United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
***Debriefing Begins***
Commander Wyatt of the Wolfs Dragoons reporting, sir.

At 2030 Universal Standard hours we set out on a routine patrol for our employer in our depleted lance of my own Shadow Hawk, Harris’s Rifleman and Marco’s Jenner; as you recall, Mechwarrior Rhett was killed in last week’s engagement with the Iradani Lighthorse, and his replacement hasn’t arrived.

At approximately 2100 USTD Hours we had multiple contacts to our north and moved to investigate, only to run into a small Lighthorse patrol. Those bastards were going to pay for…ahem…yes sir, I’ll stay on track here. Loud and clear, sir. Initial reports gave the patrol at 3 Mechs also, a Panther class, Phoenix Hawk and an Archer class heavy. They spread out in a skirmish line, the Archer gaining some high ground to the North, on top of the Eagle Peaks, approximately 18,4 on the grid. The Panther pilot drove his Mech right up the center towards our position while the ‘Hawk attempted to flank us to our left.

I gave orders to PFC Marco to flank the Archer, to distract it from bringing those damnable heavy LRMs onto us, while Harris attempted to gain some higher ground to support my assault of the other two contacts.
The terrain? Yessir, standard features, a small lake in the center, high hills to the north east and lower gatherings to the north west and south east. Harris was on the south east cluster of hills to get a better view of the field. Marco ran his Jenner up north along the eastern ledge, keeping his ‘Mech out of the Archers line of sight. I was using a light woods to prepare an attack on the Phoenix Hawk and Panther ‘mechs. The Archer opened up on Marco, but his Jenners speed kept him out of harms way, the Panther lept into the lake, apparently to make it a harder target and to bring it’s big PPC into play. Good thing for us that Harris has a good eye and took off the panther’s arm with a volley from his heavy lasers and autocannons. Too bad, he’s not as good a pilot as gunner though. I tried to charge the Phoenix Hawk but mistimed my attack and missed, gaining control of my ‘mech I took a few peppering shots from the ‘hawks machine guns, apparently the enemy pilot was a bit rattled and missed with his big guns.

Approximately 2108, Marco had secured a flanking position of the Archer, keeping it busy with concentrated medium las fire and occasional volleys from his SRM pack. Harris climbed off the hill to support me, but his mech found a large rock (according to him) and his Rifleman fell face first into the dust. A bit of bad luck, the Phoenix Hawks pilot jumped over my own Shadow Hawk and fired point blank at my rear armor and managed to crack my engine casing twice. Damn thing began to heat up quick, so in order to conserve heat and keep in the battle I had to keep my movements slow and fire low and pray my heavier armor would hold up until Harris could pick himself up and take out SOMETHING. No, sir…I don’t think that Harris should be up for any disciplinary action, perhaps a run at an obstacle course, but that’s about it.

Marco, in a bid to help me out apparently, broke contact with the Archer to run at full speed to support me but was hit full force by the Archer, taking off his ‘mechs right arm. Afterwards, though, he managed to join up with me and together we forced the Phoenix Hawk and Panther back against the mountains of hills that made the west impassable. Missiles rained down on us from the Archer, but to little affect. Harris got back up and returned fire to the Archer, hitting it solidly many times, but it’s superior armor held up easily. My movements were very limited, I just pretty much stood in the way, taking pot shots with my autocannon and missile launcher. I kept trying to fall back to the lake to let my over heating Shadow Hawk cool of, but the enemy kept bouncing into the same lake every couple minutes to cool off before reemerging to attack.

Our big break occurred when Marco was able to run his Jenner over to cover me and managed to blow the right side of the Panther right off. During this exchange the Archer just couldn’t get a good bead on us so he started to concentrate on our Rifleman, hitting him quite a few times, but nothing severe. Our concentrated return fire forced the enemy pilot to back off down the hills.

At this point, the enemy Phoenix Hawk pilot retreated north in an attempt to avoid our massed fire. I managed to get my ‘Hawk into the lake and let it help cool off my ‘mech, I stayed put and provided fire support for Marco again as he ran off in pursuit of the Archer, only to find it and the Phoenix Hawk gathering for another push. After a brief exchange where the Archer exposed itself, we managed to drive it back further down hill with long ranged support from Harris and myself and some really nice scrapping from the Jenner. The enemy then broke contact and retreated north, we held the center and waited for reinforcements, and mechanics, to arrive.

No, sir. In our current situation we could NOT have pursued the enemy, I was effectively immobile. Harris’s Rifleman really couldn’t take much more of a beating and our Jenner was down to 50% weapon effectiveness. Since they left, sir, I put that down as a "win" for our side.

Final count:
Enemy Accounted for: 1 dead Panther, 1 Damaged Archer, 1 relatively unscathed Phoenix Hawk.
Our Losses: 1 heavily damaged Jenner, medium damaged Rifleman and 1 Shadow Hawk, armor in good shape but the engine took a beating.

***File Closed***
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, makes me want to play battletech again. I played it at school a lot but haven't had a chance since then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldfinch
Australia
flag msg tools
Love Battle Reports for Battletech ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.