Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Calzolari
Italy
S.Lazzaro di Savena
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Millennium from International Team, and i tried to upload the english rules, scanned from the original rulebook.

They was (pretty obviously) rejected as it "contains scans of copyrighted material"....

My troubles comes when i see PDFs of the rulebooks of other I.T. games but translated in spanish.

Have i to copy the the rules in a new document instead of scan it to get them accepted and not see that game fades in times?

(Well, if someone can point me to where to ask for permission to publish the rules of Millennium, it will be even better, but the point of this question is to understand why some rules get accepted and some not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't quote me on this, but I should imagine translated rules are allowed becausde it opens the possibility of playing the game up to a larger audience (which most publishers/designers wouldn't have a problem with). Posting rules up in a language in which the game is already published opens up the possibility for people to play the game without buying it, which I should imagine would have the opposite reaction from publishers/designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that rules are not under copyright, but the actual words are. So if you rewrite the rules using your own words (such as a translation) you are ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that rules are not under copyright, but the actual words are. So if you rewrite the rules using your own words (such as a translation) you are ok.

IANAL either, but as I understand, the rules would have to be patented for there to be a problem explaining the rules. However, the particular expression of the rules in the rulebook is under copyright. As such, a derived work, like a translation, is under the original copyright and the translator's copyright--you technically need the permission of both to publish the translation. In practice, translations seem to be ignored.

You could reword the rules without changing the language as long as your expression of the rules has no connection to the original expression of the rules.

For example, you could write down the rules of chess and distribute them under your own copyright, but if you copy someone else's rules of chess, you're in violation of their copyright. Copyright is protecting the author's writing, not the designer's rules. (The designer needs a patent.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.