Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I hope that this is my last question. I've been playing scenario 2, and I keep wondering if I am doing something wrong.

The Russians receive a bunch of A, B, and C strength markers at setup, but no armies. They even receive some C strength markers as reinforcements on turn 2, but still no armies.

Is there a use for these before the arrival of the actual army counters? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Strength markers are added to the pool at the beginning of the turn before the reinforcement phase. The Russians get 5 armies on turn 2 and 5 armies on turn 3.
You must be doing something wrong. No new strength markers come in until turn 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
paradoxes wrote:
Okay, I hope that this is my last question.

Let's hope you're not speaking literally here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciates the replies (thanks for the laugh,Ashitaka), and I did have strength markers instead of armies on turn 2 reinforcements, but I still don't understand why all of those strength markers are part of set up, unless it's just a mapsheet space issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There is always some mix of army strength counters in each army-type's pool. That mix changes over time to reflect changes in the average strength of the Russian field armies. Those strengths are probabilistic, not assigned to specific units. Changing the probability of a given army being stronger or weaker is one thing the reinforcements can do.

This reflects additional units added to the Stavka force mix that are smaller than anything depicted on the map and meant to be assigned to field armies as strategic events required. Independent tank brigades or KV tank regiments, 122mm gun artillery regiments, anti-aircraft regiments, motorcycle regiments, SU regiments of self propelled guns, 120mm mortar regiments, reserve pioneer formations dedicated to constructing field fortifications, etc. Well, what is the game supposed to do when a bunch of that stuff appeared, historically? It ups the average strength of the armies drawn from the chit-pool by incrementally adding a few extra better ones.

In terms of the game mechanics, just add the reinforcing strength chits to the draw pool, you don't need to do anything else. No chits are drawn for the armies in play, until the rules require it e.g. they fight, or end a turn next to a German unit, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.