Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya,

had a thought crossing my mind (and am not sure if it crossed here already or what...):

How do translations (custom translations) of original rules stand out in light of copyright-ism?
Are they somehow copyrighted as well or can the translator put them out as his own creation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Still copyright, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides, they can be copyright infringiments. I am personally happy to see translations of rulebooks for my games going around. But when a publisher buys the rights of a game for a specific language, he may prefer that there are no files around, either official or custom, that could allow parallel import infringing the exclusive. Of course files done for personal use are ok.
Just giving their point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derivations of a work, including translation into another language, are classic copyright territory.

Describing the rules without sourcing the original at all would not be a copyright problem, in any language.

But IANAL.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.