Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
LOOM
Star Wars Battlefront® II
Star Wars Republic Commando®
Star Wars Starfighter
The Dig®
Thrillville®: Off the Rails

...of that set, 'Republic Commando' is a must buy.

Also on July 7, a new property:
Quote:
Telltale will premiere the Tales of Monkey Island game series, delivering a completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes on PC and WiiWare

And on July 15th:
Quote:
The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990

...there have been some teasers for this one around. They got the full voice cast of Monkey Island 3 on it (the first one in the series that HAD a voice cast), and it's literally a scene-by-scene update of the old game - nothing changed but the graphics and voice overs. Literally. You can push a button, and it switches seamlessly between the original and the updated version at the scene you are on.

Seriously, this is perhaps THE BEST NEWS I HAVE EVER HEARD related to PC gaming. LucasArts was the publisher for PC games back in their heyday, and it's so exciting to see many of these titles moving over to Steam to be playable on today's high-end systems.

Obviously, I hope they keep this up - I would LOVE a chance to play through the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series again. *drools*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best comment I'd seen on a forum discussing this:

Quote:
Looks like ol' Georgie has finally tripped over that huge pile of money at his feet

Yes, for those of us who grew up on old school PC gaming, this is going to drain our next paycheck quite a bit more than is healthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
I would LOVE a chance to play through the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series again. *drools*

I'm with you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Seriously, this is perhaps THE BEST NEWS I HAVE EVER HEARD related to PC gaming. LucasArts was the publisher for PC games back in their heyday, and it's so exciting to see many of these titles moving over to Steam to be playable on today's high-end systems.

I await Grim Fandango, the greatest game ever made. Of course I have it, but still, everyone should have the opportunity to experience it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Linky. w00t!

Slow start so far, on July 7:

Quote:
Armed and Dangerous
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
LOOM
Star Wars Battlefront® II
Star Wars Republic Commando®
Star Wars Starfighter
The Dig®
Thrillville®: Off the Rails

...of that set, 'Republic Commando' is a must buy.

Also on July 7, a new property:
Quote:
Telltale will premiere the Tales of Monkey Island game series, delivering a completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes on PC and WiiWare

And on July 15th:
Quote:
The Monkey Island celebration continues on July 15 when LucasArts publishes The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, a completely re-imagined version of the first game in the series that adds updated high definition graphics, a re-mastered musical score, and full voiceover to the classic adventure game originally launched in 1990

...there have been some teasers for this one around. They got the full voice cast of Monkey Island 3 on it (the first one in the series that HAD a voice cast), and it's literally a scene-by-scene update of the old game - nothing changed but the graphics and voice overs. Literally. You can push a button, and it switches seamlessly between the original and the updated version at the scene you are on.

Obviously, I hope they keep this up - I would LOVE a chance to play through the X-Wing and TIE Fighter series again. *drools*

You sir, bring words that the heavens themselves descend. A thumb for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:

Oh man.... that's the second-best video game news I've ever heard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Oh man.... that's the second-best video game news I've ever heard.

Potentially even betterer part:

Is there a god? I've been wondering lately, but with THIS announcement....WOW.

Quote:
While these ten titles are straight ports - so no Steam Achievements, and no fancy new graphics and sound a la Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition - LucasArts is considering enhanced versions of other titles, though "a lot of it will ultimately depend on the commercial success of Monkey Island Special Edition," we're told. "We have the plans in our back pocket and if things go extremely well, we'll roll out those plans and put them into action...

YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Outlaws?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember Monkey Island when it first came out on the Amiga, much before the PC, and the classic Huelsbeck music.

Man, those were the times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
I remember Monkey Island when it first came out on the Amiga, much before the PC, and the classic Huelsbeck music.

Well, the first of the titles is now out, the debut of the new 'episodic' Monkey Island games. (Although I confess a small amount of surprise - this is the first 'episodic' game from Telltale that you CAN'T just buy specific episodes...seems this one is 'all or nothing'. Which is fine, really, just...different for them.)

ANYWAYS, bulk of the games coming to Steam drop tomorrow, then, and then a week from tomorrow the 'Special Edition' of the first Monkey Island game which I'm looking forward to GREATLY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom L
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
READ A BOOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:

It came out for DOS in 1990, and Amiga in 1991. You are mistaken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome... there's some on that list that I never got around to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rocketkiwi wrote:
MGBM wrote:

It came out for DOS in 1990, and Amiga in 1991. You are mistaken!

Actually it's the other way around. Monkey Island was originally designed for the Amiga. It was optimized for VGA cards later in 1991.

EDIT: Actually you're correct. Damn my memories!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At $30 a crack, that's pretty pricey.
I may still have my old copy of Loom somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
At $30 a crack, that's pretty pricey.
I may still have my old copy of Loom somewhere...

No, that's just for the 'full season' of the new Monkey Island games (5 episodes/games for that price).

They haven't posted pricing on the 'back catalog' titles, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it must be getting there.

LucasArts just tweeted this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the games are now available! Many at $5, which seems quite a fair price.

Games are not only updated to run on modern systems, but also have options for smoothing the displayed image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.