Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first (solo) play of vanilla Arkham Horror this weekend and had a pure blast. I must say the theme is really well conveyed by components and mechanics and the tension builds up in a wicked manner.
I was concerned as gates opened way faster than I could close them (I spent five turns sealing the first gate: two turns collecting clues, two turns journeying into the Other World and one turn closing and sealing; in the meantime five gates had opened shake) but once enough gates are opened the Mythos cards just call for monster surges. I had a relief mid-game but with so many monsters around and me fighting almost none (I was the Student and chose to focus on clues and sealing) the Terror Track begun to fill and in the end the Ancient One awoke as I was about to return from the Other Worlds to seal my sixth gate.

I wondered if the monsters in the Outskirts are considered in Arkham and ruled they were not. I read in another thread here that they probably aren't but that there isn't a definitive answer.

When Yig awakened I was somewhat concerned because I only had two sanity remaining but in the end I was able to defeat him without too many problems. I was wondering if I was just outfitted right or if it's just meant to be on the easy side with him.
I was blessed so Yig's special ability just countered that instead of cursing me (which would have been much worse). I had an axe and the deputy revolver for a +5 to fight and 9 total which meant six dice rolled each turn once Yig's (somewhat puny) -3 modifier is factored in.
I put the sliders to maximum fight and speed (both 4). I had the speed special skill (from the start) so the first few turns I haven't had any trouble avoiding Yig's attacks. With time passing and the modifier becoming more negative, I started using clue tokens (each one added two dice per the speed special ability) so that I was always abled to roll at least one five and eventually defeated him without being hit once.

Also, reading the rules, it says I have to obtain a number of successes equal to the number of players (so one in this instance) to wound Yig. Then the number of successes is reset and I have to start again for the next hit. The way I understood it, it meant that I could only wound Yig once each turn, since I rolled once each turn, made at least one success and then reset the number of successes. However, the FAQ seems to contradict this, saying that only forty successes total are required to defeat Yig and that, for example, if four investigators roll nine successes in a single turn they deal two wounds. If that's true, that means that it would have been even way easier for me, not being even close to a challenge, as with six dice I would deal two wounds each turn on average (I would have needed to survive only five turns instead of ten). Which is correct?

Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gijs Bouwman
Netherlands
Bussum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He,

Monsters in the Outskirts are not in Arkham.

In the Final Battle you remove doomtokens according to the amount of successes (number of inverstigators). So in your case: 1 succes is one hit.
Two players: 2 successes one hit. Three players; 3 successes 1 hit.

Hope this helps! AH is the best!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
I was concerned as gates opened way faster than I could close them (I spent five turns sealing the first gate: two turns collecting clues, two turns journeying into the Other World and one turn closing and sealing; in the meantime five gates had opened shake) but once enough gates are opened the Mythos cards just call for monster surges. I had a relief mid-game but with so many monsters around and me fighting almost none (I was the Student and chose to focus on clues and sealing) the Terror Track begun to fill and in the end the Ancient One awoke as I was about to return from the Other Worlds to seal my sixth gate.

Curious though, you say you weren't killing them for most part, so how were you getting around town? They weren't all sitting quietly at Velma's Diner out of the way ? I saw you mention the Deputy's Revolver, guess after the 2nd gate trophy you used the Paddy Wagon. Did you remember to surge monsters equal to the number of investigators or gates open, whichever is higher? As you mention, by the time you sealed your first gate, there were 5 other open, meaning each surge would bring in 5 monsters at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
Also, reading the rules, it says I have to obtain a number of successes equal to the number of players (so one in this instance) to wound Yig. Then the number of successes is reset and I have to start again for the next hit. The way I understood it, it meant that I could only wound Yig once each turn, since I rolled once each turn, made at least one success and then reset the number of successes. However, the FAQ seems to contradict this, saying that only forty successes total are required to defeat Yig and that, for example, if four investigators roll nine successes in a single turn they deal two wounds. If that's true, that means that it would have been even way easier for me, not being even close to a challenge, as with six dice I would deal two wounds each turn on average (I would have needed to survive only five turns instead of ten). Which is correct?
I very rarely play out the Final Battle, but if memory serves, you basically multiply the size of the Ancient One's doom track by the number of investigators. That's how many successes you need to get, and there's no restriction on how many "hits" you can do per turn. And I think all successes are carried over from turn to turn (which doesn't apply with just one investigator).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azriel wrote:
In the Final Battle you remove doomtokens according to the amount of successes (number of inverstigators). So in your case: 1 succes is one hit.
Two players: 2 successes one hit. Three players; 3 successes 1 hit.

Yep, I understand that. I just thought successes were reset to zero each time a Doom token is removed from the Ancient One sheet. So, although I played just one investigator and so needed only one success to hit, I thought I could only ever remove one counter per turn, as I would roll the dice, score one or more successes, remove one Doom token and then reset the number of successes to zero (i.e. discarding the extra successes beyond the first on my dice roll).

Dam the Man wrote:
Curious though, you say you weren't killing them for most part, so how were you getting around town? They weren't all sitting quietly at Velma's Diner out of the way ? I saw you mention the Deputy's Revolver, guess after the 2nd gate trophy you used the Paddy Wagon. Did you remember to surge monsters equal to the number of investigators or gates open, whichever is higher? As you mention, by the time you sealed your first gate, there were 5 other open, meaning each surge would bring in 5 monsters at that point.

Actually I only realised how useful being Deputy of Arkham would be near the end of the game (I had already sealed four gates at that point).
As I played a sole investigator, the monster limit in Arkham was four (one + the number of investigators). Four monsters don't seem too much trouble to avoid. Most of the time I just was in a part of town where they weren't or I found another way. A few times I sneaked past them. I killed two and was knocked out once.
I played the rest right, it seems: I always used the number of gates as the number of monsters from a surge (so that meant five or six for much of the game, four near the end) but they all went to the Outskirts, eventually raising the Terror level, as I always left Arkham "full" of its four monsters by not fighting them.

puck71 wrote:
I very rarely play out the Final Battle, but if memory serves, you basically multiply the size of the Ancient One's doom track by the number of investigators. That's how many successes you need to get, and there's no restriction on how many "hits" you can do per turn. And I think all successes are carried over from turn to turn (which doesn't apply with just one investigator).

Yes, that's what the FAQ says. I just had the opposite feeling reading the rules. I'll have a look again.

But so, is it normal that Yig was kind of easy or was I just lucky with my equipment/skills/general situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
As I played a sole investigator, the monster limit in Arkham was four (one + the number of investigators). Four monsters don't seem too much trouble to avoid. Most of the time I just was in a part of town where they weren't or I found another way. A few times I sneaked past them. I killed two and was knocked out once.
I played the rest right, it seems: I always used the number of gates as the number of monsters from a surge (so that meant five or six for much of the game, four near the end) but they all went to the Outskirts, eventually raising the Terror level, as I always left Arkham "full" of its four monsters by not fighting them.

Forgot about the monster limit. Too used to "my" limit. I play 4 investigators, so limit is 7. Or used to be, since using DH + IH, 4 investigators count as 3, so 6 nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
But so, is it normal that Yig was kind of easy or was I just lucky with my equipment/skills/general situation?

Both, in a way. Yig is the easiest one to beat in final combat of all 24 Ancient Ones. But getting a blessing helps a ton, but having the correct "defense" skill that allows 2 dice with 1 clue certainly helps against ANY of the "roll to defend" AOs.

Aside from all that, one-investigator games are extremely difficult to win by closing/sealing gates, and extremely easy to win by final combat. If you had 3 or more investigators, the route to victory would begin to shift greatly toward closing and sealing.

Lastly, if you had Kingsport Horror's Epic Battle cards, the battle would be more difficult and more unpredictable. But since you had the (easy to make) misunderstanding regarding inflicting hits on the Ancient One, I have a feeling that you still would have beaten Yig back with ease.

In case you play with multiple investigators in the future, remember that successes you inflict during final combat don't "round off" between rounds. If you roll 2 successes in a 3-investigator game, then you only need one in the following round to remove a doom token. There is one AO in Innsmouth that actively limits the doom tokens you may remove on a given round, but other than that there is no limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

One investigator, WOW ! You deserve a medal of sorts.
The first time I played it solo I used three investigators and nearly died. At least, I went slightly insane which might be better than death.....there again I am not sure laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu is the only AO whose hits don't carry over and that you've got to reset the hit total to zero on a space that didn't generate enough damage to remove the token.

Brutal when you've got three extra and they don't count.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Cthulhu is the only AO whose hits don't carry over and that you've got to reset the hit total to zero on a space that didn't generate enough damage to remove the token.

Brutal when you've got three extra and they don't count.

Brian

No, that is incorrect.

Successes are still tracked the same way. It is just that Cthulhu adds back one doom token each round which means you need more successes than usual.

In your example, the 3 extra successes would carry over but if you had 4 investigators, you would need an additional 4 successes to remove that doom token you just regenerated. The penalty is just that one doom token per round. It is NOT an extra doom PLUS all unallocated successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.