Subject: Attacking with no army but Allies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
e Söderberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mb
1. lets say I have a fleet outside africa(where my ally has land forces) wanting to attack land forces of my enemy. I try to attack with one army but he doesn't make it from europe.
Can my ally then attack alone in my name as a result?

2. Can I make a pure naval attack on another fleet? (not attacking a control marker)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. no - moving and attacking are two separate actions. You cannot declare a land battle in which you have no land forces even if allies are present.

2. yes - you can declare a naval battle only. You just skip the land portion of the battle sequence. This is the only way to remove a Pirates! tile played against you IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
caltha wrote:
1. lets say I have a fleet outside africa(where my ally has land forces) wanting to attack land forces of my enemy. I try to attack with one army but he doesn't make it from europe.
Can my ally then attack alone in my name as a result?

2. Can I make a pure naval attack on another fleet? (not attacking a control marker)

You can make a pure naval attack, but there is no cost to the opponent for just refusing to fight. The usual cost to this is that you get a +1 modifier in the ensuing land battle, but if there is no land battle, there is no cost here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e Söderberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mb
why I was asking the first question is because of these rules:

from rules
"After you have declared and paid for your attack (but before rolling any dice), you and then the
defender each have the opportunity to make a formal “call for allies” to the other members of your
alliances. No player can ever ally with a neutral country whether attacking or defending. Your attack is
aborted at this point if neither you nor your allies can bring to battle at least one navy or army unit."

soo, how can you declare an attack if you cannot "bring to battle" any units??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd paragraph of the online rules under the attack action:

To make an attack on land the attacker must have at least one army counter of his colour. It would still be possible for a player to make an attack without an army if he had a navy. However, only naval combat would occur, no land combat. The only point in carrying out such an attack would be to eliminate a defending naval unit.

I don't have the original rules handy to check those for the wording. But in your quote, there isn't any instance I can think of that you wouldn't be able to bring to battle a unit if you had declared an attack. That particular phrase is somewhat odd, maybe a remnant of an earlier version that was playtested, but didn't make the cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
e Söderberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mb
You mention online rules, are there any other source than the rewritten version here at BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None that I'm aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.