Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to build a good, well-rounded collection of non-"Ameritrash" games. So far I have Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne (with some expansions), Ticket to Ride, Hive, 1960: The Making of the President, several party games, and many of the old American standards.

I play games with varying numbers of friends, but for the most part it's just me and my wife. She likes all the "Euro"-style games I've bought recently. We haven't played 1960 yet, but that should be a shoo-in, as my wife and I can both be political junkies at times and the fact that you learn a lot about that particular presidential race is a plus. I'm doubtful that she would like war games, but I'm still strongly considering Memoir '44, as it reminds me of my younger days of playing Axis & Allies, but with the added bonus that the games don't last 5 hours. Don't get me wrong, I love an epic as much as the next guy, but I highly doubt it would fly with most of the people I game with.

Stone Age has been at the top of my list for several weeks now. It seems like the perfect weight for my wife and friends and I need a worker placement game to help round things out.

I'm really embracing the whole "Gateway Games" strategy. It helps that I'm enjoying myself along the way. I can see a purchase of Agricola in the next 3-6 months and I expect my wife to really like it. I would consider that a great success.

So...based on all that information, what games/game types should I be looking into?

Thanks,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age seems like a good next step for you. If you're looking for something a little different, you could look at auction/bidding games. If it'll mostly be you and your wife, look at Before the Wind or Phoenicia. The Princes of Florence is great, but needs more than two. Agricola has been one of the most worthwhile game purchases we've made. Sounds liks a good plan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
I would recommend taking a look at the following games for your consideration:
Indonesia
Genji
VOC! Founding the Dutch East Indies Company
Wasabi!
Pandemic
Timber Tom

I hope some of these prove interesting and wish you the best of luck!

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Indigo! I've seen many people mention auction/bidding style games. I'm not sure I've ever played any. That should be remedied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Pandemic and liked it a lot. I have a friend who has it, but will probably pick it up sooner or later. The rest of those are unknown to me. I'll definitely look into them. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities. Good two-player game, good value for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean the boardgame or card game? I've always been a little skeptical of card-based games. My wife and I both grew up playing a lot of different card games with a regular deck of playing cards. I'm always worried that after playing a few hands of a card-based game, I'll find out that I could have just used a deck of playing cards. I know that's not true for most card-based games, but the fear persists.

How does Lost Cities stand up to my paranoia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Gateplay's game bundles for some good choices:

http://www.gateplay.com/gateway-board-game-bundles.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, buy what you like. I gave up on the whole 'well rounded' notion a long time ago. And if at all possible play it before you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle Speed belongs in every collection. You'll be suprised how often you pull it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good collections are not planned...they grow organically and exponentially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
Do you mean the boardgame or card game? I've always been a little skeptical of card-based games. My wife and I both grew up playing a lot of different card games with a regular deck of playing cards. I'm always worried that after playing a few hands of a card-based game, I'll find out that I could have just used a deck of playing cards. I know that's not true for most card-based games, but the fear persists.

Genji is a card game, but a very beautiful and unique experience in my humble opinion. Just wanted to let you know that given your background with card based games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis can be quite fun and can accommodate up to 4 players. I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Nate_001 wrote:

It's pretty much the justification for it - while it is very interesting, it indeed can be played with any standard deck of cards - get a copy of the rules, remove Jokers, use face cards as Wagers/Investments/Whatever They Call Them In-Game, and you're ready to go...for a card game that can't be played with a standard deck and is particularly easy and appealing to inexperienced gamers, try Dominion or the upcoming Crunch: The Game for Utter Bankers, due to hit the US next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the recommendations! I certainly want to avoid making a collection of museum pieces.

One thing that attracts me to card games is their portability. We travel a fair amount and I like to bring games with me when possible. I need to look at Dominion a little closer, but it seems a little too big to play in transit. I'll look at Genji as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy all the games that I own, and you'll be set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations! I certainly want to avoid making a collection of museum pieces.

And what's wrong with doing that!

Some of us collect games far more than we play them. At least I have been able to play a few recently, but the compulsion seems to keep coming back.

BRad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Tompkins
Canada
Pointe-Claire
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group started with the excellent card game Citadels, so I would highly recommend it. Relatively quick & certainly great fun. Pandemic is a great new cooperative game that our group enjoys. But by far the best, hands-down, is Arkham Horror. It very popular, it is my wife's favourite game. Yes, it is epic and takes hours, but you're so involved, time just flies by.
I hope your bank account can hold out until you have rounded out your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
tantalon wrote:
Our group started with the excellent card game Citadels, so I would highly recommend it.

Yes! Citadels is an excellent game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation with my girlfriend and family/friends. She loves Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride: Märklin, likes Catan. Other games we love to play are Jambo and Catan Card Game, though the latter can run a bit long (there are suggested variants in its forums to shorten it). I think I sprung Agricola on her a bit too quick, she's a bit overwhelmed.

I've put a lot of time in researching various games, trying to find gateway games to indoctrina... err.. introduce her to the hobby, maybe you can benefit from that. My last round of purchases (will Friday never come????) includes Stone Age and Caylus Magna Carta. In the near future, I plan to pick up Thurn and Taxis (think I'll find it a bit more satisfying than TtR), Alhambra (probably the Big Box), and (with fingers crossed) Amyitis. OK, guess you can look at my wishlist if you like rather than me reproducing it here. I don't think CMC and Amyitis can be considered "gateway" games, but trying to splash some gamer-ier stuff in there. She's comfortable with card-driven games, so that helps CMC. I think she'll appreciate the theme in Amyitis.

I also traded for Puerto Rico, but I don't even think I wanna let her SEE that one yet! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been pondering Alhambra and Thurn and Taxis myself. They may jump a bit higher on my wish list. And let me know how Stone Age goes over.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tantalon wrote:
Pandemic is a great new cooperative game that our group enjoys. But by far the best, hands-down, is Arkham Horror. It very popular, it is my wife's favourite game. Yes, it is epic and takes hours, but you're so involved, time just flies by.

I've actually been looking at AH lately. It would be a hard sell at this point. If I were to get by with an epic co-op now it would be Battlestar Galactica, since we've seen the whole series and my wife and friends are intrigued by the whole "who's a cylon?" twist. Arkham Horror would take some more work as none of my friends nor I have read any Lovecraft. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Brum
United States
Ewa Beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nate - Like you, most of the games I play are with just me and my wife. We are both kind of new to board gaming. So far, my wife and I really enjoy playing...

Ticket To Ride
Kingsburg
Carcassone: The Discovery
Lost Cities

I've got many more games on the shelf waiting to try. I'll keep you posted

Enjoy,
Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A year and many games ago, I was in the same boat. I laid out my thought process and got lots of helpful replies in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/309023

I don't regret any of the games I bought initially, although I did buy a bunch of games since
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Allison! I have a lot of stuff to look into now. The hardest part at this point is trying not to gorge myself on games that I have only a passing familiarity with. The urge to research and buy games is almost stronger than the urge to actually play them. I think I'm dangerously close to becoming a collector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.