Subject: Please answer a question that has always puzzled me. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one would seem to mean that you would see the light only from the source, in theis case the headlights, there would be no illumination.

In the second instance you would see the light as normal because you are still traveling slower than the light is getting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
One last question. This time you're traveling down I-94, but in a 1976 AMC Pacer.

Like this:

And this time, you're going 1,079,252,849 kph. That is, slightly over the speed of light.

And you turn on your headlights.

What happens?

The light is behind you so you are still in darkness.

EDIT: 1976 Pacer, not 1979. Vive la difference!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
In a similar vein: What happens if you are on a planet where the temperature is at absolute zero, and there's a wind chill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, only the yellow car can actually achieve that speed...

As for what happens? First this...

Then this...

Then maybe this...

Edit: Oh!!! One more!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I hypothesize that the entire universe would collapse into a quantum singularity and then disappear in a puff of logic.

Then I would drive off in my 1963 Studebaker Avanti.

EDIT: Because only one photo of an Avanti is not cool enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am thinking way back to when I took physics in college here, so correct me if I'm wrong. It could be argued that the first situation would be impossible, because only objects with zero mass, such as photons, can actually travel at the speed of light. So let's say you were going really close to the speed of light. The funny thing about light is that all observers always see light as traveling at the same speed no matter what they are doing, so you would still see the light doing what it normally does. If there were a car right in front of you going at the same speed you are, you would see the light bounce off of it and come back to your eye, just as if you were both doing 65 on the interstate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
In a similar vein: What happens if you are on a planet where the temperature is at absolute zero, and there's a wind chill?

Your limbs are at the same temperature with or without a wind chill but turn black and fall off quicker with a wind chill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to red shift, you wouldn't know when you were on the wrong side of the road, about to have a head on collision. And that's why physics is rad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without reading any other answers...

two things happen.

One As you start down I-90, you're instantly going across the atlantic ocean in the blink of an eye.

Next you turn the lights on, and nothing happens. the lights are on, but since you are travelling AT light speed, the light is going with you, so they would be on, but not illuminating anything. Also, since you see things via light reflecting in your eye. By the time you saw something, you would have passed it. So you're driving down and you see a Deer in the road, you say "Oh a Deer!" but by the time you say "O.." actually by the time your mind thinks "O..." there is a dear head smashed through your front window, and it's bloody carcas is staring at you, and you're next question will be "what does a Deer's ass look like sticking out of a '71 Fiat going lightspeed?"

Fat is the answer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

I don't think there could be any wind. Wind is made up of various gaseous particles. Oxygen, Carbon dioxide, Nitrogen etc. etc. At absolute 0, all those gases would freeze.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no physic, but if I recall correctly, speed of light is a constant. This means that in any system, c has always the same value. If you're sitting in a car travelling at relativistic speed, the beams projected from the lamplights still travel at c.

Don't ask me to explain it further. E=mc2 seems all nice and clear, unless you try to consider that c is a constant, no matter what the reference system.

Kudos for the smurf-colored Fiat 850. thumbsup

Edits: grammar. Too early in the morning to talk physics in a foreign language...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that the same as the question: what happens when you fire a machine gun in a plane whose speed is faster than the bullet? (this is possible)

I think the bullets will fly backwards into the gun and cause a massive explosion and people and ducks who happen to be in the air will die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jttm wrote:
Is that the same as the question: what happens when you fire a machine gun in a plane whose speed is faster than the bullet? (this is possible)

I think the bullets will fly backwards into the gun and cause a massive explosion and people and ducks who happen to be in the air will die.

The bullets are already going as fast as the plane. When you fire them, they travel at speed equal to speed of plane + muzzle velocity. So no backward flying bullets.

If I understand the question, that is.

Edit: Gah! Crossposted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) Speed of light is constant in all possible reference frames.

b) Things shrink as they approach the speed of light.

c) Time passes "more slowly" from the reference frame of the thing moving near the speed of light.

All three of these are really ways of saying the same thing.

From moving reference frame, a stationary meterstick will measure more than one meter in length. From a moving reference frame, one second of time counted on a stationary clock will appear to be less than one second in duration. The net result of this is that the apparent speed of light for the moving and stationary observers is always the same, but it is impossible for moving and stationary observers to agree on the length of a meter or the duration of a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarification:

By "shrink" of course I mean in the dimension corresponding to the direction of motion. That's the direction that matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Drew1365 wrote:

However, I would presume that if the speed of the plane is X and the speed of the bullet is Y, a bullet fired from a gun in that plane precisely in the direction that the plane is traveling would exit the gun at a speed of X + Y. Is this not so?

That is so. The unfired bullet is already moving at speed X, along with the gun, the gunman, and everything else in the plane. The explosion caused by firing the gun adds Y to the equation so the bullet moves at a speed of X+Y relative to a stationary object on Earth.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Octavian wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

However, I would presume that if the speed of the plane is X and the speed of the bullet is Y, a bullet fired from a gun in that plane precisely in the direction that the plane is traveling would exit the gun at a speed of X + Y. Is this not so?

That is so. The unfired bullet is already moving at speed X, along with the gun, the gunman, and everything else in the plane. The explosion caused by firing the gun adds Y to the equation so the bullet moves at a speed of X+Y relative to a stationary object on Earth.

-MMM

Which is absolutely not what happens in the first three questions and the reason relativity has taken over from Newtonian physics.

Also to nitpick. The plane would decelerate slightly as the bullet is fired since every action has an opposite and equal reaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
Also to nitpick. The plane would decelerate slightly as the bullet is fired since every action has an opposite and equal reaction.

To nitpick a bit more, unless the machine gun was mounted to the plane, the body of the person firing the machine gun would react by absorbing the recoil energy and there would be no deceleration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well,

in WWII, some nations, such as Japan, designed some torpedoes that did not go as fast as the ships they were in. They were side launched and theoretically should not have been a problem, but they could actually fire a torpedo and hit themselves with a torpedo if they weren't careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:
Well,

in WWII, some nations, such as Japan, designed some torpedoes that did not go as fast as the ships they were in. They were side launched and theoretically should not have been a problem, but they could actually fire a torpedo and hit themselves with a torpedo if they weren't careful.
This is because, unlike bullets, torpedoes are self-propelled and can only travel as fast as their own propulsion will let them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You all know full well that it is quite possible to travel faster than light.

Wikipedia: Only zero-rest mass particles can travel at the speed of light. It is generally considered that it is impossible for any information or matter to travel faster than c, because it would travel backwards in time relative to some observers. However, there are many physical situations in which speeds greater than c are encountered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't matter considering the G forces would turn you into a pile of gelatenous goo and water.

Inertia is a bitch too when stopping, you'd need wipers on the inside of the car. Ironically enough I think the Pinto had that feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ready for this one?

You turn on the lights.

Nothing can exceed the speed of light. relative to universal zero.

And yet, the light must rush AWAY from you in the car at the speed of light.

The concept of no light coming out is old skool. That's a schoolyard rumor.

Were you able to get mass to accelerate to that point without turning it into energy, you in the car see the light as usual. But, to an observer, they cannot see that faster than light projection occur. Which means your car must be going slower.

As soon as the light is turned on, your car appears to compress at the speed of light.

Well, that's just stupid.

You see, it doesn't really matter if the lights are on or not. Your car is constantly reflecting light. Once it exceeds light speed, it becomes invisible.

So, the universe starts to pull a few tricks.

The light must escape your headlights at the speed of light. Your car cannot compress.

To prevent these impossibilities from happening, time changes. The faster you go, the slower time passes for you. This allows the speed of light to not be exceeded, as you create a time compression bubble around you.

This has been proven as a clock taken into space, having hurled at absurd speeds, comes back with slightly less time passed than a sister clock on earth.

But it all happens very smoothly. There is a light feathering effect about every object which is its "time well" and they all mesh together. When anything is about to break the speed limit, it does not slow down. Time does. Light passing through time wells of various speeds then get the compressions and shifts of red/blue doppler that everyone loves.

But again, light is constantly bouncing off of the car to be visible. To state that the lights do nothing would be to state that you have already achieved the speed of invisibility. Emitting and reflecting happen at the same speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am going to go the speed of light in a car, I'll be driving a Disco Volante.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
You all know full well that it is quite possible to travel faster than light.

Wikipedia: Only zero-rest mass particles can travel at the speed of light. It is generally considered that it is impossible for any information or matter to travel faster than c, because it would travel backwards in time relative to some observers. However, there are many physical situations in which speeds greater than c are encountered.

Continuing the quote:

Some of these situations involve entities that actually travel faster than c in a particular reference frame but none involves either matter, energy, or information traveling faster than the speed of light in vacuum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.