Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give me an idea of the number of pages that will need to be printed?

Number of pages in Rule book?
Number of pages for counter?
Number of Pages for Cards?
Number of pages of Maps?
Any other pages?

I would like to see what this is going to cost to print.

--> Sam D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It will depend on the quality that you want to print your game out at. There will be three printing options (if I remember correctly):

Full Color
Monochrome (greyscale)
Black and White

The Full Color will obviously be the best, full resolution, full color graphics. Monochrome is basically the same, but printed out using only black ink. The Black and White version will be best suited for laser printing, reducing quality, but also drastically reducing printing costs.

Alongside the normal rulebook will be the Easy Print version - no pictures, no fancy artwork, just what you need, all in black and white. This version will be the one that includes the black and white game pieces.

In total, the book is 211 pages.

Book 1, which contains the core rules, is 57 pages.
Book 2, Campaign, which contains the campaign rules, Dungeon Lord rules, etc, is 7 pages.
Book 3, Armory, which has all item descriptions, is 12 pages. Printed out you really only need about 3 pages of this, as most of it is just flavor text.
Book 4, Bestiary, is also mostly flavor text.
Book 5, Random Rules, is 11 pages. These are rules for playing without a Dungeon Lord.
Book 6, Deathblow Arena, is 15 pages. These are rules for players to play adversarial matches against each other, again without need of a Dungeon Lord.
Book 7, Artifacts, is 24 pages of over 200 artifacts.
Book 8, Role Playing, is 16, and contains the role playing rules.
Book 9, Game Content, is all the character sheets, furniture, and boards. The breakdown:
2 Character Sheets
1 page of furniture
5 pages of doors
1 page for card breakdown
18 pages of cards
20 pages of Dungeon Boards (the floor tiles, 1 tile per page)

The Cheat Sheet document (still being put together, so a page count is unavailable), gives you all the rules and/or charts you'll have to reference during a game. This along with the Easy Print rules gives you a cost-light version of the game with quick referencing (so you don't have to flip through the entire rulebook during play).

The Easy Print document will have substantially less pages to print. A lot of the pages in the Armory and Bestiary are just fluff (flavor text) and are removed in the Easy Print document. I will post here when it's put together.

So, it's kind of hard to say at the moment exactly how many pages will need to be printed, and thus what the cost will be. The basics should be pretty inexpensive (I'm guessing at about ~100 pages of just black and white text from the Easy Print version), 26 full-color pages, 18 pages for cards (2 colors per card; brown and black).

Also, the game is still changing and more cards and such may be added, so keep that in mind. The next few months should reveal more about how many pages exactly there will be in all of the documents.

The bottom line when producing this game was to give the customer total control over the cost; you can reproduce it by hand pretty easily with some graph paper, print the entire thing out cheaply with a black and White laser printer, or go full out with color prints of everything - either way, the gameplay stays the same. For quick testing sessions, I use a Crystal Caste battle mat with wet-erase markers that cost about $25; smaller mats of the same make are even cheaper.

Let me know if you have any other questions - I'm happy to answer them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.