Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my first Standard of Steam recently. A few questions came up:

1. What purpose does the numbers on the action tiles serve, is it just an indicator of the relative value of the action compared to the other actions?

2. What (and when) do you use the pass option on the Urbanization and Production tiles for? The rules state that when picking thes two tiles, you have to take the action. But why would you choose those actions and not upgrade a town/place new goods in a city? Also, if you wanted to 'pass' - i.e. do nothing specific - in your turn, a lot of the other tiles would serve that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simombo wrote:
1. What purpose does the numbers on the action tiles serve, is it just an indicator of the relative value of the action compared to the other actions?

These indicate the player order for the next round, but are not used in Standard Steam since you bid for order (and actions) at the beginning of every turn.

simombo wrote:
2. What (and when) do you use the pass option on the Urbanization and Production tiles for? The rules state that when picking thes two tiles, you have to take the action. But why would you choose those actions and not upgrade a town/place new goods in a city? Also, if you wanted to 'pass' - i.e. do nothing specific - in your turn, a lot of the other tiles would serve that purpose.

In Standard Steam you may pick these actions and then decide during your turn in the building phase to not perform the action (if f.e some one else build a link you needed). In Basic Steam you must decide whether you will perform the action or not at the moment you pick the action. I've not yet seen anybody not perform the action, but maybe it's a good move to block some one else from taking it and delivering goods over his 6-link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. In the standard game, you flip the tiles over to the plain side.

2. It would be extremely rare that you passed on urbanizing or producing. Occasionally, one would take these actions just to prevent someone else from doing them. In that case, you may want to pass. Also, since you perform the actions during your build step, the board situation may change enough by the time it is your turn so as to deter you from placing the city or cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.