Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Another Post on Which Expansion to Buy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I bought AH 3 to 4 weeks ago, and my brother and I have been playing it a lot. We have played against every GOO once, plus Azathoth a second time. The first few games were marred by some rules problems, but we have everything down now. The last two games (2nd Azathoth and Cthulhu) we used the alternate 2 monsters to an open gate rule that is normally only used for 5+ investigators (we play with 4). There have been some extremely close calls, but we have triumphed each time.

For the record we are using random investigators (each player draws 3, picks 2) and a mostly random GOO. We wanted to see each of the GOOs, so we redrew on a repeat. All of our victories (except Hastur) have been won with 6 seals. Hastur was won with closing all gates, but we were doing the gate order wrong, and we allowed Find Gate while delayed at that time.

Now we are thinking about expanding. Having read through a number of the threads concerning expansion, I am leaning towards BGotW, DH or IH. Our main consideration is table space. We can use a small board expansions, but it requires putting a few leaves in the table. It does make it a bit annoying, but if they are worth it, then we will do it.

So which expansion would you all recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South of You
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy Innsmouth, but remember that with a little adjustment you can use the big-box expansions like the small-box expansions. Just take out the cards that are specific to the additional board and add the rest. That way you get some new encounters, new investigators, new GOO and some others but you don't necessarily HAVE to use the new boards (though you won't get the full benefit/experience of the expansion, but you will get some variety).

If on a budget, though, get the small-box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people use Dunwich horror without the board, so if that's keeping you from buying a big expansion, don't worry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
That is good to know that Dunwich is playable without always using the new board.

Here is what I am looking at when deciding, and I wonder if I am missing anything big in regards to the differences between the expansions.

Heralds - All three come with heralds, so I think that is a wash.

Dunwich - Injury/Madness cards, Gate Bursting (woo hoo)

Innsmouth - Personal Stories, Deep One track, AO plots

BGotW - Corruption Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the nice things about the small expansions is that they add encounter cards to the base Arkham locations. The one that adds the least in the way of new rules is Dark Pharaoh, but there are some fun things in there, like double doom token cards.

King In Yellow is fun and adds some potential death. Black Goat is good, too.

You really can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many threads around about this topic... since you even say that you have read them, why do you still post another clonethread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Barnes
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice. I went out at lunch today and bought the Dunwich Horror expansion. Tonight we will ride the rail to Dunwich to see what is going on out at the Whateley Farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Player
United States
California
flag msg tools
Scipio23 wrote:
I bought AH 3 to 4 weeks ago, and my brother and I have been playing it a lot. We have played against every GOO once, plus Azathoth a second time. The first few games were marred by some rules problems, but we have everything down now. The last two games (2nd Azathoth and Cthulhu) we used the alternate 2 monsters to an open gate rule that is normally only used for 5+ investigators (we play with 4). There have been some extremely close calls, but we have triumphed each time.

For the record we are using random investigators (each player draws 3, picks 2) and a mostly random GOO. We wanted to see each of the GOOs, so we redrew on a repeat. All of our victories (except Hastur) have been won with 6 seals. Hastur was won with closing all gates, but we were doing the gate order wrong, and we allowed Find Gate while delayed at that time.

Now we are thinking about expanding. Having read through a number of the threads concerning expansion, I am leaning towards BGotW, DH or IH. Our main consideration is table space. We can use a small board expansions, but it requires putting a few leaves in the table. It does make it a bit annoying, but if they are worth it, then we will do it.

So which expansion would you all recommend?

Since you seem to be winning a lot by using the gate seal method, I would suggest buying the BGotW small box expansion. The herald in that game will drive you mad if you plan on winning without facing the AO. From there I would suggest either Dunwich or Innsmouth. As much as I hate to admit it, the Dunwich Horror monster doesn't wake up most of the time, making that the lesser of the 2 expansions because the board execution isn't as effective as the Innsmouth board. But it's still good. You could always print out the Dunwich Herald from FFG to fix that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.