Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the Tribond puzzle, but I've never liked the implementation of the game. Rolling and moving seems so...banal these days. But when you put Tribond in a "party game" format I'll give it a look. Unfortunately, the experience is less than the sum of the parts. You'd do just as well to throw out everything but the Tribond cards. Three for All is an excuse to repurpose the Tribond name in another game.

Sort everyone out into two teams. One person takes a card and gives clues to get his teammates to say the three links on the cards. Clue-giving rules prevail: you can't say the words on the cards, or the Bond that joins them. The team has sixty seconds to finish their round.

The rules say that either team may guess at the "link" portion, which seems odd, for reasons that will be evident in a moment. After all three links are guessed, now the guessers must come up with the correct Bond. Any player who thinks he has the answer slaps the button on the "Buzzler" (the countdown timer to you and me). If he's right, he scores from 1-8 points for his team, according to a secret die roll before the rond. The scoring team takes that many marbles and fills their tray.

If the opposing team steals the round, they score that many points and take control of the next round. If they were wrong, they lose that many marbles, and the guessing team may guess, making a sixteen point swing a possibility.

The first team to fill their tray with 28 marbles wins the game. This could take anywhere from four rounds to 28, because of the roll of the die.

So what you end up having is something that looks like two games in one, but is really just one game with a preamble thrown on to make the game longer, but not any more fun. I would have preferred a new way to score points with the Tribonds; like points for however much time you have left, or for using fewer than three clues. But alas, this is not what the folks at Patch had in mind.

The presentation is nice, if a bit over the top. The marbles look neat and the visual effect of filling your tray looks clever, even if you could just peg holes on a track or write down your score. It ends up being a way to add price to the game without adding value. The same goes for the Buzzler and the die that it holds.

If you like Tribond, give this a pass. You can find more play for your gaming dollar elsewhere. If you like clue giving games, look elsewhere, because the same is true for that aspect too. I cannot think of a single reason to own this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.