Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
My father-in-law came into town for five days last week. Now, he is certainly a NON-GAMER. That is, he'll play a game with you, but it better not be too strenuous and he certainly won't be the one to suggest it.

In other words, he is like 99.9% of the adult population.

Well, we played four games with him over four nights. In order, they were:
- Thursday night: Streetcar (really Linie 1)
- Friday night: In10sity
- Saturday night: Rack-O
- Sunday night: Code 777

After last night's game session, he gave us a relative ranking of how much he enjoyed each game.

----------------------------------

Edit: It appears that some people don't know these games, so I'll give a brief synopsis, so that you can make a reasonable vote:
Code 777 is a logic and deduction game where players see each other's 3-number code (cards on a rack facing out) but not their own. Through a series of questions (from a deck of cards), players answer about what they see (do you see more 3's than blue 7's?) and others try to deduce what their unseen cards are.

In10sity is a trivia game where all questions have answers which are numbers from 1 to 10. Players simultaneously guess at the answers (they have a voting wheel) and direct hits move forward a good bit; missing by just 1 moves forward a little; and missing completely moves you backwards. Players can pass and just move forward 1.

Linie 1 is a tile laying, route-building game where you attempt to play track to a common board so that you connect your two secret terminals to one another while also passing three secret passenger pickups. Problem is: others have different goals and the route gets very twisted.

Rack-O is an old family game where you have 10 random cards (numbers from 1 to about 50) in a rack in front of you. Each turn, you take either the face up or a blind card from the draw piles and replace one of your cards in your rack. Your goal is to work your rack of 10 cards into ascending order from front to back. 10 Days is the same concept.

---------------------------

Before I reveal his preferences (which I will do in a few hours as a spoiler), I'd like you all to predict what a non-gamer (defined as I gave it above) might prefer and what you would prefer. No big philosophical poll here, just wondering what y'all will say.

Poll
1. How would you expect a NON-GAMER to rate the following four games (from Favorite to Least Favorite)?
  Favorite Second Third Least Favorite
Code 777
In10sity
Linie 1 (Streetcar)
Rack-O
2. How would YOU rate these four games (from Favorite to Least Favorite)?
  Favorite Second Third Least Favorite
Code 777
In10sity
Linie 1 (Streetcar)
Rack-O
      18 answers
Poll created by Randy Cox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if I'm the only one who's never heard even of a single one of these games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapppi wrote:
I wonder if I'm the only one who's never heard even of a single one of these games...

I've heard of code 777, and played Rack-O.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapppi wrote:

I can understand In10sity, as only 31 people own it and only 36 have rated it and it came out only in 2005.

And Code 777, while being over 20 years old, has been tough to get (until now, with ArtsCow) and is something of a holy grail. "Only" 251 own it and 286 have rated it.

But the other two are pretty common. Over 1000 people own Linie 1 / Streetcar and the same is true for the 53-year-old Rack-O game.

Just goes to show how diverse this hobby is.

Anyway, that's why I included the links in the questions, so that people could see what each game was about. I know it's an extra step. I should have listed a brief synopsis of what each game was (truly, that was my bad).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapppi wrote:

No sir, you are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Beaudway
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Lapppi wrote:

No sir, you are not.

Thirded. It's all Greek...err Geek to me... :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We owned Rack-O when I was younger, and I've played it. But the others remain a mystery to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapppi wrote:

I've never heard of them either. Can't really vote based on the link alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at this time, y'all have predicted that a non-gamer would prefer the games in this order:

Rack-O
In10sity
Code 777
Linie 1

My father-in-law's actual ranking:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In10sity far and away, followed by Rack-O. Dead last was Linie 1 and Code 777 was "better than Linie 1." So y'all did a pretty good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.