Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone out there that has an interest in starting a design guild similiar to the one in salt lake city?

I'd be very interest in playing other's game concepts in exchange for same on a rotational basis.

Was thinking that we could meet on a monthly basis, allocating 1 - 1 1/2 for each person to get their game on the table and tested.

Would probably limit to euro style board and card games with light wargames.

respond here or geekmail me if interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested. I'm in San Jose, but I could make it up to SF if necessary; or I could host down in SJ, if the attendance wasn't too large (I could support 12 or so.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm interested but am not sure how much I could attend or contribute. While there are exceptions, my designs mostly tend away from the inclusive family-style gaming that is the centre of Euro-style games.

ObAside: There is a fairly steady roster of prototypes played at SB-Boardgamers (admittedly, mostly Ted Alspach's and my designs). A few also get played at BAP, SVB and the Los Altos Gamesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested, and live in San Jose.
TW, I'm sorry we never connected on playtesting for Cairo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I'm interested but am not sure how much I could attend or contribute. While there are exceptions, my designs mostly tend away from the inclusive family-style gaming that is the centre of Euro-style games.

Really, JC. I know your games are not "inclusive" so perhaps not at the sweetspot of Eurogames. But they are not pure abstracts. They are not dicefest Ameritrash. They are not historical wargames. They are not RPGs. They are, at least the ones I've played, basically Eurogames if at the more involved side of Eurogames.

Not to say whether or not you would find this guild meeting useful or interesting. You are the one to make that call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
ObAside: There is a fairly steady roster of prototypes played at SB-Boardgamers (admittedly, mostly Ted Alspach's and my designs). A few also get played at BAP, SVB and the Los Altos Gamesday.

Maybe we could just start making a monthly date at SB-Boardgamers dedicated to play testing prototypes. That way we could play oursleves and pull in some others as well.

For those (like me!) that don't know, SB-Boardgamers meets at Yahoo Cafeteria on Monday afternoons (6:30). 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale CA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Really, JC. I know your games are not "inclusive" so perhaps not at the sweetspot of Eurogames. But they are not pure abstracts. They are not dicefest Ameritrash. They are not historical wargames. They are not RPGs. They are, at least the ones I've played, basically Eurogames if at the more involved side of Eurogames.

Not to say whether or not you would find this guild meeting useful or interesting. You are the one to make that call.

I think dave hit on the head, listing all the types of games that I wouldn't seeing as a fit. I'd be very interested in "Euros" that make you think or interact more than standard fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a "guild" in the Chicagoland area called the Board Game Designers' Workshop.

Use an artist critique process: Bring your art, we say what we like/don't like, and thoughts on things to consider. Designer picks and chooses feedback to keep and disregard.

Been going strong for 6 years.

Tim

PS. There is also a meet-up group that meets downtown. BGDW meets in the western suburbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in playtesting protos and chatting about design.

I have a game design myself that I wouldn't mind more eyes on than just my local game group.

I live and work in Sunnyvale, and I've never heard of any of these game groups listed here! :-O Guess I'll have to check them out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heuer
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm in Los Altos. I'd be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: SF Bay Area Board Game Design Guild - First Meeting July 27th
I have cleared it Eugene Hung of South Bay Board Gamers to do our first meeting at the SBBG game night on July 27th, Yahoo! cafeteria Sunnyvale.

I went ahead and started a yahoo group for people that want to playtest, bring their game designs and/or just be informed about what is going on, please go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BAbgDg to register.

First order of business is to nominate your games that you want to bring on July 27th, please use the Yahoo group to enter. I am thinking that we have 2 playtest sessions starting promptly at 6:30, at least 1 game per session (depending on participants) and each session last 1.5-2 hours inclusive of rules review and feedback. Judge your games appropriately, and prepare aids, extra copies of rules (or rule summaries), etc to ensure that as much of that time is spent testing and providing feedback as possible!

Finally we will need some (but not many) guidelines. its worth reviewing the very detailed site that the Salt Lake Game Design Guild has put together (http://www.bgdg.info/). While I am not ready to hold elections, post a charter, have your babies yet! We do need just a few guidng ideas to make sure this doesn't go south quickly so I prospose that we start with these "rules:

1) We are an inclusive group but focused on "euro" games (ie, no RPG, CCG, heavy wargames, dice fests)

2) Anyone can participate, but testing your game requires that you also test others.

3) Games should have been run through solo (at a minimum) and you as the designer should be open to ending a testing session early if the game is clearly broken, or people aren't enjoying it.

4) Games are tested to be critiqued! Come with your thick skin, but ensure your feedback is constructive.

5) Its Ok to bring back the same game, but make sure that its changed in a significant way to correct prior feedback and/or improve game play.

Of course this will change overtime, and I am completely open to suggestions. look forward to meeting you on the 27th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Travis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick reminder that the BABGDG (I think we need a new name) will be meeting for the first time tomorrow! See above for details on time and location.

tworthington wrote:
This Monday will be the first "meeting" of the Bay Area Boardgame Design Group. Eugene was kind enough to allow us to join the South Bay Gamers night, so look for us.

Games that we will bringing to test on Monday include:

Triumvirate - Soon to be self published, Triumvirate is an indirect and fast playing two player tricking taking game. Single games play in around 10 minutes, though you usually play best 2 of 3. There are 2 variants, a shuffle version that emulates a typical card game and a draft version that has no luck after the initial deal.

Doki-Doki!! Classmates!! (DDC) - a set building card game where you can create your own wacky set of Anime characters. DDC is intended to be played by 2-4 players in competition for the largest and quirkiest circle of cute Anime friends. Game length is 30-60 minutes.

Food of the Gods - an early stage auction/economic game for 3-6 players. Players select secret goals that determine ultimate values
of items they are bidding on. Items can also be bought and sold based on their last auction value, sold items are removed from play. Items score after a certain number have been revealed, their score determined for each player differently as a result of the combination of the order that they were scored, the number that remain in play and the where the player placed that item's in their secret objectives. Again this game has no luck after the initial card deal. Games should play in around an hour.

If you have an interest in playing any of our games and/or your own please join us on Monday and sign up for our yahoo group at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/BAbgDg/, we'd be happy to have you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.