5 Posts

Boggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boggle rules - Dictionary - proper nouns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Haroway
Australia
flag msg tools
Looking at the rules according to Wikipedia - it says to select a dictionary and go by that.

But elsewhere it ALSO said that proper nouns are NOT allowed.

Some proper nouns ARE in the dictionaries !!!
Some are not in the Dictionary

eg Erin, Michael

Are proper nouns allowed in Boggle

Please show me the rule on this

Mikefive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Proper nouns are definitely not allowed. You could just play with the dictionary but exclude the proper nouns. You could also get an Official Scrabble Dictionary or use the official Scrabble website's built in dictionary: http://www.hasbro.com/scrabble/en_US/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teabo wrote:
Proper nouns are definitely not allowed. You could just play with the dictionary but exclude the proper nouns. You could also get an Official Scrabble Dictionary or use the official Scrabble website's built in dictionary: http://www.hasbro.com/scrabble/en_US/.

Having a Scrabble dictionary around makes a lot of word games so much easier and more convenient to play and not quibble, it's indispensable for any household or game group that likes word games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry but does boggle really require this level of due diligence, we can usually come to consensus as to what counts and what doesn`t without any outside assistance from the dictionary. I cant imagine Boggle being that cuthroat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kelem
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mb
Why is consulting a dictionary cutthroat? Anal, perhaps, but not cutthroat. Cutthroat behavior includes betrayal, deceit, and revenge.

Since the official rules are a bit ambiguous, the players have to agree on what words to count: proper nouns, foreign words (how common in English do they have to be to be acceptable? What about when someone from a city that has a lot of ethnic cuisine plays with someone with no exposure? Can you count words from the, e.g., Indian and Asian cuisines?) What about acronyms? Which acronyms? In Silicon Valley, FET, MOS, LCD, CMOS are common place. Which slang?

Once the players understand the limits, they can have fun playing the game without too much argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.