Subject: Lookin' for something new... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi BGG,

Having used the site to navigate into the world of fun boardgames, I figured it was time to tap into the vast array of knowledge and seek a recommendation.

The wife and I have recently gotten into the wonderful world of European games. We started out with Carcossonne and Ticket to Ride Europe, and recently received Agricola as a gift. Of the three, Agricola is probably our favourite (although we're still playing the family game, much to my chagrin).

Although I've been 'forbidden' to buy any more games until we play them all more frequently (currently about once a week on average), I'm looking for something new.

I'm a political junky, so I'm interested in Twilight Struggle, or 1960, but I doubt I could get her to play with me, rendering the games pretty much useless. Our friends aren't really 'gamers' - we've played TtR and Carc with them, but I fear trying to teach them Agricola.

I'm looking for something a little different (I was thinking maybe Pandemic?). The only caveats are: it has to be fun with only two people, as we frequently play by ourselves, but needs to have the ability to play with more; I would like it to be easy to teach other people - a massive conversation to be playable is not the best for my ADD friends; and, no war games - We like abstract and different themes (Agricola), but I think I'd have a tough time trying to sell a wargame to people (if I get asked, "is it like Risk?", I'll kill someone).

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic seems a fine choice.

I've had good luck with Kingsburg, Oregon, and Vikings as well, in terms of fun 2-player games that expand to 4 players and are easy to teach/learn. Vikings and Oregon, although they both play completely differently than Carcassonne, have enough superficial tile-placement similarity that anyone who likes Carcassone will be easy to talk into trying them. Kingsburg is vaguely a worker-placement game like Agricola, but much easier, and dice make it more accessible to non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These all play well with two and up:

Stone Age
Arkadia
Blue Moon City
Dominion
The Hanging Gardens
Hansa
Ingenious
Snow Tails
Keltis/Lost Cities: The Board Game
Masons
Mykerinos
Qwirkle
Saint Petersburg
Thurn and Taxis
Vikings
Oltre Mare
Oregon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Tsuro - minimal rules, plays 2-8 in about 20 minutes. It's a tile laying game with beautiful bits where you follow the path you create.

Unnamed Object is a push your luck exploration game (think Indiana Jones), says 3-8 but works fine with 2.

Stone Age is a good bet.

Wasabi! is colorful with a fun theme - make sushi recipes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the above, which I agree with, I would also suggest Thebes

It plays well with two player, and is different and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game yu might want is Free At Last, based on the Twilight Struggle mechanics and FREE. Meaning you dont have to buy a game, Just print is out and spend a few hours putting it together. It's a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
excellent! thanks for all the suggestions. I think we may try Thebes or Wasabi! as the themes are a bit different from what we've got. Although trying to convince her that I got them without paying for them may be difficult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Porter
United States
Bassett
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a blatant plug, but I'll suggest soft landing v1.0. I'll second the suggestion of Pandemic and add the quirky little game Red November.

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
This has been a popular topic as of late...

I'll throw in my two bits with my recommendation, Illuminati: Deluxe Edition. 2 players aren't as fun as more, but it has infinite replay ability and gleans on the political.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.