Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: sinophobia [+] [View All]
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If my memory of geography serves, Shangri-La is somewhere in China. Maybe Tibet, but then, that's part of China now, thanks to the fact that the government of China is primarily composed of power-mad assholes. And when you look at the bridges available between the various mountain peaks in Shangri-La, you can see the superior Chinese construction. Because every time someone uses one of these bridges, they break. That's an even worse track record than the Army Corps of Engineers has with levees in New Orleans.

The neat thing about tonight's game (appropriately titled 'The Bridges of Shangri-La') is that it plays off this shoddy Chinese construction to create a very interesting and fun game. It's not often that art imitates life so well. Not only do we get to learn more about how pathetic a job the Chinese people did when they assembled all the bridges (apparently using wrapping paper and Elmer's glue), but we get to learn a historical lesson about ancient Kung-Fu masters.

Each player starts off with a handful of Kung-Fu masters, each with different specialized abilities. These abilities have absolutely no effect on the game whatsoever (which means that the guy who just looks at the stars all night is exactly equal to the dragon-taming bad-ass), but it does allow us to tell them apart. The dragontamer has a dragon on his counter, the rainmaker has a rain cloud, and the romantic idealist who spends all night looking at constellations has a little silk hankie (not really - it's stars). If there were more dragontamers and fewer stargazing pansies, maybe they could have beat up the Chinese invaders before the Dalai Lama had to go on permanent sabbatical.

Every turn, you can add a master in a village where you have one already, or you can train some students where you have masters, or you can send the students packing to another village. And because all of these bridges are essentially a long string of shoelaces tied together by some Chinese worker making 2 dollars a week and sleeping under his desk between his 16-hour shifts, every time someone uses one, it breaks. The students get across, and then BAM, the bridge is destroyed. Planned obsolesence keeps that impoverished Chinese assembly-line worker employed! Lucky him. Just four more months, and he'll be able to buy a roll of toilet paper.

This bridge-breaking thing is important, because once a bridge is down, it's gone, and the villages are permanently separated. So you have to time that trip really well, because it's the only one you're going to make. If you travel to a stronger town and they beat up all your students, they have to climb down the mountain and take up a career in goat-herding. That, or they have to go work in a factory where they make just enough money to buy a Big Mac, as long as they don't buy anything else all year.

This is a really clever, really tricky game. You have to time your moves carefully - make a new master when you shouldn't, and he might get kicked off the mountain before he gets a chance to train anyone. But add some students at the right time, and you might be able to ward off invading students (but not Chinese soldiers - they don't care how much Kung Fu you know. They have guns). Travel at the right time, and you could strand your opponent in a weak position. Travel at the wrong time, and you might as well just leave your students standing in the middle of the bridge when it breaks.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard a lot more about Bridges of Shangri-La before now. It seems like the kind of game that would get Reiner drones all frothy. Maybe since it's not from Reiner, it dropped under the radar, or maybe it just didn't make a big enough appearance early on. Whatever the case, this is a remarkably fun game. I really enjoyed it, and would definitely play it again.

What I would not do, however, is travel around Shangri-La without a parachute. Those Chinese-made bridges are seriously unstable.

Summary

Pros:
A few rules make a whole lot of game
Timing is critical - lots of tough decisions
Good mix of strategy and tactical positioning

Cons:
Pictures on the counters are a little bland
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Colovini doesn't get a lot of love around here. I suspect that's because many of his games don't come with clues on how to play well. This one is ranked 371, that's pretty respectable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's more because they are soooo mechanically dry. He certainly slaps a theme on them, sometimes very well, but even so, the dryness shines through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I consider Bridges of Shangri-La one of the best 3-player games around (rating 8.5). It misses out on a coveted 9.0 or 9.5 rating simply because the decisions, while fascinatingly subtle, aren't as deep as I'd like. It also plays fairly well with 4 players, but 3 players is so much better I just don't bother with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with JC, I thinks its a great game and a fabulous filler with some depth.

Seeing how Shangri-La is a fictional place in a novel, you may as well slag off Dwarven Bridge Architecture in Moria. I'm not sure why Chinese engineering gets the rough end of your judgement (apart from the tower block that fell over not so long ago), but the Great Wall has been around long enough hasn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Big Bad Lex wrote:
I'm with JC, I thinks its a great game and a fabulous filler with some depth.

I wouldn't go so far as filler. At a good 75-90 minutes with attentive players it seems a little long for filler class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
This game was insanely expensive when it first came out and the fact that it is a luckless abstract relegates it to a position well out of the upper levels which are nowadays mostly populated with snowball engines. It is one of Colovini's better titles, though.

A question for JC: you like the game very much as a 3-player title. The few times I played in that setup, I was mercilessly squeezed out of villages because the other players (inadvertedly) set their sights on me together. As far as I can tell, if that happens, you have no defenses whatsoever. How do you prevent this situation in your games, and if it happens, what do you do about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
This game was insanely expensive when it first came out and the fact that it is a luckless abstract relegates it to a position well out of the upper levels which are nowadays mostly populated with snowball engines. It is one of Colovini's better titles, though.

Its been on special in a bunch of places recently for $10-12 which should make it much more available. But who ever gets around to playing their cheap 'deals' when there are so many bright and shiny $60 games to play!

cymric wrote:
A question for JC: you like the game very much as a 3-player title. The few times I played in that setup, I was mercilessly squeezed out of villages because the other players (inadvertedly) set their sights on me together. As far as I can tell, if that happens, you have no defenses whatsoever. How do you prevent this situation in your games, and if it happens, what do you do about it?

I'm no clearclaw - and I've only played once but am dying to play more - but I think that if the other two people are relentlessly ganging up on you, they are missing opportunities. As the threat of a pilgramage grows, a potential future weakness of that city grows. It seems you can either try and take advantage of the potential pilgramage itself by joining it, scuttling it by mistiming and/or misdirecting it, or you can make the pilgramage unattractive to one of the other players by threatening the future weakness. I look forward to JC's post on the subtlety of managing incentives and creation of emergent alliances (assuming it hasn't been posted while I've been typing). Of course, it is all for naught if you aren't playing people that appreciate the dynamics of the game. I'm guessing that can make the game a bit fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
cymric wrote:

The trite answer is to go where they are not, and to go where their tile shortages forbid them from competing. You should be able to build a strong if diffuse base in this way fairly quickly and in preparation for the late mid-game and end-game in which you can leverage your carefully hoarded tile-strengths against them. The key here is that that sort of focused assault also requires concentrated tile-exhaustion on their part(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always loved this game. From the beginning I was caught with the great little bridges. I saw the game being played from across the room and thought, "Wow, what a neat looking game." When I finally got to play it I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I immediately felt it was one of the better games I had ever played.

Several years later, I still think the same thing. I never understood why it didn't get the love of other games. Probably because it can be a brain-burner and most prefer a lighter game. This one doesn't elicit laughter and banter. Rather it is played rather silently with people reminding each other to "watch out for so-and-so coming in this direction," etc.

But I do love the game and it is one of the few in my collection I would not sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Seeing how Shangri-La is a fictional place in a novel, you may as well slag off Dwarven Bridge Architecture in Moria.

By Durin's Beard, don't knock Dwarven building skills! Baruk Khazad, Khazad ai-Menu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Only at the Geek can you see people who get offended when you mock crappy Chinese manufacturing (seriously? You've never been to Wal-Mart?), but who don't even slow down to giggle at the guy who types in dwarf.

Well, only at the Geek and about seven thousand other nerd sites, but the point is still valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
Only at the Geek can you see people who get offended when you mock crappy Chinese manufacturing (seriously? You've never been to Wal-Mart?), but who don't even slow down to giggle at the guy who types in dwarf.

Well, only at the Geek and about seven thousand other nerd sites, but the point is still valid.

Maybe you should move on to one of the other websites. Here on BGG we like knowledgeable, thoughtful writing, not just spouted opinions that need to be corrected by responses (that get more thumbs than your posts, by the way!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingus wrote:
Maybe you should move on to one of the other websites. Here on BGG we like knowledgeable, thoughtful writing, not just spouted opinions that need to be corrected by responses (that get more thumbs than your posts, by the way!).
Ma'am, I'm not sure what element of the BGG community you think you're speaking for but you certainly don't speak for me. Please don't say "we're offended" when what you mean is "I'm offended."

I find Matt's reviews to be whip-smart, informative, and entertaining. That takes real skill as a writer. His reviews are far more compelling to read than most of the reviews around here, and frequently more informative precisely because he's not afraid to be harshly critical. It is possible to be crassly opinionated, knowledgeable, and thoughtful all at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Elstree wrote:
It is possible to be crassly opinionated, knowledgeable, and thoughtful all at the same time.

Please post links to examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa !! surprise

Keep up the good work, folks. That's what I like about BGG most: useless, time-consuming, witty, going-to-nowhere, passionate arguments.

In the end this is really what boardgaming is about. BGG could be about puzzles (or low-fat diets) that it wouldn't matter, as long as people remain the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
unkle
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Elstree wrote:
It is possible to be crassly opinionated, knowledgeable, and thoughtful all at the same time.

I guess Matt's review would not satisfy your need, but have you seen anything like the Daily Show recently ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Elstree wrote:

Oh snap! That's hilarious!

I gave you a thumb for it.

EDIT: Just to clarify - this isn't a sarcasm post. I really did laugh when I read this comment. Most times when people get mad at me, they just shove another rod in their asses and try to sound superior and make me feel bad about myself. This was clever, sharp and witty, and whether it was meant to be mean or not, I absolutely loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a Pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingus wrote:

Maybe you should follow your own advice! I thought people were joking when you became Mr Drake's own private stalker but if you are so worked up about one review to go back and comment in ALL the reviews he has ever done...well for the sake of your own blood pressure maybe you need to move along. This compulsion of yours is unhealthy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dingus wrote:
VixenTorGames wrote:

I'm still looking in this thread for a corrected response that got more thumbs than his post.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Admin note:

As a general reminder, users are always expected to express themselves in a courteous and respectful way. BGG policy is to issue a warning on a first offense and to follow future offenses with temporary posting suspensions of increasing length. Rather than responding to content that you find offensive, please consider flagging any offending posts as violations by using the icon. This serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Finally, in extreme circumstances you can hide all content posted by a user from your view by using the Hide User's Posts option under the drop down menu next to the geekmail icon of the username block. Please remember that making any public mention of who is on your Hide List is considered a zero tolerance offense.

Thanks!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.