Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Kingsbury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi all. I played a 3er last night and we came upon a sitiation that we disagreed on...

If I am in decline can a later player diplomat me?

He said yes as "he hadn't attacked my active race"
I said no as " I had no active race for him not to attack"

The rules as i re-read them didnt seem to cover this.

cheers

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it, the diplomat only applies to the active race, not the player.

You can check the diplomat power in detail on this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Zav
Ukraine
Kharkov
Kharkov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/391216 :

Q: Is a race with the Diplomat power allowed to nominate a player, who has just declined or who has not yet had a turn (and therefore has no active race) as an ally?
A: Yes indeed, the only restriction in the choice of an ally is that you cannot choose a player if you just attacked his active race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
siberianhusky wrote:

Q: Is a race with the Diplomat power allowed to nominate a player, who has just declined or who has not yet had a turn (and therefore has no active race) as an ally?
A: Yes indeed, the only restriction in the choice of an ally is that you cannot choose a player if you just attacked his active race.

This is correct according to DoW.

If you do not have an active race, I cannot attack it.

___
Note: My wife hates this ruling, but we stick by it. It is one of a handful of 'huh? what!?' ruling that have come out of DoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play it "I choose to ally with your as of yet unchosen race" or, as I like to phrase it since I'm a baseball fan, "a race to be named later."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gardiner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick recap on the discussion:

*You do NOT use the Diplomat power on a "player", you use it on a race.
*You can only target an active race.
*You must not have attacked that active race this turn.

*Thus, races in decline can always attack you (so far, that would only be the Ghouls, since other races in decline have no actions).
*You can wipe out a player's race-in-decline and still force his active race to be your ally.

And a further note: You can neither attack, nor use powers on the Diplomat's race if you are his ally. His race-in-decline is fair game, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grantor wrote:

*Thus, races in decline can always attack you (so far, that would only be the Ghouls, since other races in decline have no actions).
*You can wipe out a player's race-in-decline and still force his active race to be your ally.

And a further note: You can neither attack, nor use powers on the Diplomat's race if you are his ally. His race-in-decline is fair game, however.

I think in a other thread (that official looking one) Said that IF a guy goes into decline you (can sorta) target that player!!? So that the race he picks on his next turn (does not have it yet when I use diplomat) cant attack me!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
Grantor wrote:

I think in a other thread (that official looking one) Said that IF a guy goes into decline you (can sorta) target that player!!? So that the race he picks on his next turn (does not have it yet when I use diplomat) cant attack me!?

That's correct. People love rules-lawyering this game, but the ruling is that Diplomat does target a "player," not a race. If that player hasn't chosen a race yet, the race he chooses will then be his active race and he can't attack you with it. This way you can use the diplomat power to keep someone from attacking you when they first come on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
siberianhusky wrote:

This is THE official ruling whether you like it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grantor wrote:

Your first point is wrong. The Diplomat ability is very explicit about this: At the end of your turn, you choose a player whose Active race you have not attacked that turn. That player may not attack you until you choose a new player to be your ally at the end of a subsequent turn, or until you go into Decline (except for the specifically carved-out Declined Ghouls -- they may attack you regardless -- because they have no sense of the proprieties of politics).

Otherwise, except for slight inaccuracy in wording in your second and third points, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Fredlund
Sweden
Veberöd
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how the Diplomatic rule is stated (text taken from the online rules at DoW)

Diplomat
At the end of your turn, you may select one
opponent whose Active race
you did not
attack this turn as your ally. You are now at
peace with him and he cannot attack your
active race until your next turn. You may
change allies each turn, or stay at peace with the same
opponent. Tokens In Decline are not impacted (so Ghouls In
Decline are immune to this power and may still attack you).

English is not my native language but I think "whose" in the marked sentence above clearly indicate that the opponent you can select as an ally must own an active race.
I don’t give much for the "official" ruling in the FAQ until I read it from a verified DoW source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
baluba42 wrote:
I don’t give much for the "official" ruling in the FAQ until I read it from a verified DoW source.

The "official" ruling was re-posted in the DOW Forums where their moderators stickied it, so that it had better visibility for those with questions.

baluba42 wrote:
This is how the Diplomatic rule is stated (text taken from the online rules at DoW)

Diplomat
At the end of your turn, you may select one
opponent whose Active race
you did not
attack this turn as your ally. You are now at
peace with him and he cannot attack your
active race until your next turn. You may
change allies each turn, or stay at peace with the same
opponent. Tokens In Decline are not impacted (so Ghouls In
Decline are immune to this power and may still attack you).

English is not my native language but I think "whose" in the marked sentence above clearly indicate that the opponent you can select as an ally must own an active race.

English is my native language. "whose" is simply a possessive.

The diplomat power is pretty straight forward. Choose an opponent. Did you attack this player's active race this turn? If so, choose another opponent. Obviously if this player has just declined, then their active race is not available to be attacked. The absence of an active does not protect them from your power. They are still an oppoenent you did not attack this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Fredlund
Sweden
Veberöd
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:

English is my native language. "whose" is simply a possessive.

Just what I said, "whose" is a possessive that attributes ownership to someone or something.

Anyway, I have got an official answer in another thread and you are correct, you can ally a player without an active race (but I still think it is strange).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.