Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cylon Fleet- Basestar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was playing with my group the other day and one of my friends asked me if Cylon Fleet could activate basestars. The text of the location seems to suggest it, but I could of sworn I had heard that it was not allowable. I told my friend that I actually wasn't sure, but I wasn't sure I could find him anything that said anything either way. I looked on the boards and I haven't been able to find it.

Can anyone show me any information that shows whether or not this is allowable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does based on my 16+ plays of the game plus spending a fair bit of time on this forum. I'll have to post back if I can find that part in the rules though.

page 24 of rulebook, bottom left hand side...

Quote:
Activate Cylon Basestars
Activate Basestars Icon
When a Cylon basestar is activated, the basestar attacks
Galactica. The current player rolls a die for each basestar on
the game board to find out if the attack damages Galactica
(see “Attacking,” on this page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can activate any kind of ship, be it Raider, Heavy Raider or Basestar... It says right on the board:

Cylon Fleet
Action: Activate all Cylon ships of one type, or launch 2 raiders and 1 heavy raider from each basestar.

And if you need something on the rulebook it says on page 21 "Ships Reference", in which, Basestars are included.

On the FAQ, there's also:

Q: Can a revealed Cylon player activate heavy raiders using
the “Cylon Fleet” location in order to advance Centurions up
the boarding party track?
A: Yes. He may even do this if there are not any heavy raiders
or basestars on the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we've played like...i have to say over 60 games of this at this point and I've never really thought about this question. Its just one of those things...

When you say "it does" do you mean you think its allowable or you dont?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Kraft
Finland
flag msg tools
As said in the rules the basestars are ships.

Now there's the question: Are they cylon ships or human ships?

I'd think them as cylon ships in which case they are allowed to be activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deserter wrote:
As said in the rules the basestars are ships.

Now there's the question: Are they cylon ships or human ships?

I'd think them as cylon ships in which case they are allowed to be activated.
That's also in the rules...

page 3, empahsis mine
Quote:
Basestars
These large tokens represent the Cylon basestars, which can attack Galactica and launch raiders during combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But human civilian ships and vipers are invulnerable to basestar attacks! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
But human civilian ships and vipers are invulnerable to basestar attacks! surprise
Right. They go after Galactica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Aging One wrote:
But human civilian ships and vipers are invulnerable to basestar attacks! :surprise:

And they can also launch raiders to take care of the vipers and the civilian ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagypapi wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Aging One wrote:

And they can also launch raiders to take care of the vipers and the civilian ships.

But, thematically, it makes no sense, shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Nagypapi wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Aging One wrote:

It's a board game. Thematic reasons often take a backseat to keep gameplay in check.

For example, I'm pretty sure Roslin knows jack squat about how to repair Weapons Control or how to repair vipers. Tyrol, yes. Perhaps also Boomer and Starbuck. However, in this board game, you give Roslin a repair card and she's just as good as anyone else at repairing a couple of vipers, save for Tyrol on his turn. Not to the theme, but if no1 choose Tyrol in any given game, damaging galactica and vipers and not allowing any1 else to perform repairs would make for a very difficult game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Aging One wrote:
Nagypapi wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Aging One wrote:

It's a board game. Thematic reasons often take a backseat to keep gameplay in check.

For example, I'm pretty sure Roslin knows jack squat about how to repair Weapons Control or how to repair vipers. Tyrol, yes. Perhaps also Boomer and Starbuck. However, in this board game, you give Roslin a repair card and she's just as good as anyone else at repairing a couple of vipers, save for Tyrol on his turn. Not to the theme, but if no1 choose Tyrol in any given game, damaging galactica and vipers and not allowing any1 else to perform repairs would make for a very difficult game.

Thank you, but I understood that point. As far as the program is concerned, basestars (and even heavy raiders) could shoot vipers and civilian ships routinely; IMO, it is just a much bigger leap to have basestars ignore all ships except the Galactica. Even the Galactica gets to engage all types of Cylon ships. As to your point, it could be that Roslin just orders someone else to do the actual work (no grease under her nails).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the real problem with this is that...if you have two revealed cylons and each turn they decide to activate basestars, the basestar damages galactica on a 4-8. This means that they have a 50% chance each time of dealing a damage, and 5 damage is a loss.

So lets say you have a game of 5 people, and you can pick a Political, Military, Pilot, Support, and one more of out of the original three...you're going to be hard pressed to find people who can draw blue. Not to mention TWO of those people are going to reveal themselves and be hurtful, not helpful. Now I realize those people who cannot , can simply use the location to draw a blue card, but I still don't think its enough to actually survive a basestar onslaught. Let's say that each turn the cylons succeeded in damaging, which happens often in games we play. That's 2 damage per turn. That means it'll take two human actions to repair those locations. If you're getting 3-4 damage every game turn, it's going to mean that everyones going to have to focus on repairing all of the time.

To me, this seems like the obvious way for cylon players to go, if this is the case.

Edit* I also do realize that you can jump to escape basestars, and there will be many situations where basestars are only out one at a time, or none at all. However, I think enough situations present themselves where two basestars are out, for this to be a potential problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and 5 damage is a loss

Actually, it is 6.

It is just too weird to see a sector of Galactica's space filled with vipers/defenseless civilian ships (otherwise known as a target-rich environment) and a basestar and the basestar cannot anything other than shoot at Galactica or, hopefully, launch raiders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errr 6 yeah, typo ;p. Well, I mean in the show the basestar is generally focusing all of its attack power on galactica while the raiders fly around and do their thing, but I would definitely enjoy some kind of rule where the basestar might be able to attack a civ or viper on a certain roll or something

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think we need an answer about this topic here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
An answer to what question? Can the Cylon Fleet location activate Basestars? Yes, they can.

Page 21 of the rulebook details which ships are human and which ships are Cylon. There are three type of Cylon ship: Basestars, Heavy Raiders and Raiders.

The Cylon Fleet location says you can activate any one type of Cylon ship.

Page 24 of the rulebook details what happens when you activate Basestars.

What more do you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the problem was that the Basestars seemed like a different type of ship than your average raider or heavy raider, and it seemed like a very powerful thing to do when two basestars were out.

However,

I recently got confirmation from Corey

"Yes, they may absolutely activate base stars!"

So its official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why? 'Cos they're made of cardboard? There are plastic basestars in the new expansion if that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was more-so because they had their own damage counters and things of that nature. They're obviously a larger ship to face than raiders, but they also had more than just extra life or damage, they had their own little mechanics that needed to be worked out. But I am excited about those plastic basestars ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
But I am excited about those plastic basestars ;p

Me too. Now we just need a plastic Colonial One and a plastic Galactica!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.