Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some silly questions from my first play of mission 1 last night:

1) Does a soldier expend any MPs by performing an action other than moving? Can movements be interspersed with actions? For instance, could he move one hex, snap fire, and then move back (or change position) in a single turn? How many MPs would this action require?

2) Does holding a German captive have any effect on a soldier's options OTHER than reducing his MPA to 2? Is he able to fire/assault as normal? I'm having a hard time understanding how a single soldier holding a captive could control a captive and fire his weapon at the enemy without the captive getting away!

3) I notice that some Germans carry grenades, but never saw any paragraphs requiring their use. I want to make sure that a paragraph instructing him to "best fire" does not include attacking with a grenade if possible?

Thanks for any help you could give!
I've enjoyed it so far (about 1/3 of the way to my goal)...2 soldiers wounded, one incapacitated--I'm not optimistic about my chance of success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
cwsipe wrote:
1) Does a soldier expend any MPs by performing an action other than moving? Can movements be interspersed with actions? For instance, could he move one hex, snap fire, and then move back (or change position) in a single turn? How many MPs would this action require?

The rulebook gives you a list of options you can undertake on a soldier's given turn (p. 14f). You pick only one of these, eventually combining it with the free stance change allowed for unwounded soldiers. However, two actions are combined movement actions: "Move/Snap Fire" and "Move/ Charge Assault". Both allow a soldier to move half its MPA (rounded down) and undertake the given action with a negative modifier. This movement can be done before and/or after the action, and the MPs received can be used for stance change; this is the only option for a wounded soldier to fire and change stance in the same turn.

Quote:
2) Does holding a German captive have any effect on a soldier's options OTHER than reducing his MPA to 2? Is he able to fire/assault as normal? I'm having a hard time understanding how a single soldier holding a captive could control a captive and fire his weapon at the enemy without the captive getting away!

I'm sorry, but I don't remember that a captive guarding soldier's MPA is reduced to 2. A wounded soldier's MPA is reduced to 2. A guard can fire as normal, but the captive is considered free, should the guard move during rounds. A captive can only be moved during operations. (In WWII captives who tried to get away were usually shot, although this was not legitimate - so why should a soldier who's already using his weapon not shoot at the escaping captive?)

Quote:
3) I notice that some Germans carry grenades, but never saw any paragraphs requiring their use. I want to make sure that a paragraph instructing him to "best fire" does not include attacking with a grenade if possible?

Grenades are only used in close combat, i.e. their use is triggered by self preservation and other special paragraphs. "Best fire" always refers to using the available firearm, even if that's only a pistol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!
Now that I look back, I see that you can't move a captive during rounds so it would make no sense for MPA to be reduced.

One other quick question:
If a German card says 'Grenade' under equipment, is it only a single grenade or can he use grenades as often as called for in paragraphs?

Thanks so much again...it is looking like I'm going to make it through the mission. 1 KIA, 1 incapacitated, 4 wounded soldiers, and 2 healthy soldiers are just looking for a couple more Germans to eliminate to gain enough VPs for the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
cwsipe wrote:
One other quick question:
If a German card says 'Grenade' under equipment, is it only a single grenade or can he use grenades as often as called for in paragraphs?

Unlike other German weapons, grenades are limited to the number given - usually one or two. You somehow need to mark down whether a German has used his grenade/s.

Don't forget to pick up unused grenades; US soldiers can use German grenades without penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't remember that a captive guarding soldier's MPA is reduced to 2. A wounded soldier's MPA is reduced to 2. A guard can fire as normal, but the captive is considered free, should the guard move during rounds. A captive can only be moved during operations.

This isn't correct. 11/2, second paragraph, says "A captured German may be moved by a US soldier occupying the same hex, during Operations or Rounds; during Rounds, however, the Movement Allowances of the German and his guard are reduced to 2. ..."

The only way a prisoner becomes free is if left alone in a hex, as far as I can see ("in a hex without an active US soldier, by your own choice or not").

Quote:
Grenades are only used in close combat, i.e. their use is triggered by self preservation and other special paragraphs.

Watch out though for some Germans that, if I remember correctly, stand and throw grenades at 4-6 hexes. Since I don't remember for sure I don't consider that much of a spoiler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW there are some old threads on prisoners here worth reading. The rules as written allow for some very gamey tactics, using the prisoners as shields (since Germans never fire at a hex containing prisoners). Some, most or all (don't remember) of us consider that a really bad thing. I think it makes good sense, and the game more fun, to try to evacuate prisoners as fast as possible to some quiet area of the map, guarded by some wounded US soldier or someone else I can spare, rather than walking around with a stack of prisoners where they are more likely to affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Sipe
United States
Troy
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the correction about prisoners...I could have sworn I read that somewhere but then I couldn't find it again after Simon's post! So this means that a soldier holding a prisoner is able to move 1 hex and snap fire using the move/snap fire action?

Yes, the use of prisoners as a shield had already crossed my mind, but I'm going to take my prisoner back to one of the houses (on the first mission) where I already have a US soldier holding for the end of the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe move 1 + snap fire is ok, since the rule says the movement allowance is reduced to 2, and there are no mentions of other restrictions (for the guard) so I guess you can treat it just like any other US soldier except that it moves slower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.