Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Quarter Finals saw the Elite Eight of Fantasy GeekBall battling it out to get into the Semi-finals and the prize positions.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43847

The Pyongyang Floppy Missiles 4-3 The TOP 10

It was always going to be a close match as both teams had conceded a similarly (small) number of boards in previous games. Top 10 did slightly worse in the group stage, but had already seen off one group winner in the play-offs so didn't fear another one.
Pyongyang was originally seeded #1 and was so far undeafeated.

In the early stages they were locked in stalemate, but then TOP 10 began to run away with the match, at one stage winning 6-1. But then Pyongyang began to pull the boards back, getting it to 3-4.
A fightback by TOP 10 took it to 4-2, and they held this lead for most of the match, but at the death Pyongyang stole it back to win.
It was the narrowest of victories, with Britannia beating Age of Empires III by only 4 votes.

Sheepbeaters 3-4 The Clemson Vagrants

The Vagrants had scraped through the group stage as the weakest qualifier but then saw off the (until then unbeaten) Bullseyes. They may be coming good just at the right time....

Clemson led from the start of the match, first 4-2 and then going on to stretch that to a astonishing 6-1 lead.
Sheepbeaters then began a gradual and sustained comeback. Board by board they pegged back the Clemson lead. In the final stages of the match Clemson held a very narrow 4-3 lead but they managed to carry this through to the final whistle.
In the end The Vagrants had solid control of their four winning boards, with 16 votes being the smallest lead.

Ugly Americans 5-2 Fantasy Flight Flyers

FFF were up against it here as the Ugly American's were the top performer to date in GeekBall, this despite their initial seeding of 19. They had only conceded an incredible 2 boards out of a possible 42!

FFF defied the pundits to take an early 4-3 lead. They held this for about a third of the match before the Ugly machine clunked into gear. Then there was only going to be one result. The American's quickly took 2 more boards to give them a dominant 5-2 stranglehold on the match which they managed to retain for the rest of the game.
This probably understates FFF's achievement. The Uglies ended up winning two of their boards by only 3 votes and 6 votes. It could easily have gone the other way. Congratulations to FFF for pushing the Uglies further than any other team!

Killer Whale Tank 3-4 The Pawn Stars

Pawn Stars had only just made it through into the Elite Eight while the vicious Killer Whale Tank had again crushed their opposition mercilessly. KWT have conceded the 2nd least boards in the competition to date with 7.

The crowd were happily sipping Cokes and eating burgers as the game began in predictable fashion. The merciless miltary marine behemoth that is KWT took an early lead 4-3 which they quickly stretched to 5-2.
A third of the way into the match and KWT had a strangle-hold 5-2 lead with 3 boards solidly theirs.
Suddenly the atmosphere changed. Out of nowhere Pawn Stars retook a board and KWT led only 4-3. The Pawn Stars manager rallied his troops, pointing out that Memoir '44 was only a few votes behind.
Then it happened. Memoir took Formula De and Cokes and burgers went flying as the crowd went wild! Could Pawn Stars really pull off this win?
They could. Pawn Stars took the victory 4-3 despite a KWT lock on 3 boards. In the end Pawn Stars had an 11 point lead on their weakest board. Crusader Rex still lost though.

Benchwarmer Big Brother
This is the competition for games that didn't make the cut for their teams. 86 games entered this competition but these had been reduced to the Elite 8 with the other 78 games having been subjected to some horrendous fates. These games will now playoff to determine the single surviving BBB game. Their can be only One.
The losing games were shot into space and left to burn up on re-entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick note Tony, you are pointing to the wrong bracket image for the first one.

Cheers!
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's rude to point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. The Big Brother competition is getting serious now.

Also, I believe that two semi-finalists are from the same league and coule meet (again) in the championship if all goes well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have anything to say - I just wanted to show off my shiny new micro-badge. Thanks IndigoPotter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Congrats to the Pawn Stars.

I believe I made an error in playing Ingenious - Travel Edition in my 7th slot rather than Saboteur. And Murray has done a nice job supporting his team, particularly this round (I was out of town Wednesday thru Sunday, so I missed most of the round). [sour grapes] Ultimately tho, it was facing a randomized lineup that doomed Killer Whale Tank. [/sour grapes]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
and crikey!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks JonnyS. I was surprised to see Saboteur benched back when this all started, I think it's a beaut little game. I'm not sure it would have beaten 'Tales' though, which has been one of my best performers, no doubt cashing in on the recent re-release.

I thought i had no chance to topple the tank but intended to go down swinging. It was my understanding that KWT was the best performing team and favourite for the championship and if i was able to pull an upset I'd have a fair shot at the title. As I started to draw close to the Tank and looked ahead to the next round, I was absolutely stoked to discover that KWT was merely the second best performer and my prize for beating him would be to face the actual best performer in the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To all those that never had a chance to get ASS-wiped, or to kick some ASS yourselves, congrats on making it into the semi-finals. I'll be on Reserve Duty starting Thursday, so hopefully I will get the chance to drop in and vote some while I am away. Just not sure at this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.