JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is the beginning of week two of shut down for me. It has been a pretty decent time to game. This weekend the family and I traveled to upstate NY to visit my mom and grandparents.
As gamers, of course we used up valuable packing space and threw a bunch of games in the back!

Most of the weekend has been introducing my mom to our gaming hobby, and teaching her new games.

Saturday we started out with Bohnanza, one of my wifes favorites, and it went over quite well. I ended up winning by just a couple of gold. Then my wife wanted to play "I don't care whatever", so I chose my newly acquired copy of Catan, which I have never played, but it has been on my want list since before I even got into gaming. About half way through our 10 bour drive up here, I got into the back of hte van and pulled Catan out so I could read through the rules while my wife was driving. Everyone really enjoyed it, and my mom ended up being the first to ten points! Then we ended the evening with Stone Age. I started off poorly, but ended up winning by just a hair.

Sunday was a bit busier, as we went over to my grandparents to visit, but we did get a chance to get Catan on the table again. We tried the variable setup this time, and with some luckly rolls, I ended up being the first to 10 points.

That was it for me, not too bad, but I think we are about to go teach my mom Thurn and Taxis, and then not sure after that! Luckily the rest of this week is all free, so should be some more great gaming!

*updated because I apperantly didn't know the proper month*

So,what did you play this weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What did you play this weekend? 06.06.09
ESPANA 1936...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hopper
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Too Many Games... So Little Time.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did some self-teaching play-throughs of Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas and Formula D. Realized I'd been making some fairly large mistakes on my first plays of Sator. Ooops. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with family:

Wits & Wagers
Traditional Card Games
Tales of the Arabian Nights

Played with friends:

Eurorails
Race for the Galaxy
Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
On Friday I got to play a game of one of my new purchased on Wednesday: Warriors of God. I was playing the English and Mike D was playing the French and he played a focused combat-heavy strategy against me. Unfortunately for him, my leaders were better at battle than his, and he did not focus enough attention on controlling areas, so I was able to pull it out in the end.

At a party that night I moderated (and played in) three total games of Do You Worship Cthulhu (a rethemed version of Werewolf.) The first game the Worshippers won (I moderated), in the second game the Worshippers won (I was killed during the first night), in the third game the Villagers won (I was able to ferret out one of the Worshippers, and Sara, another player, ferretted out her boyfriend as another.)

After that I was able to play a four player game of Automobile (which I had received in the mail earlier that evening) with some of the other party-goers. It was pretty fun, and we learned a lot in that first game.

On Saturday I was able to talk my girlfriend into playing a game of Warriors of God. I played the English again and she played the French. It went different than the previous game in that she was able to completely dominate me as the French. The fact that she got some of the key leaders helped, as did some stupidity on my part that resulted in her taking over England. Whoops. She won on points in round 7. Fortunately, she liked the game though she thought it was a bit long.

On Sunday I had Bryan over, and he, my girlfriend, and I played several games.

We started off with Scepter of Zavandor, where I played the Witch, Bryan got the Elf, and Minerva got the Mage. It was tight throughout, but I ended up pulling it off in the end with final scores at Jesse: 59, Minerva: 57, Bryan: 55. I was running a Sapphire strategy.

Then we played a game of Automobile. It was less interesting than the Friday game, but I wasn't sure if that was because of the newness wearing off, the player count, or the players. I ended up winning with 5670 to Minerva's 4840, and Bryan's 3680.

After that Minerva stated she was done for the night so we tried out Warriors of God. To make a long story short, I utterly trounced him and he conceeded on round 7. It could probably have lasted a few more turns, but I had such a big advantage over him (he only owned 3 territories at this point and only one of them, England, was a 3) that it was unlikely he was going to be able to last that much longer. He did not like the game at all, and is unlikely to play it again. I am digging it, but will probably only play it with my more wargaming-focused buddies.

All in all, a pretty good weekend. I am looking forward to trying Automobile with 5 on Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 games of Stone Age and a third of a game of Automobile, which proved to be too much for my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cornerstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Advanced Civilization, so not much time for anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Jacques
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnBandettini wrote:
Advanced Civilization, so not much time for anything else.

Lucky guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games of Arkham horror (2nd and third game ever) which we dominated.

Just love that game!

Played 2 games of Stone Age on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gijs Bouwman
Netherlands
Bussum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two rounds of Fluxx with some friends and a solo Runebound (Second Edition). Also a couple of games Magic: The Gathering

A very mild gamingweekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got to try Manoeuvre and love it... so much that I downloaded Vassal and the module, but can't figure it out, so someone will have to teach me.

Oh... and I played some Dominion on BSW.

Chevee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were out of town at a 10 year college get together. I took a couple of games with us, but with the increased number of toddlers running around, time to sit and play a game was minimal. I did introduce a friend to Tsuro Saturday morning, before the rest of the house woke up. She took a picture of the board, because it was so pretty, and asked where she could get it. She has a weekly game night of the Scrabble variety with her brothers and parents, so she seemed like a particularly good choice to introduce new games. I showed her Incan Gold, but we did not get a chance to play.

Other than that, LordDillon and I played a few hands of Euchre while waiting for our meals at casual restaurants.

We had hoped that Candamir was going to arrive before we left, but it should arrive this week, along with a trade and a playtest game, so we will have lots of new games to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New World: Carcassonne. This was our first play. I had read on the geek that the rules were poorly constructed. We had many questions that were not addressed in the rules (or were contradictory), but we're a congenial group and made interpretation as best we could.

Race for the Galaxy

Nuclear War. This game ended with a series of final retaliations and everyone lost, no survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Tails

Carcassonne: Expansion 7 – The Catapult (hey I've got to try it out once at least)

Harry Potter: Diagon Alley Board Game (with my young nephews)

Race for the Galaxy

Got to say Snow Tails is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a game of Arkham + Dunwich.

Spent some time wandering around a convention with Galaxy Trucker, and ALMOST got Cash and Guns out. Watched people play Dominion.

On the other hand, I did network like mad, and have sorted out a couple different households who are doing weekly gaming, that I hope to invade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay for having off of work on Friday to play games.

Friday we played Arkham Horror with the Innsmouth Expansion, a game of Doom with 2 marines, a game of Power Grid using Germany map with 4 people, and 3 games of Risk and Roll 2000 to close the night.

Saturday we played a game of Doom with 2 marines and a custom scenario (and closed out the night with the same scenario with 3 marines), 2 games of Ticket to Ride with the 1910 expansion, and a 6 player game of Power Grid using the USA map.

Sunday I kept to myself - but I think I'll be picking up Pandemic this week for a little variety in our gaming nights when our friend from a few hours away isn't able to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday was our usual gaming evening. With just 3 of us, and all fast players, we got through a number of games, despite starting later than usual:
Lost Valley (the player who went off on their own won, while the other two of us were so worried )
Princes of Machu Picchu (only our second play - must get this one out again soon! Then my husband might actually know the victory conditions, rather than winning without having a clue what they were!)
Phoenicia (showed that having double income isn't everything - the player with the lowest income won, while the one with the most lost)
Factory Fun (always fun!)
Zirkus Flohcati (first time with our copy)
TransAmerica
Take It Easy (twice)

Then on Saturday it was the monthly Cambridge Games Day. The highlight of the day was that I was able to play the new Dominion expansion, which I then ordered on the Sunday (it was on our "try before we buy" list, but I enjoyed it a lot).
Dominion: Intrigue (three games, all with just the expansion - not all in a row, but as a filler between other games)
Bohnanza (very close game - and unusual by being a 4 player "all-female" game, which isn't something that is usual at our games club!)
Robo Rally (the quickest game I've ever had - taking just over half an hour, as no-one except the winner noticed that to get from checkpoint 2 to checkpoint 3 you just had to move 6 straight forward through a transporter! And the winner was 9 years old, the rest of us were adults!!!)
Aber bitte mit Sahne (first play for us all, 5 player. I won by eating all my pie, while everyone else kept all except their last slices for bonuses.)
Manager (it all went horribly wrong for me - I do enjoy this game, even though I haven't a clue what is a good strategy and win or lose totally at random as far as I can tell!)

Sunday was a quiet game at home with the kids, but after they were (supposedly) in bed, we did get some games of Magic the Gathering in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four player family game of Rummikub on Friday.

On Sunday, my son and I played a rematch of our home-brewed "castle-siege" scenario of Heroscape. This time I defended the castle with a mix of Elven heros, an Elven squad, some vipers, and a griffon, while my son assaulted the castle with an army of Deathwalkers and Zettian guards. At this point, I am down to two heroes and he has two Zettians left. We will finish tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleTech and Adversity

I enjoyed BattleTech more zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Started out with a couple games of -- Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Won one and lost one as the Frodo side

Then played a new game I recently bought -- Garibaldi: The Escape
I was on the Austrian patrols side as part of a team of 3 players. Garibaldi ended up escaping at the end due to a clever double back maneuver.

Then finished up with a game of Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Detwiler
United States
Lehigh Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
all on Sunday the 5th :

4 games of Jambo with Jambo Expansion 2 players
1 game of Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age 2 players
1 game of Acquire 4 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South of You
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of games of Wits & Wagers. That was fun and most everyone enjoyed it.

The next night we played a few games of Dominion. That was a total hit. My wife already liked it, but we introduced it to three non-gamers who all enjoyed it (one liked it well enough that I really should have just given him my copy and bought myself another one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday:

Invited some friends over for our first game of Steam. None in attendance had played Age of Steam before. My wife got hurt in the beginning and had a hard time catching up. The game has potential to become my favorite of all time very quickly.

Saturday:

Went to a friend's place for gaming and their Independence Day tradition -- fried chicken. Played a game of Dominion and some Wii in the afternoon, then we spent the evening on Talisman (Revised 4th Edition).

Sunday:

Played an awesome game of Race for the Galaxy with my wife. At first I thought I was going to eat up all the VP chips and beat her handily, but she got both the military- and alien-related 6-cost developments out and absolutely crushed me. My wife confessed that she likes RftG more than Dominion, and I have to agree (although I like Dominion a deal more than she does).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
Race for the Galaxy solitare (finally learned it and love it!)

Wanted to play Carcassonne but didn't get the chance. Maybe sometime this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.