United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else heading to Historicon next week (July 16-19, 2009) in Lancaster, PA?

If you're not familiar with the con, it's HMGS-East's biggest annual convention and is mostly miniatures-centric. If you're planning to attend, stop by our booth and say hey (Collins Epic Wargames).

http://www.historicon.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
Would have liked to be there for the whole thing but something else came up, now will be lucky to make it for one day.

I would say more than mostly miniatures centric, I would say exclusively miniatures and in fact almost exclusively historical miniatures (out of hundreds of games there are a few sci-fi games and a couple "kiddy gummi-bear" games and a couple sports games but they are miniatures oriented too).

There are literally hundreds of multi-player miniatures wargames covering every period of history, as well as painting demonstrations and various historical and hobby lectures. You do not need to own or bring any miniatures to participate - everything is provided (except in the tournaments but I did not count those in the "hundreds of games").

The hotel is literally packed bursting full of historical miniatures stuff all weekend including the largest flea market and dealer room for the hobby, where you will find some non-miniatures boardgames for sale as well (for instance Clash of Arms is a regular for years now with a booth showing their boardgames and sometimes they sponsor some miniatures events as well... and I saw what I guess is now the LnL-CoH-FLG 'booth sharing conglomerate' at the last Cold Wars I think).

Attendance is well into the thousands every year.

And yet it has to be said HMGS does a superb job of keeping everything organized and running smoothly. The worst part of it is the stupid ATM machines at the convention site are invariably run out of their capacity within moments of convention start but even that lately they have been replenished every day or two.

It also has to be said the convention is probably close to outgrowing the Host - all the extended parking and extra rooms are put into use to support the event and have been for the Summer convention for as long as I remember. But I believe this is the last year it will be Lancaster? If I recall correctly it is moving to Baltimore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishBouzouki wrote:
But I believe this is the last year it will be Lancaster? If I recall correctly it is moving to Baltimore?

Yes, that's correct. There's a lot of talk about that over at theminiaturespage.com. Baltimore in 2010 has been confirmed by the HMGS-E board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
Should also note:
If you just want to check out what Historicon and/or historical miniatures gaming in general is like for one day you should probably try to go Friday or better yet Saturday as the action ramps up. Thursday things are usually still getting into gear especially in the morning, and Sunday unfortunately gets deader and deader for gaming every year it seems... as the hordes all bail out for home - although the dealers do generally remain on duty in the exhibitor area and the bailout makes the flea market on Sunday an excellent time for deals (on what is left by then).

EDIT...

btw here is a pdf link to a Miniature Wargames feature article on Historicon from a couple (?) years ago I culled off the TMP discussion, or one of them, mentioned above.

I am fascinated to see the different perspective our cousins across the pond have on our miniatures conventions. It was a treat to read this. And, being MW after all, some really, really nice photos too.

http://www.historicon.org/HIST2007/files/Historicon2007-MWre...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I thought that was a good article as well- interesting perspective.

Regarding Sunday and the dealers on duty- we have to be there- most shows penalize dealers / vendors if anyone packs up early. Plus, we're paying for that space and those tables...

The last show I did was a great new con called Williamsburg Muster in Feb 09. They had the place until 5pm, but the gaming wound down early in the morning- and officially the hall closed at noon. A couple of guys wanted to play my game so I stayed 4 hours later and ran an impromptu event, teaching them the game as they played each other. In the end, I was the last one out of the place, and the two guys each bought a copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishBouzouki wrote:

I am fascinated to see the different perspective our cousins across the pond have on our miniatures conventions. .

I have made the pilgramage twice, but sadly not going this year. I have to admit it is a fantastic event, and while mainly historical I ended up being chased thru the jungle by cultists in a Pulp adventure, crashing cars in a demolition derby and fleeing from giant spiders with hobbits!

There is enough for anyone's taste, we even played in a Market Garden scenario that was so big we couldn't even see the other end of the table!! Whilst Salute may be the biggest in UK (possibly Europe) it only lasts 7 hours (yep 10 till 5 on a Saturday), where as one game of Valmy or Harpoon could last that long. The good thing is because you're there for 4 days (playing 24hrs/day if you wanted to) you don't feel time pressured. The game play also feels more easy going and less competative, though I do believe the painting and terrain are better at Salute.

Anyway to those going this year, all I'll say is...enjoy!!
cheers
Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little_Black_Dog wrote:
I do believe the painting and terrain are better at Salute.

Pete

I saw some recent pictures of (I suppose) the most recent Salute- and my jaw dropped. I'll have to say the terrain was quite impressive!

I had no idea Salute was only 1 day?! Interesting. I wonder why they don't run it for at least a couple days?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Yes, I thought that was a good article as well- interesting perspective.

Regarding Sunday and the dealers on duty- we have to be there- most shows penalize dealers / vendors if anyone packs up early. Plus, we're paying for that space and those tables...

The last show I did was a great new con called Williamsburg Muster in Feb 09. They had the place until 5pm, but the gaming wound down early in the morning- and officially the hall closed at noon. A couple of guys wanted to play my game so I stayed 4 hours later and ran an impromptu event, teaching them the game as they played each other. In the end, I was the last one out of the place, and the two guys each bought a copy of the game.

It was a good article, and rather accurate, save for this comment: "the
venue was a luxury hotel off a main highway." I had a good laugh at that, but at least he has the 2nd part of that right.

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Heagerty
United States
Stephens City
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there running a game.

It's my understanding that at Salute the games are demonstration games put on by clubs so I would expect them to be better looking than Historicon, which are all participation games and in many cases put on by one person (like mine).

Anyway, it's a blast. If you're into wargaming or any kind of miniatures, you should check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.