Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Voltz
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just played my first few games online of Lost Cities, and I misunderstood the rules in an interesting way. I thought the rules said that if an expedition is not built by a player, then BOTH players score that expedition zero. I have since realized that this isn't the case, but I think I like this version better, and here's why...

It allows you to try to block your opponents high scoring expedition by leaving it unbuilt, but you have to make the decision early (and it's hard to tell early on which expedition of your opponent's will be high scoring), thereby rewarding players who can hold off on building to not tip their hand. Thus it requires the player to be even more delicate with the timing of the game, and try to rush a high scoring expedition at the end of the round! I think it adds a bit of excitement to the game and some interesting strategy...

Can someone try playing this way and let me know what you think? blush

Or maybe this is already a variant that everyone's already thought of and I'm out of the Knizia-loop. Which would be some sort of Jordan curve or an n-dimensional torus or whatever...damn mathematicians!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, I could play every card to the board, instead of starting expeditions and we'd tie at 0 since my opponent would be unable to score any points. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Voltz
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do that I guess...it would be like a soccer game! zero-zero tie! But if you want to win instead of tie, it gets more interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I hate to say this, but this variant is silly and not worth playing. It is susceptible to a degenerate strategy where either both players just discard, or just one discards because you can always put cards you do not want on the central playing area. So it is never a problem for at least one player to completely block the other. Agreeing what constitutes a 'valid' block and what not is a fruitless discussion.

Under the original rules, discarding in many cases helps the opponent unless you're very careful about it. But at times you have no choice. That is what makes the game tense. (And, regrettably, once you've figured it out, boring, as there is nothing else to this game and it becomes a matter of luck of the draw between players of more or less equal skill.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Voltz
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. And making a rule that the first card played may not be discarded doesn't really help... The problem is, when I posted this after a couple of plays, I didn't know you could discard!!! whistle That's two rules I messed up!

So the variant was under the assumption that there is no discarding, and with discarding, it's broken. Sorry to waste your time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.