Pussy Katz
msg tools
Let's say I have a 2M and a 3M world, and one other card in my hand. I have Space Mercs and Improved Logistics in my tableau, and I chose settle. Can I settle both worlds by doing the following?

1. Discard other card for +1 military power (=2)
2. Settle 2M world
3. Draw settle bonus
4. Discard settle bonus card for another +1 military power (=3)
5. Settle 3M world

What if I have a 1M and 2M world instead and no other card in my hand? Can I still settle both worlds as above except skipping step 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both scenarios are legal plays. The Gathering Storm rulebook gives us the answer:

Discard for Temporary Military
The player may discard up to 2 cards from his hand to gain +1 Military apiece until the end of this Settle phase.

The Settle phase is not over until you have Settled your second world.

Settle a Second World
The second world is placed as part of executing Settle powers (after fully resolving settling the first world).

Note that the Settle bonus is part of resolving the first settle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the above reply is incorrect. You can never interrupt a power, so you have to discard both cards at the same time. Your first example is not a legal play because the Space Mercenaries power is interrupted. The second example is a legal play.

Edit: I knew I'd seen this talked about before. Here's Tom Lehmann saying the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, from the Rebel vs Imperium rules. I think the only time that an ability is interruptible is during takeover.

http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_301_gameRule...
Quote:

If he had earlier partially used a temporary Military power (such as
discarding just one card to boost his Military with Space Mercenaries), he
may now use the rest of that power (by discarding a second card). (This
is an exception to the general rule that a power cannot be interrupted.)
Further boosting Military on defense can affect later takeover attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Both scenarios are legal plays. The Gathering Storm rulebook gives us the answer:

Discard for Temporary Military
The player may discard up to 2 cards from his hand to gain +1 Military apiece until the end of this Settle phase.

The Settle phase is not over until you have Settled your second world.

Settle a Second World
The second world is placed as part of executing Settle powers (after fully resolving settling the first world).

Note that the Settle bonus is part of resolving the first settle.
VS
Kester wrote:
I think the above reply is incorrect. You can never interrupt a power, so you have to discard both cards at the same time. Your first example is not a legal play because the Space Mercenaries power is interrupted. The second example is a legal play.

page 4 in the base game rulebook under Develop section...
Quote:
Powers are resolved sequentially (even though their effects can be
cumulative). A player cannot “interrupt” one power with another.

Doesn't say anything about Settle, nor does it cover this in exp #1 where Space Merc. appears, but I'm inclined to go with the latter (Kester) on this, even though my initial vote was for the former.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When does one get the card draw bonus from settling a world (either standard Settle Bonus or Terraforming one)?

If it is at the end of the Settle phase, I can't see how one method differs from the other. If it is as soon as a world is settled, then it could make a difference, because (if Kester is wrong) you could discard your last card to boost military enough to settle World A, draw a card from settling it, and then discard that card to boost military one more and settle World B with Improved logistics.

That is an unlikely scenario, but a fairly likely scenario is that you'd rather not discard from your existing cards and hope to get something suitable on the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
When does one get the card draw bonus from settling a world (either standard Settle Bonus or Terraforming one)?

You get the settle bonus(es) immediately after the first settle. You can settle a world that you received as a settle bonus.

The scenarios differ because you can only use a cards power once per phase (with the noted exception of takeover). If you boosted your military by only one with Space Mercenaries, then you cannot boost it again with space mercenaries (but you could still boost your military, if say, you had an unused Mercenary Fleet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

If it is at the end of the Settle phase, I can't see how one method differs from the other. If it is as soon as a world is settled, then it could make a difference, because (if Kester is wrong) you could discard your last card to boost military enough to settle World A, draw a card from settling it, and then discard that card to boost military one more and settle World B with Improved logistics.

That is an unlikely scenario, but a fairly likely scenario is that you'd rather not discard from your existing cards and hope to get something suitable on the draw.
With IL, you get the Settle bonus after settling the first world ONLY. For Terraforming Guild and Terraforming Robots, you get 1 to 2 cards for settling the first world and then another 2 cards for the 2nd world.

Since you invoke Space Merc. discard a card to get +1 temp military, then move on to get your card from the Settle bonus, it seems like an interrupt to me. Hope someone can prove this wrong beyond doubt, b/c it just feels "wrong".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. This is indeed an example of interrupting a card's power. You have to discard all the cards for Space Mercenaries at the same time. Strangely, I've played this game a lot, and this has never come up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Correct, you may not further boost Space Mercs after performing some other action or invoking some other power (other than the exception detailed in RvI's takeover rules).

Note that the rule prohibiting this occurs in the rules section "Card Powers", not "Develop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.