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Regarding market mechanisms: We've probably never seen one that hasn't been meddled with beyond recognition in our lifetime. This is the problem. You don't tell people who wish to voluntarily do business with each other what they can or cannot do -- unless you advocate tyranny (or just want cheaper games because you elected some official to force those providing games to do so).

Yes, in our wonderful world, where every party to a transaction has full access to all relevant information and equal bargaining power, the unfettered market works perfectly. Also, everyone has a pet rainbow unicorn.

Quote:
We have a great deal of tyranny today... and it's a foothold for ever greater control. It's enough to make the mob blush.

As Tim correctly pointed out indirectly, all tyranny begins small. Tyranny claims freedom (even in the game market) and it NEVER WILLINGLY gives it back. When it does, people have to fight like hell to reclaim it.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote:
The only chip on my shoulder is that I love freedom. That freedom is stolen from me in small (and accelerating) ways on a daily basis these days, and I like it not one bit.

Have fun storming the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:

Regarding marriage: Why did you have to seek permission from your government to get married? Wasn't your love for your spouse (of whatever gender) enough for you? Having to ask permission isn't freedom.

Ah, good point. All those silly homosexuals who want the same legal protections of their marriages as heterosexual couples get shouldn't bother seeking equality, since if the government gives them "permission" to marry they're just taking away their freedoms anyway. So what if they can't have shared health benefits, power of attorney to make medical decisions, visitation rights in the hospital, protections in case of divorce, joint tax returns, automatic inheritance, or joint parenting rights. They have love! And freedom! I'm glad someone is courageous enough to fight for their freedom to be persecuted, even if they can't be made to see sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
aaxiom wrote:

Regarding marriage: Why did you have to seek permission from your government to get married? Wasn't your love for your spouse (of whatever gender) enough for you? Having to ask permission isn't freedom.

Ah, good point. All those silly homosexuals who want the same legal protections of their marriages as heterosexual couples get shouldn't bother seeking equality, since if the government gives them "permission" to marry they're just taking away their freedoms anyway. So what if they can't have shared health benefits, power of attorney to make medical decisions, visitation rights in the hospital, protections in case of divorce, joint tax returns, automatic inheritance, or joint parenting rights. They have love! And freedom! I'm glad someone is courageous enough to fight for their freedom to be persecuted, even if they can't be made to see sense.

Take this juvenile discussion elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
A marriage contract between two people (any two)

Only two?
That's very limiting, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I don't have time to delete mine, but I'm at work and busy.

One thing we can definitely agree on, reasons for the policy change aside--this is a good game, and hopefully now more people get to play.

Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're well off the beaten path at this point.

For those who want to engage in further political discussion, please join us in the RSP forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/152/region/1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.