Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a problem. I love Magic, but I know longer have the dedication or money to collect it. I'm hoping someone can settle an argument in my head for me.

I game with a few friends and want to bring Magic back into my gaming life. I've tried to think of ways to do this cheaply and have come up with the following question...

If I bought 2 sets of 4x common playsets from a core set (say, 10th edition), would that be a satisfying Magic experience for me (a former Magic player) and for a friend (a new Magic player). I can grab up some common sets cheaply and we'd be playing with the same card sets.

I know Magic really shines with the power and cost of uncommons and rares, but is common Magic any good? Or am I better off just giving up the dream of cheap Magic and finding another card game?

I am trying to avoid the whole, "What game is as good as Magic but cheap", but I'll gladly entertain other game suggestions. I am mostly curious from the seasoned Magic players whether or not playing with commons only would be a fulfilling experience for 2 players?

Thanks in advance

*UPDATE*

I found a good price on a common/uncommon playset for M10 on eBay. Went ahead and bought two. Essentially it worked out to about the cost of buyin a new game (about $40). Now it plays more like an LCG than a CCG.

Broke it out last night and lost the night to nostalgia. As suspected, and supported in this thread, playing with commons/uncommons only is a completely rewarding experience.

When a 3/3 is the biggest thing on the table, a pyroclasm might as well be a rare!

Introduced a friend to it, and he seemed to really enjoy it. Glad I jumped back in with both feet. Now I have plans to do a similar purchase for upcoming cycles. I appreciate everyones input. It lead to a very satisfactory purchase decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All commons Magic is called "Peasant Magic" and has quite a following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say (IME) that Magic has gotten cheaper to play for me over the years. I'm currently collecting and playing the latest edition and block, and it hasn't broken the bank or been boring in the least.

Jump right back in if you want. Even playing with commons sets up for a good time, everytime.

If I were to complain about anything, it would be that a lot of the "Magic" wanes the longer I play. It's really hard to look back when the game was brand new, and every booster was a new mini-adventure waiting to happen, and look at the game now. Seems to me that no sooner than a set is released, we have it "decoded" (within days or even hours) telling us what everything does and all the best combos right on the internet.

Kinda takes some of the fun out of it for me, but I still play. You should, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know that people play "Peasant Magic". It used to be that case that many commons had the same powers as many of the rares, except for a higher mana cost or otherwise slightly neutered. I am trying to assess how much of the game I'd actually miss out on if I dedicated to just peasant magic. My friend wouldn't know the difference, but I might. Then again, it looks like with M10 coming it may introduce enough of a reboot for me to just jump back in full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a a set of 4xCommons set WITH 3/4 of a 4xUncommons set of 10th edition on eBay for $12 after shipping, and I had some great fun drafting from it with my brother. I may have gotten a good deal, but with M10 comming out this month, you'll probably see some good deals on 10th edition cards for the next few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan VanCouvering
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My group uses a method that keeps costs down and makes sure that playing Magic isn't a matter of who has the most money.

We play with a limit card pool and add (and sometimes subtract) cards at intervals. As an example, we're currently playing with the Alara block. Everyone started with 10 boosters, I think it was 4 Shards, 3 Conflux and 3 Alara Reborn. Everyone has a similar card pool and enough cards to make a few different types of decks, and if you buy full booster boxes it will cost about $30 per person, $3 per booster.

From here we track each game played and keep a ranking system, which we can relate to a number of cards earned and lost each period, but that's not needed. To make it easier, just set an interval and allow everyone to add one booster to their pool every interval. We do this every two weeks. I'd also suggest that you set up an order of acquiring boosters. Magic sets tend to get more powerful with each set, so we're getting new boosters in set order (Shards, Conflux, Reborn, then back to Shards). $3 every two weeks is pretty cheap.

This way you can play whoever you want from the group, whenever you want, and you can expect a reasonable matchup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure what your budget is but cheap Magic is easily doable. Most sets that come out are quickly followed by ebay auctions that have 4x Common and 4x Uncommons for the whole set. These usually go between $25-$35 depending on the size of the set. This will get you hundreds of cards and guaranteed play-sets as well.

That said if you are just looking to get a bunch of cards and play for fun with a friend you surely can find random lots on ebay with hundreds of cards including rares for pretty cheap.

My only caution would be joining up with other players. Most likely you will get stomped by fine tuned net-decks. BUT, You could benefit from folks that have a lot of extra cards that they would donate to your cause.

One last thing. If you want to play competitively you could start joining Friday Night Magic Drafts. This requires no cards up front and costs between $12-15. Plus you get a bunch of cards for later play.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep my eye on playset prices. Being a boardgamer first, and a Magic player second, I thought about just buying a core edition playset and buying other comon playsets like I would an expansion to a non-collectible boardgame. I like things all at once. All the comments have been very helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling near Munich
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you want to give those games a try: A Game of Thrones: The Card Game or Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. Those games are former collectible gard games that now are distributed as "Living Card Games". Every month you can buy a pack for 10 $. You get 40 fixed cards. 10 cards one time and 10 cards three times. If you play casually one pack is enough. If you want to play competitive you trade cards or you buy the pack sometimes two times. Very seldom you would buy a pack three times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on why the game appeals to you. If it's the collecting & getting new things to build decks with, then this might not "scratch your itch".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out octgn2.

while you dont ever get to put the cards in your hand... it seems to have a lot of following.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It depends on why the game appeals to you. If it's the collecting & getting new things to build decks with, then this might not "scratch your itch".

This is a good point. I didn't expound on it in the original post because I wanted to stay a little concise. Magic appeals to me thematically more than anything. I really like the idea of the wizard's duel. I like the color interaction and the mechanics, but I think I'm drawn mostly to the theme possibilities: Goblin decks, Angel decks, the Invasion Dragons, black/white zombie/priests, etc. I never played competitively, just with friends, and like to make thematic decks over the most powerful deck formulas found on the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know exactly how cheap you want to get by here, but you can have a lot of fun with a single booster box. For about $80, you'll get 36 packs. That's enough to make 7 sealed decks and pit them against one another.

Once you're bored of sealed deck, you can lay out all the cards and take turns picking cards until you've split the collection into a smaller collection per person that's tailored pretty well to each person's style. When you get bored of your collections, you can trade entire collections, trade individual cards, or shuffle them together and draft entirely new collections.

Whenever you feel like you need to add some variety to the card pool, you can buy a few more packs or a whole box-- whatever fits into your budget.

I could probably spend several weeks on the sealed decks and then another couple months distributing, trading, and redistributing the one box of cards alone.

I'd recommend picking up Magic 2010 (the next core set-- due out this month, I think) no matter what you do. It looks like a really nifty set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
omnicrondelicious
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 14 years of on-and-off play counts me as a seasoned Magic player. I mostly play Standard or Limited but I can assure you that all-common Magic (also known as Peasant or Pauper Magic) is loads of fun.

The "official" format info is here: http://pdcmagic.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I did to keep costs down was to buy the worlds tournament decks and use deck protectors. I got a lot of rares for cheap that way. Also check out lackeyccg a free program for just about every ccg out there. It would have to be played online of course.

Scott
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also look into: magic workstation, magic cube, and winston draft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Stowe
United States
Mounds View
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game that's really taken off is Dominion: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218
It also has an expansion coming out soon. I have heard the gameplay is similar to Magic, and if you read the description its all about deck building on the fly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Miller
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Dominion that relit my fire, actually. It plays well, and I really enjoy it, but traded my copy away (mostly because a friend owned it as well).

Drafting is fun, and it's a drafting game, but I like the surprise of seeing what someone put in there deck for the first time. It sorta takes the fun out when you see what their pulling off the table. Then it's just a point grab with very little theme. Great strategy game, but someone's deck doesn't say much about them as a player. That's what I enjoyed about Magic.

I've been watching common/uncommon playset prices on ebay. Looks like that's what I'm going to do. I'm just hoping for a price break after the release and cards are in everyones hands, not just the online retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August T
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Magic during Mirage - Tempest block but quit due to costs and time investment. Then Wizards released Duels of the Planeswalkers on XBox Live Arcade which I immediately bought. It's obviously meant to be introductory game since the deck building is non-existent and focus more on creature combat. This is when I realized that the combat portion of Magic is lacking. Bad draws / mana screw / flood is also really annoying.

This prompts me to survey TCG & LCG landscape and found World of Warcraft TCG has better tactical combat and doesn't have mana issue like Magic. It's quite a bit more fiddly due to health isn't restored at the end of every turn like Magic. It doesn't seem to have crazy combo decks like Magic but it seemed the competitive decks are varied and balanced enough. My guess is that you can replicate this variety & balance using commons and uncommons. Cost-wise, it's probably about the same.

I looked at two LCGs from FFG and didn't find the gameplay and theme compelling or similar enough to Magic. However, FFG just announced Warhammer LCG which theme and gameplay seemed to be more familiar. I'm keeping my eye on this one.

I'm also waiting for my order of Race for the Galaxy to arrive which I'm hoping to be able to scratch my TCG itch and playable with my casual friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brotherjo wrote:
Quote:

This is a good point. I didn't expound on it in the original post because I wanted to stay a little concise. Magic appeals to me thematically more than anything. I really like the idea of the wizard's duel. I like the color interaction and the mechanics, but I think I'm drawn mostly to the theme possibilities: Goblin decks, Angel decks, the Invasion Dragons, black/white zombie/priests, etc. I never played competitively, just with friends, and like to make thematic decks over the most powerful deck formulas found on the web.
In that case, you may want to wait for M10 to come out. They've made a conscious decision to make the set have more of a fantasy feel than the previous Core Sets. So it may better help realize the thematic aspects you seem to favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary wallace
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have other friends that play ask them if they would like to go in on a box of boosters. Then when you get the box each takes 3 packs and draft. Have everyone play each other and give one point for every win. After everyone has played redraft the rares in order of wins. Do this till all packs are gone, if any packs are left over give them to the player who had the most points.
This will give you many games to play you and your friends will have a blast and after all is said and done you'll have 2-4 good to very good decks to take to FNM.

If no one will go in on a box. Buy the box don't open the packs. Use the packs to draft with. My game shop has a draft after FMN and players who bring their own packs pay $5 to draft. You can rare draft( always take the rare ) this will give you more rares than opening each pack, you'll play lots of games and will more than likely win 10 or more packs for the $60 bucks you'll pay for the drafts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just my two cents.. How about getting one of the new Duel Decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.