Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
The start of the rules say (something like) "several thousand years ago nomadic tribes wandered Mesopotamia" blah blah something about Marduk. Except... Mesopotamia was where agriculture was invented, 10,000 years ago. And if these tribes are so nomadic, why do they build permanent huts and holy places and a great big ziggurat? Permanent structures like that arise when a society is producing a surplus of food to feed to the labourers (e.g. by farming) and hence cannot be nomadic.

Otherwise, this is a fine game :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Except... Mesopotamia was where agriculture was invented, 10,000 years ago. And if these tribes are so nomadic, why do they build permanent huts and holy places and a great big ziggurat?

Well, I haven't played the game or read the rules, but I vaguely recall a theory that the first agriculturalists stayed nomadic and simply stored goods somewhere, and only after their technique developed to the point of year-round viability did they drop the whole wandering part and actually develop those stores into settlements. I don't remember any of the details (like, how do you protect those storehouses when you're gone?) but certainly the earliest settlements they've dug up feature slightly larger houses consistent in layout to the Mesopotamian temples developed later, although it's pretty hard to prove that an overgrown house served as a temple when all you got to go on is a basic floor plan.

As far as Marduk being the object of the first offerings, that does seem pretty weird. On the other hand, who would have heard of any of those other guys?

Anyway, if you think it would match the idea of nomads better, maybe we can have them rename the game to "Uzbekistan"... can't wait to see how that sells!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bet they stopped wandering around once they realized they wouldn't have a need to carry those giant, interlocking, hex-shaped tiles around with them to use when the explored new areas. And don't even get me started on describing the relief of not having to carry lumber and rocks on their heads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're kidding-- a historically inaccurate theme in a game? Who would have thought it possible?

(This game would be more appealing to me if the sacrifice pieces were meeples.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sight Reader
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mummykitty wrote:
(This game would be more appealing to me if the sacrifice pieces were meeples.)

Well, I don't think human sacrifice was much that much of a factor back then, but if you were really feeling exotic I guess you could staff the temples with those infamous religious prostitutes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.