Popular Tags: [View All]
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phrase: Grandma-friendly games

Definition: Games my boyfriend's grandma would be able to pick up quickly and be able to play.

Finding games which are grandma friendly is a difficult thing to do. Before visiting, my boyfriend and I would stand at our boardgame collection and stare at them, trying to find a boardgame which is grandma friendly, but still interesting for the rest of us to play. One of the games we attempted to play with his grandma is No Thanks!

Contents

d10-1 1 set of rules
d10-2 33 cards numbered 3 to 35
d10-3 55 playing chips

Recommended Players

This game is recommended with 3-5 players. I don't get to play it as often, because it is usually just me and my boyfriend, but this review is going to be based on a 4 player play.

Setup

Once the 33 cards are shuffled, you will count out 24 cards, and place them in a pile. The remaining 9 cards will be placed out of the game. No one is to look at the cards.

Each player will receive 11 chips. These chips are to be kept in your hands, so no one is able to tell how many chips you have. In a 3 or 4 player game, there will be chips remaining, they will be placed back in the box.

How to Play

Each player in the game is going to have 2 options.

- Take the card and put it in front of him, faceup
- or, decline it and put one chip next to the card.

On each card is going to be a number. The point of the game is to get the fewest amounts of points possible. There are 2 ways of doing this. You have the choice of passing the card by placing a chip on it, and saying "No Thanks!", or you can try to make series. How the game is going to be scored at the end of the game, is you are going to make a series of all of your cards. If you are able to make a series, you will take the lowest number in the series as your point count.

Example: You have cards 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Since you have a series, you will only take 9 points. If you have 9, 10, 12, and 13, you don not have 1 series, you have 2, so your points will be 9 + 12.

If a card is going to be passed, and a chip will be need to be placed on it. When a card is passed to you, which you are wanting to keep, you can take the card, and all the chips on it. If you were to have no chips left in your hand, you will have to take the card.

How to Win

At the end of the game, the player with the fewest amount of points is deemed the winner

The Good vs The Bad

If you have no more chips, it forces you to pick up a card
Always keeps you guessing if there is a number that will fit between your two cards, or if it has been taken out
Very quick, in between game
yuk Does not require to much brain thinking
yuk Cards are not hidden from oters, so able to know what others are collecting

Survey Says

I do enjoy playing No Thanks! It is a game I can see picking up every once in a while, and giving it a go. I'm going to give this game .

I don't find myself playing this game as often as other people do. And it's not only because I mainly play two player games. After a while, I can see this game getting kind of tedious, as you are just trying to gather up the least amount of points. I see myself playing this game more when we are trying to decide who gets to pick the next boardgame. Either the winner (or the loser in our case) gets to choose the next game.

I can see how in certain game groups it would be a great addition. Very quick to get through, and can turn kind of cuthroat after a while. Once players start to realize what cards someone is trying to get, they may start to pick it up, to cost the other player more points. What is 15 points, when someone has the number 14, and 16.

What would probably make this game is a little more interesting, is hiding the cards which are in your hands. Tat way, others would need to remember your cards, as well as focus on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Are you playing that each chip left in your posession at the end of the game takes away one point from your score?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are playing that rule as well, which makes it a little more challenging, especially if one person collects most of the chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.