Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reshuffling crises ("33") and scouting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janusz Księżopolski
Poland
flag msg tools
We had such a situation last time:

I (Starbuck) had two actions because of flying viper and my first action was succesfully scouting for crises. I left it on top, then (as a second action) XO-ed Admiral Helo. Admiral was in favor of jumping immediately at -1 POP, after a brief discussion we agreed and he jumped. I completely forgot about "33" hanging above us, and this card made whole deck reshuffled.

We decided to reshuffle all deck but the top card, which was left on top after reshuffling. But of course the other ruling (reshuffle all) or even another one (reshuffle then look at the top as per scouting rules) was possible.

What would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally have argued that the "33" special rule is designed to cause problems for the players, and that in that circumstance the top card should be reshuffled with the rest, and your scouting goes for naught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Thirty-Three is in play, and you scout the crisis deck, then jump without fulfilling the conditions in Relentless Pursuit, then the scouting is wasted. Thirty-three shuffles the entire crisis deck, which consists of every crisis card that hasn't been discarded (including Thirty-Three itself), and there are currently only three ways to discard crisis cards: actually play them, use Starbuck's Secret Destiny on one, or a revealed Cylon chooses not to play it on Caprica. Scouting, whether you leave it on top or bottom, then jumping with Thirty-Three in play, does nothing, because the deck is reshuffled. This is some of the real danger of Thirty-Three: old crises you may have scouted to the bottom can resurface.

If you plan to jump, I suggest scouting the destination deck instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
33 causes the deck to get reshuffled. With 33 in play, it would be more prudent to scout when you're not about to jump just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Agree with the rest.

The only way a Scout would be a good idea with 33 in play is if you Scouted first and allowed the ship to auto-jump, and then 33 was reshuffled after the results of your Scout were completed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Starbuck could XO-Helo to jump first, then after the jump is resolved (and 33 shuffled back into the crisis deck), she could then use her second action to scout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.