Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was in a book store the other day at our local mall.

I was at the cash register, and this guy comes running down the hallway and stops at the magazine rack, and grabs the time magazine that has Michael Jackson on it.

He comes to the cash register next to me. He's panting, out of breath, and eager to pay. I look over and he's visibly shaking with excitement, he tells the girls at the cash that he's been to 20 stores, and couldn't find that Time anywhere. He was just so excited. He then said he had bought over $100 of magazines in the past 2 days on Michael Jackson. He told them he was going to "pass them on to his kids one day"

Ok.. I know Michael Jackson, besides the immense weirdness around his life, was a talented singer and dancer who sold millions of records, his death was a surprise, etc. etc.

However... this *IS* Michael Jackson we're talking about.. With all his weirdness (which I won't get into right now).

And this guy is nearly having a coranary because of a single magazine that he needs to add to his "collection".

A 15 year old girl doing this, I could maybe understand, but this guy was mid-late 30's at least.

Also, I don't know how old his kids are, but Elvis died when I was 2. If my parents suddenly plopped down $100 bucks worth of magazines on Elvis' life and death when I was, oh, I dunno, 16 or something. I would have looked at them and said "so?"

I know Elvis is dead, I know he died of drugs, and I know he did some great music. But I'm not going to read or care about his death 14 years after it happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
A 15 year old girl doing this, I could maybe understand, but this guy was mid-late 30's at least.

I think a 30's doing is much more normal than a 15 girl. First because the latter saw nothing about Michael. Not a live performance, and probably only the sicko things. The 30-something guy heard about him his whole youth, so much more likely to be a ravaging fan.

Buuut I agree with you on the pathetic scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! Did you hear Michael Jackson died? There's not been much media coverage, so I thought I should let you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I saw the same thing last week.

Except it was a game store.

And it wasn't a magazine with MJ, it was a silly little cardboard game.

And the 30 something year old man was me.

I'm just saying I have a big collection of space, fantasy, war, settling, exploring, and egyptian themed boardgames and I usually spend over $100 each order. I'm not about to throw stones from this glass house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing he was just embarrassed at his purchase and was trying to justify it to those within earshot. I will just about guarantee that his children don't (or until recently didn't) know squat about MJ and could not care less. For an even more poignant example, mention the name Mark David Chapman around today's kids and you will get more blank stares than you can imagine. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there much of a secondary market for magazines from historic dates? If so, then "Elvis Dies" issue Time Magazine might be of some value to one who is a collector. Hmmm lemme check e-bay and get back to ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, do you have any more issues of Time with Michael Jackson's face on the cover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I'm back.
Lots of listings for People, Time, Newsweek,etc. on Jackson listing for under $10 plus shipping. But theres a set of 3 1969 moon landing Life Magazines for $15. So I'm thinking that after the frenzy dies down, they're practically worthless.

Unless "Man lands on the Moon" is not as important as Michael Jackson... Nahhhhhhhhhhh... ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielfreak wrote:
So, do you have any more issues of Time with Michael Jackson's face on the cover?

Our Barnes and Nobles around here have many. I guess we just don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Hey I'm back.
Lots of listings for People, Time, Newsweek,etc. on Jackson listing for under $10 plus shipping. But theres a set of 3 1969 moon landing Life Magazines for $15. So I'm thinking that after the frenzy dies down, they're practically worthless.

Unless "Man lands on the Moon" is not as important as Michael Jackson... Nahhhhhhhhhhh... ???

Whatever I just dropped $400 for to complete my set of TV Guide collectible covers celebrating 20 years of Mama's Family.

That Vicki Lawrence was hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, if he was collecting the magazines, fine. I don't think that is the pathetic part. I meant the fact that when he spotted said magazine on the stand, he had to run full tilt down the hall way, and grab it, and rush to the cashier, visibly shaking.

Did he expect a group of frenzied Michael Jackson fans to suddenly descend and take all the available issues away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson fan (Off the Wall and Thriller). However, even as a fan, the downward, selfish spiral that he threw himself into and buried himself in have pretty much turned me off and disgusted me. And, let's not even start on his perversions, fantasies, and indulgences.

All the money he wasted and the drug addiction and the questionable sexual/infantile fantasy life............it is sad, pathetic and to me, overshadowing the great music, dancing, and top-rated performances.

It is a shame. I also kind of question the adoration of his fans all of a sudden. It is pretty pathetic.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

It is a shame. I also kind of question the adoration of his fans all of a sudden. It is pretty pathetic.

Not as pathetic as resorting to Thighmaster infomercials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I don't have to justify my MJ Time collection to anyone, ANYONE you hear me?!

I'm passing history, the essence of our age, to my children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is that you have to look at the man in the mirror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

Not as pathetic as resorting to Thighmaster infomercials.

I don't get the THighmaster reference?????

Anyway, what I meant to say was that it is now "cool" to be a die-hard MJ fan. And I've seen pics of teens and children crying over his photo, etc.

What I want to know is.........who financed that circus Memorial??????? The tickets were free........anyone know? Just curious.........(although the more I know about all this, the more disgusted I become yuk )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.