Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola!

After much waiting, I was finally able to get my hands on a copy of Descent--along with Road to Legend--and gave it a bit of a solo try to get familiar with the rules. Good fun, but a couple of questions came up through playing:

1) Melee attacks around a corner; is it okay?

2) Blast: is it a single attack applied to everyone in the area? Which means that a single person dodging in that area can make it miss for everyone?

3) How do trees--giving Shadowcloak--stand up to Breath?

4) In an RtL outside encounter: if the heroes kill everything on the board, but on his turn the OL paid threat for a reinforcement but hasn't brought in into play yet... is the encounter over? Or do the heroes have to kill the incoming baddy?

5) Burn: a hero is burning, taking damage, and an encounter/dungeon ends; do the markers go away?

6)RtL: Dungeon #4--the map is really hard to make out. Are their pits only in the first room?

7) If the OL plays 'Aim' on a Manticore, does the effect apply to both attacks of its Quickshot?

8) Can a hero use the starting glyph in the entrance of a dungeon to head straight back to town?

and finally...

9) Upon returning to a dungeon, does a hero have to arrive on the glyph, or is adjacent okay?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm enjoying what I've played so far, and just trying to shake out the uncertainties before dropping it on my school's gaming group.

Cheers,
-M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am a newb too but i can answer a couple of your questions.

1) I believe melee attacks around a corner are fine yes.
2) Blast is a single attack applied to everyone. The way i believe it works, say there were 3 heroes under the blast and one had dodge. The other two get the original rolled damage the dodge one gets the rerolled damage.

8) guess so, you just camefrom there, chicken! what do you want to go back for.

9) I believe you only start adjacent to a glyph on initial set up, rest of the time you come back to the glyph.

Not got RtL so can't help there

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andywatkins1963 wrote:
The way i believe it works, say there were 3 heroes under the blast and one had dodge. The other two get the original rolled damage the dodge one gets the rerolled damage.

I belive you just made that up.
andywatkins1963 wrote:
8) guess so, you just camefrom there, chicken! what do you want to go back for.

If you're playing Road to Legend, it's a quick way back to Tamalir from any dungeon on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
2) Blast: is it a single attack applied to everyone in the area? Which means that a single person dodging in that area can make it miss for everyone?

Yes.

Quote:

Shadowcloak means you can't hit unless you're adjacent. Breath does nothing to change that, as far as I know.

Quote:
8) Can a hero use the starting glyph in the entrance of a dungeon to head straight back to town?

Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kennedy
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
You got Both JD and RL at once? How very brave of you! Heop you enjoy it as much as I do! Great Questions by the way - thoughtful! Here's what I believe is correct regarding your questions:

1) Yes Melee attacks only require the target be adjacent in any direction including diagonally Even of the two orthogonal spaces are occupied. i.e.
AX
XB
A can hit B with a melee weapon even if either or both X square(s) occupied with a wall or any other object. Diagonals are not treated any different. (Actually this is one area of Descent I find frustrating!)

2) Blast or any other area affect can be dodged by one person and the results after the dodge affect everyone affected. That how it reads in the rules and I haven't seen any FAQ that says otherwise. It simply forces the attacker to re-roll the dice. If two figures have dodge they each can dodge one at a time. Or if the attack already missed don't bother!

3) This is kind weird - I read it as the Shadowcloak ability means the recipient is not affected by a breath or blast unless the attacking figure is adjacent. I say this is weird because another character sleeping in the bottom of a pit behind rubble still is affected by a breath weapon. Yet the tree saves the figure in it?

4) If it's not on the map is not on the map. Encounter Ends when there are no more beasts or no more players on the map. So that last beast would just walk away with still alive and the Encounter will end.

5) On Poison and Curse tokens remain on the character. They are only removed by items or in towns. All other tokens are immediately removed and they don't get the chance to do any more damage or effects. I wish the frost had to stay though! but then as an evil overlord I want anything that makes the players lives miserable!

6) In Bridge of Death the only pits are in that first second after the hallway. Yeah I wish there were more pits. I also wish the leader wasn't an easy target for a quick player at the start. Razorwings are fast and should be able to start from a concealed location.

7) Aim only affects the first shot that you actually use Aim with. So it turns out you can use the Aim on either the first shot or the second shot. But not both. If you use one Aim on one show you can cast another Aim for the second shot as long as it's done before the dice are rolled. As it states on the card.

8) Any Glyph goes back to town. Just watch that all the players don't head out at the same time - otherwise well... they've left the dungeon and that part of the campaign is over! The players can exit via the glyph on the very first turn since technically they didn't enter by the glyph they just start there.

9) When returning the first movement point takes the player from the town to the Glyph's square. A player can move through any figure on that glyph. This is because players can move though players and the monsters technically are not allowed to end movement on a opened glyph. (Sometimes a glyph opens at range while a monster is standing on it originally closed).

Great stuff - hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
andywatkins1963 wrote:
The way i believe it works, say there were 3 heroes under the blast and one had dodge. The other two get the original rolled damage the dodge one gets the rerolled damage.

I belive you just made that up.

He could be thinking of Stealth from the Tomb of Ice expansion; the result of the stealth die applies only to figures with the Stealth ability, even if other figures were affected by the same attack.

But yes, in the case of dodge, the reroll affects all figures. One hero (or monster) can dodge on behalf of all the others.

Weloi Avala wrote:
7) If the OL plays 'Aim' on a Manticore, does the effect apply to both attacks of its Quickshot?

No. An Aim is played when an attack is declared and applies only to that attack; a monster with Quickshot can make its two attacks at different times during its actiation and at different targets.

Aim is a pretty weak card, except in conjunction with a few specific effects, most notably Bash (from the Altar of Despair expansion).

Weloi Avala wrote:
9) Upon returning to a dungeon, does a hero have to arrive on the glyph, or is adjacent okay?

In the base game, you always arrive on top of the glyph. In Road to Legend, I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Green
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
1) Melee attacks around a corner; is it okay?

Yes!

Weloi Avala wrote:

No. The original roll applies to all figures that are not dodging. Then the dodging figures can choose dice to reroll and if that misses, it misses all of the dodging figures, but still hits the non-dodging ones.

Weloi Avala wrote:

Shadowcloak protects them from Breath unless the creature making a breath attack is adjacent to them.

Weloi Avala wrote:
4) In an RtL outside encounter: if the heroes kill everything on the board, but on his turn the OL paid threat for a reinforcement but hasn't brought in into play yet... is the encounter over? Or do the heroes have to kill the incoming baddy?

I think it's over. The rules say the heroes win if they "kill all of the monsters on the board" and reinforced creatures are explicitly placed "off the board".

Weloi Avala wrote:
5) Burn: a hero is burning, taking damage, and an encounter/dungeon ends; do the markers go away?

FAQ wrote:
At the end of an encounter or dungeon (but not a dungeon level) all lingering effect tokens are removed from all heroes with the following exceptions: Poison and Curse tokens stay. (Note, however, that Red Scorpion’s healing power means that she will heal all her Poison tokens and then continue to heal until she is at her maximum wounds.)

Weloi Avala wrote:
6)RtL: Dungeon #4--the map is really hard to make out. Are their pits only in the first room?

Can't check on this one right now.

Weloi Avala wrote:

No. Aim applies to only one attack for both heroes and monsters.

Weloi Avala wrote:

Sure!

Weloi Avala wrote:

I believe you have to return to the actual glyph square. In RtL, you can go to town from an adjacent square, but I don't think the rules say you can return to an adjacent space, though it's hardly game-breaking if you decide otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scaramanga wrote:
If two figures have dodge they each can dodge one at a time.

No they do not. Only one reroll takes place; the first dodging player to the attacker's left chooses which dice to reroll (see the rules for any AoE attack ability).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobomb wrote:
Weloi Avala wrote:

No. The original roll applies to all figures that are not dodging. Then the dodging figures can choose dice to reroll and if that misses, it misses all of the dodging figures, but still hits the non-dodging ones.

OK, that's three people who have gotten the answer to this wrong in this thread, so I'm going to go into more detail here.

The rules for dodging (p. 14) say that the dodger may "force his attacker...to re-roll any number of dice rolled for the attack. The...player may only do this once for each attack, and must accept the second result."

Dodging is also referenced on page 17, where it says that a single attack can never, under any circumstances, be re-rolled more than once. And, finally, all of the AoE attacks in the base game (Blast, Breath, and Sweep) include the clause "if a [AoE] attack is dodged by more than one figure, only one re-roll may be made (the first dodging player to the attacking player's left decides which dice, if any, are to be re-rolled)."

So we have a clear indication that multiple dodges do not "stack", and it would be very weird to construe the AoE rules as meaning that only the first dodging player benefits from the reroll and the others gain no benefit from dodging, so clearly there are at least some cases in which you can benefit from someone else's dodge reroll.

There is nothing I can find that remotely suggests the results of the reroll are applied only to the dodging figure, and in fact situations exist that have no clear resolution if you try to do that--for example, monsters can spend 2 surges for 1 threat on their attacks; what happens if the reroll gets a different number of surges than the original roll? You can't spend surges differently for each target, and the threat gained isn't per-target anyway, so you would have no way of resolving the attack. Splitting up the targets only works for Stealth because the only possible die results are blank and X.

If anyone dodges an AoE attack, one re-roll is made, and the re-roll affects all figures subject to the attack, whether they were dodging or not. I submit this is the only playable interpretation, and the only one consistent with the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobomb wrote:
Weloi Avala wrote:

Shadowcloak protects them from Breath unless the creature making a breath attack is adjacent to them.

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: How does Shadowcloak interact with Blast? Is the origin of the attack considered to be the attacker or the space from which the Blast originates?
A: The origin of the attack is still considered to be the attacker. If a hero with a Blast attack wishes to hit a Shadowcloaked monster without hitting himself, he should move adjacent to the monster and target the attack in a (potentially empty) square such that the monster, and not the hero, is hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:

Weloi Avala wrote:

In the base game, you always arrive on top of the glyph. In Road to Legend, I'm not sure.

From the RtL Rules, page 18:
Quote:
... On the hero’s following turn, he may either return to any activated glyph of transport for one movement point (as normal), or restock in Tamalir again, in the same building or another one. ...

All of the normal Descent rules apply unless changed by the RtL rules. The RtL rules only state that to leave a dungeon via a glyph that the hero may be next to the glyph. The above statement calls out that the hero returns "as normal", it seems clear that the returning hero must start on the glyph, not next to it.

The being next to the glyph to leave makes sense given the change in RtL that the hero must start their turn next to or on the glyph. This allows multiple heroes to use leave via the glyph on the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Thanks for all the timely responses--good to see that I've been (mostly) playing things properly.

Another question or two I forgot from earlier (with more likely to come when next I play):

10) Returning to a dungeon: if the heroes flee or are killed in a dungeon--or even if they clear out all 3 levels--can they return to it? Are new cards drawn from the deck? (Are old cards sent to the graveyard once used, to avoid repeats?)

11) Just confirming this one, as there doesn't seem to be anything to contradict it: creatures (and heroes) are hit by their own blast, correct? So a Lava Beetle, say, would be hurt by its own blast 1?

Thanks for all the help... looking forward to having another go at the game (and hopefully writing up the results in a session report).

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
10) Returning to a dungeon: if the heroes flee or are killed in a dungeon--or even if they clear out all 3 levels--can they return to it? Are new cards drawn from the deck? (Are old cards sent to the graveyard once used, to avoid repeats?)

Once the heroes have left a dungeon -- whether it be a result of fleeing, a total party kill, or they completed all 3 floors -- they may never reenter it. They can still travel to the dungeon space on the world map, mind you, but they cannot actually enter the dungeon to explore it a second time.

If they reach a dungeon space, and then leave without entering the dungeon proper, then they can still enter that dungeon at a later time.

Quote:
11) Just confirming this one, as there doesn't seem to be anything to contradict it: creatures (and heroes) are hit by their own blast, correct? So a Lava Beetle, say, would be hurt by its own blast 1?

That's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And one more, hopefully the last for awhile... oddly, the first question I had reading through the rules, but the last one to query:

12) Equiping: though the rules are pretty clear on what a hero can equip and what can be carried in the pack, I was unsure about the how/when/cost of swapping in and out equipment. I think it's a cost of 2 MP, right? Does this mean that a hero could, for example, Battle, making a melee strike with the first attack, burn 2 fatigue to whip out a bow, and use the second attack to strike at range?

Phew! That should be all until I get another session in. Thanks for all the help, people.

-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy and all regarding dodging in a blast.

a) yes i admit i did make it up, or in other words i thought that was what the rules meant!

b) I totally agree the rules are very clear that if you have two people with dodge, only the first causes a reroll and you apply that result to all dodgers.

c) guessing here but i suspect that Jeremy is right that the rules intent is that if one person dodges the new roll applies to all the heroes under the blast whether they have dodge or not. This is the simple solution so probably the one the rules intend.

Does it make sense? NO! Someone fires what is effectively a flamethrower at you, and you have dodge, you manage to dodge, duck etc and avoid the worst of the flame. Firstly i would have said realistically a dodge type move just would not work for an area effect weapon. But let's say it does and you manage to avoid the worst of the flaim. How does that help the guy stood behind you without dodge? The fact that you ducked is not going to help him at all, so the heroes without dodge benefitting from a dodge roll is ludicrous. But as i said probably what the rules intended.

It is as if the dodger did not dodge at all, they in some way distracted the firer so that they kind of missed everyone altogether. So thematically it is less of a "duck" and more of a "look doggy a big bone over there!"

CONCLUSION - I intend to play as per Jeremy's interpretation because it is simple (as am I )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadu
Brazil
São Gonçalo
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
badge
Spectreman fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
12) Equiping: though the rules are pretty clear on what a hero can equip and what can be carried in the pack, I was unsure about the how/when/cost of swapping in and out equipment. I think it's a cost of 2 MP, right? Does this mean that a hero could, for example, Battle, making a melee strike with the first attack, burn 2 fatigue to whip out a bow, and use the second attack to strike at range?

Yes, it is possible and ok. This is reequip movement option. Makes sense only in situations like that (Battle) because you can reequip for free in first step of that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Bronkowski
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mb
scaramanga wrote:

8) Any Glyph goes back to town. Just watch that all the players don't head out at the same time - otherwise well... they've left the dungeon and that part of the campaign is over! The players can exit via the glyph on the very first turn since technically they didn't enter by the glyph they just start there.

confi wrote:

Once the heroes have left a dungeon -- whether it be a result of fleeing, a total party kill, or they completed all 3 floors -- they may never reenter it. They can still travel to the dungeon space on the world map, mind you, but they cannot actually enter the dungeon to explore it a second time.

Is thath correct? When all heroes are killed or go to town the dungon automatically ends? I don't remember anything that would sugest that in the rules. I also remember that under fleeing a dungon it states that heroes have to all go to town and say that they are fleeing a dungeon to actually flee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I vaguely remember a ruling that said if they are all in town, it is automatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbronkowski wrote:
scaramanga wrote:

confi wrote:

Is thath correct? When all heroes are killed or go to town the dungon automatically ends? I don't remember anything that would sugest that in the rules. I also remember that under fleeing a dungon it states that heroes have to all go to town and say that they are fleeing a dungeon to actually flee.

I'm curious to see the answer to this. I had no idea a TPK meant the dungeon was over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:

Yes, that would be entirely legal.

Note also that you get a free re-equip at the start of each turn (before you declare your action).

Additionally, any time a hero receives an item (e.g. drawn from a chest, bought from a shop, given by another hero), that hero can immediately equip the new item, moving any equipped items to his backpack (or dropping them) as necessary to make space, but cannot equip other items from his pack for free at the same time.

andywatkins1963 wrote:
Does it make sense? NO! Someone fires what is effectively a flamethrower at you, and you have dodge, you manage to dodge, duck etc and avoid the worst of the flame. Firstly i would have said realistically a dodge type move just would not work for an area effect weapon. But let's say it does and you manage to avoid the worst of the flaim. How does that help the guy stood behind you without dodge? The fact that you ducked is not going to help him at all, so the heroes without dodge benefitting from a dodge roll is ludicrous. But as i said probably what the rules intended.

Oh, that's nothing. If you really want to mess with your head, try this:

Hero A moves into the middle of a group of monsters and places a dodge order. Hero B targets a blast attack on hero A. The blast attack rolls an X. Hero A uses his dodge order to force hero B to reroll the X, turning the miss into a hit.

If hero A is sitting to the left of hero B, then he gets to choose which dice to reroll even if the overlord also dodges.

For best effects, hero A should also quaff an invisibility potion, so that the stealth die is used, giving a high probability of causing the attack to miss hero A while still allowing him to reroll some of the dice to increase damage against the monsters caught in the blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Bronkowski
Poland
Krakow
Malopolska
flag msg tools
mb
DavidT wrote:
mbronkowski wrote:
scaramanga wrote:

confi wrote:

I'm curious to see the answer to this. I had no idea a TPK meant the dungeon was over...

I went over Vanilla Descent and RtL instructions and found nothing that would indicate a total party kill ends the dungeon. Of course ther is a total party kill rule for the encounters
RtL instruction p.15 wrote:
Total Party Kill
If all heroes are killed during an encounter, the encounter ends
and the hero party marker is moved to Tamalir on the Terrinoth
map board. The party’s game week action is over, and the
overlord has scored a resounding blow!

with makes perfect sense because there are no glyphs of transport during encounters. There is also a rule for fleeing a dungon
RtL instruction p.18 wrote:

If the heroes decide that things are too grim for them
to continue on inside a dungeon, they can decide to
leave a dungeon and not come back. To do this,
they must simply all return to Tamalir at the same
time (via glyphs of transport – see “Using
Buildings” on page 21) and announce that
they’re fleeing the dungeon

Since they have to announce it it's not automatic, right? So I'm preaty sure now that to end the dungeon heroes must all go to town and announce that they’re fleeing the dungeon. And the only other outcomes of the dungeons is heroes going through the final portal, or beeing ejected after overlords deck is shuffled 2 times on one dungeon level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbronkowski wrote:
scaramanga wrote:

confi wrote:

Sorry -- I did not mean to imply it was automatic. Yes, the party has to announce their fleeing; when the entire party is killed in a dungeon, they all end up in the temple and still have the option of returning via the glyphs. I simply meant to demonstrate that it does not matter why the heroes abandoned the dungeon -- they cannot return. oops. blush

Most heroes would probably want to get the bajeebus out of there though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help, people! I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's certainly a fiddly game, isn't it? Played a little bit last night, forgetting completely the heroes were in a dungeon under the cover of Eternal Night and failing to notice that the Axe is a 2-handed weapon.

Anyway, shook out a few more questions--hope I'm not pushing my luck! (And hopefully it's all helpful to others as well...)

13) A simple one: coin piles--they give 100gp to each player, right? So in a RtL campaign, that's 400gp per coin pickup. Are coins picked up simply by moving into their space?

14) Frost shatters a weapon on an attack (if a blank is rolled). Does the weapon shatter before or after the attack--that is, does the hero still get to apply damage for the hit before losing the weapon? I assume this includes runes as well.

15) Leadership: I just want to make sure I'm using this right. It gives 3 half-actions, 1 of which must be a ready which can be given to an ally. You can either ready yourself or an ally--not both. No double actions--so basically, it's an advance followed by a ready.

Again, thanks for the help!
-M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hayek
msg tools
mbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
Hola!

I think you have the answer you need here, but I thought it prudent to mention that the rules state that the leader of the monsters in the encounter, when it's killed, the reinforcements can't enter. So, if the OL paid for the reinforcements, but the hero's have already killed the leader, then the reinforcements can't enter. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Zamborsky
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am pretty sure for question 5 that the burns do not go away until you roll the die. You could have burns for a very long time. Its all on the luck of the die!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.