Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am planning to order a playmat for Check your 6 for use with 1/300 miniatures with original bases (sized 1.5").

What is the best hex size? 1.5"? 2"? 3"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends... Check Your 6 is WW2, so smaller than modern - but a Lancaster is still about 4" wingspan, a Heinkel 111 about 2". Fighters are around 1.5", so either 1.5 or 2" would seem appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it is possible for two or more aircraft to end movement on the same hex. How do you handle this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't, basically. It's just a limitation of minis. You can squeeze them both on, temporarily substitute counters, whatever you like. But it will always be a problem. It's one good reason to use counters instead of minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with heroscape terrain as it works for many game, and is cheap enough also. Believe sets new from toysrus are still $25, so you could get 2 sets, for the price of a mat and have another game to add to collection. This terrain works great for other games also. Terrain hex are just over 1.5" or over 4 cm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
We've been using a Geo-Hex sea mat with two inch hexes, and it works great. The planes we're using are 1/300 Scotia, with the "official" CY6 flight stands. We haven't used any bombers yet, but the fighters we've been using set nicely inside the hexes, with no crowding whatsoever when fighters are in adjacent hexes.
You could probably get away with using 1.5 inch hexes, but I think it'd be more crowded and not work quite as well.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Mello
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm getting ready to use Check 6, switching from another set I've been using. I'm planning on using 3" hexes, so I can fit two 1.5" flight stands per hex if needed. Minis are sooooo much nicer looking than chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I've gone for 1/600 scale. The quality of minis available now is superb, and the variety is growing ever more every month. You can even get decals to give them the proper distinctive markings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.