Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » General

Subject: Waiting on MMP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Doty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I have just barely discovered ASL. A friend of mine bought SK1 a while ago and didn't have anyone to play it with until I tried it. I love the game and am patiently waiting for MMP to reprint Beyond Valor so I can jump into the full rules of ASL.

My question comes regarding the different Modules. How does one know if they have the right counters to play the different modules?

Are there any modules I could purchase and play now, without Beyond Valor? I currently only have SK2, to the best of my knowledge it was the last piece of ASL left in the state of Utah when I bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in a similar position on the learning curve, but started purchasing stuff about two weeks ago.

I think the only way to really GUARANTEE that you have everything needed to play is to buy the base modules in order and to assume the Action Packs, Journals, and Third Party products require everything. With so many modules OOP and expensive and hard to find this is difficult.

HOWEVER, I've found the ASL scenario archive http://davidramsey.no-ip.info/asl/viewPub.php?id=729 very helpful. You can look up each product and get a list of its scenarios. Clicking on the scenario tells you what boards and overlays are required and the two sides that are fighting. This gives you a decent estimate of what is needed to play it. I've also found the Desperation Morale website helpful for the general descriptions of each module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note if you look at purchasing Paratrooper. While Paratrooper was designed as a stand-alone entry point, it assumed that you had the old Squad Leader maps, (as did the Avalon Hill edition of Beyond Valor) so you'll need to pick them up used separately or just wait for the BV3 reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Woyak
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Everybody POLKA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
module dependency chart. not completely up to date, but will give you a good idea.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/31682

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jrdoty wrote:
patiently waiting for MMP to reprint Beyond Valor

Hope you brought your sleeping bag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BV is a requirement for any ASL module because of the info and terrain counters. It also comes with some of the most used boards in the system so chances are an older scenario will use some of those boards from BV.

The RB is back in stock and BV is only a month away so get the RB now, or start reading it and that will keep you occupied until BV is available again. One thing though, BV is not a very good module for new players because they tend to be large and many have vehicles / guns. Paratrooper is without a doubt the best newbie module, but if you can't find that at a reasonable price download the freebie scenario's and find some infantry only Tactics scenario's and play a couple of them, or even play your SK's with ASL rules. You are learning so don't worry about 'balance'. Look into VASL because it really can help out a lot for playing scenario's when OB's are OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe DB is so low on the priority list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.