5 Posts

Space Junkyard» Forums » General

Subject: Game balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
den par
Russia
flag msg tools
We have played the game several times and have found one outbalancing moment.
A tile of 2 points, producing one plasma and storing two plasmas.
If this tile is obtained early in the game (it can be picked up in a first turn because it connects for merely 1 plasma) a player gains huge advantage. He now has a storage for 4 plasmas and produces 2 every turn.
Plasma is a prime resource. It allows additional turn and can be converted into other resources.
A player who takes this tile at first turn is bound to win.
I'd suggest to increase cost of connecting this tile to at least 3 resources for each exit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just wondering if any one else ran into this issue, or think there is a balance issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tile being referred to also have 4 openings on it, which can be a disadvantage when trying to close the tile off. In other words its inherent scoring value when you attach it to your starting ship is 2 points minus one point for not being totally sealed, minus 3 points for each opening. Net of -2 points to start the game off unless you seal it. There are other tiles that are like that. They may have production and storage and even some victory points but they can be tough to seal up too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
can i ask what is the reason behind having the unconnected tile to -1 point and on top of that each unconnect link to be another -1? I read that some players do away with it and simply -1 for each unconnected link, but i would like to know the original idea behind it so as to see if i would like to use it in my group. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cpf86 wrote:
can i ask what is the reason behind having the unconnected tile to -1 point and on top of that each unconnect link to be another -1? I read that some players do away with it and simply -1 for each unconnected link, but i would like to know the original idea behind it so as to see if i would like to use it in my group. thanks!

You'll have to ask Gilad about that for sure, but I believe the idea was to force you to really think about taking such a tile, particularly late in the game. It makes it really difficult to close up and can really hurt you.

Without the -1 starting value the game can become too easy to just keep adding 2-point tiles with only one opening all day long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.